Sudan Elections

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by shape.when.wet, Mar 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been offered the opportunity to get involved with the independent monitoring of the upcoming elections in Sudan next month. I'd love to go, but it's proving a hard sell to my partner and work, who are of a rather nervous disposition.

I've done some poking around on the internet but was wondering if any of the trusty ARRSE membership might have some personal experience of the situation out there at the moment, or any perspectives that might allay the fears of nearest and dearest. So far my understanding is northern Sudan currently = 'fine and quite a nice place actually' and the south = 'dodgy as hell'.

Wasn't sure where to put this, it's sort of current affairs but I was after rumour too. If it goes tits up I'll not be expecting a whip round on arrse for the ransom money. But a care package of mags, a bar of soap and some Percy Pigs from M&S would be gratefully received.

Also wanted to add that I was informed my previous experience in the TA was an advantage, as there might have to be some digging of latrines in the desert. Which sounds about right.

2. little bump (it's a slow day) =|

Shurely there must be some tips from people on here, at least on how to calm worried people down before going to far more dangerous places than this :?
  3. Would that be with UNMIS or EU EOM?
  4. I know a bloke who was flying aid in and around Northern Sudan (IIRC) and the little he told me does confirm what you've already found out about that part of the country.

Mind you, this was a couple of years ago.
  5. Neither, an organisation independent to both, but working along side.
  6. ffs DONT call your teddy bear "mohamed" :lol: :lol:
  7. As above, not direct experience, but I knew a girl a couple of years ago who did some research work on ex-combatant reintegration in the north, mostly working independently. She was about 5'1 and despite the very modest outfit she wore for obvious reasons, she was clearly western and gorgeous with enormous breasts - a really bad mix in a recent war zone. She never had any serious problems apart from the stroppy local security forces, and even then that was just jumpyness and red-tape. If she can manage to do it I'm sure you can :D
  8. I should be alright then, my tits are tiny. Thanks for the tip though, we're allocated a minder/translator, but I'm not sure what auspices that covers.
  9. Thanks for those, they make jolly interesting reading. Not quite the picture the organisation I'm going out there with put to us, but then I suppose personal responsibility and all that...