Suck at press-ups? Read this!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok just some info that might help if you are siht at press-ups.

I have been having tons of trouble with press ups. Maxing out after 20 or so. I couldnt understand it because my arms are like tree trunks and I have no problem bench pressing the equivilent weight at the gym etc.. I was really stumped.

Stabandswat suggested I try the plank.. a pilates exercise. You basicly stay in press-up "up" position for as long as you can. I tired this and found my problem. I could only hold the up-position for about 2 minutes.. thus I deduced that the problem is not in chest/arm strength but in core strength.

I have been working on the plank, holding it for longer each day (now got it up to 4 & 1/2 minutes and doing back extensions and crunches.. I havnt done press ups for about 2 weeks.

Guess what? I tried for a best effort inside 2 minutes today and knocked out 50 with little problem.

So if you suck at press ups, work your core!

2. Hrm... interesting.

I've managed to increase from about 20 to 35, but I've been stuck at 35 and can't seem to go more than one or two higher before failure.

Will definately give this is a go though, thanks JayCam and stabandswat :thumright:
  3. MS_Rep

MS_Rep RIP

Don't be embarrassed if yr a fat unfit ******?

Just keep stealing the O2 :wink: :wink:

btw I did press-ups for 40+ years and look what fcuking good it did me :roll:

I'll be sticking to the red wine from now on thanks :lol: :lol:

sorry to reduce this to lower common denominator stuff but i'm pissed - that so much credence is placed on press-ups.

Remember always that pain is merely an emotion...

Like an orgasm it's short lived and you are usually left wanting more.

(Big Mac is on order :wink: )
  4. wot exercises work your core stregnth??
  5. ^Dorsal raises
  6. You should be doing dorsal raises as part of your regime anyway if you are doing sit-ups as everything in your body needs balance. If you do sit ups it stands to reason that you will grow the muscles and 'tighten' them. If you don't counter this with dorsal raises then you run the risk of back problems from walking around bent over!! (read this in men's fitness a few moons ago)
  7. Yeah dorsal raises. If you have gym access try doing seated rows, bent over rows and deadlifts (be carefull with the bent over rows and deadlifts.. get someone to show you good technique).

Also for abs make sure to do twisting sit ups, crunches and that exercise that you see boxers do where they come up in sit up position and twist their bodies from side to side (watch Mr T in Rocky 3 lol). These will make your abs like steel.

Squats are also good for developing general lower body strength.. again get someone to show you. This is a personal opinion only but dont bother with one of those stupid exercise balls.. pussy magainses like mens health will tell you to get one but IMO its all bull.

8. Ha ha ha, joking aside I found that doing pyramid press ups did the trick, went from doing 25 to 30 to over 50 in about 4 weeks.
  9. A good method I have found to get the rate up is when at home vegatating in front of the TV, or when you get up to get another beer or go for a smoke is to do 10 press ups. Also do your maximum amount before and after going for a run/swim and before before going to bed and when you get up in the morning. Takes about 7 days before I am up in the 60's with both - then it is just a matter of maintaining.
  10. DPCW, I have taken that on board and I am now in absolute agony and can no longer hold my beer without getting wet.
  11. drink not spill is the law!
  12. And I'm a long way into three figures 8O
  13. Thanks for putting this up! I'm having the same problems. OK my arms aren't the proverbial tree trunks, but they are pretty developed and bigger than most people's.

But I'm new to the concept of 'core strength', could someone explain it in lay-speak?

I'll come back in a bit with how long I can hold the plank;)
  14. A mere 1min 45!

I suck! 8O

I can do the 44 in 2 minutes, but it's not the easiest thing I've ever done. I'll give this a shot :wink: