Such a sad story!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by destroyer, Aug 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read that the chap who went to Antiguia with his wife on honeymoon and got shot, has just passed away, god rest his soul.

I don't know why, but this story moved me far more than the usual Brit killed abroad news item. It just seemed so dreadfully sad.

The question I asked myself was, "is he better off dead, after such a terrible loss?" I just couldn't decide!

As for the feckers who perpetrated this insidious act, I hope they get caught and hanged ( I believe capital punishment is still practiced in some Caribean countries).

Such a complete a totally senseless waste of life.
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just saw that myself,Apparently he was Ex-RE.
    RIP to his lady & himself.
    Condolences to the families.
  3. Such a tragedy, I saw the chap's parents on the box last night and tried to put myself into the father's shoes, not a good feeling.

RIP to both of them
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Absolutely horrendous story.

I truly feel for the families of the couple at this time, and extend my sincerest condolences.
  5. This is a sad story, no doubt. I feel for all the families involved.

However, i must ask why this story has had so much air-time. Is it because this is so unusal or is it because the couple involved were an upstanding middle-class pillars of society (GP and Phsyio), in a paradise location?
    Playing devils advocate, would the story have had such a dramatic impact if he'd been a mechanic and she was a cleaner, on honeymoon in Florida?

I don't mean to devalue the loss, but I do question the medias motives.
  6. Probably not Jim, but it is nonetheless a tragedy
  7. I wasn't saying it wasn't a tragedy. For such a thing to happen to anybody is beyond words.

All I was trying to get at is that I don't understand why the 'working' and 'lower middle' classes in this country who make up the majority of the population are somehow sub-human to the upper classes with respect to the media.

For example take the Maddie Mcann case vs the Shannon Matthews (before the deceit was uncovered). Most of the initial reporting carried out on the Maddie case concetrated on how this beautiful little girl had been taken from her hotel room, whereas in the Shannon case it was concentrating on the fact that the mother had 3.2million kids by 150,000 dads (possible exageration) and the fact they lived in a rough housing estate. There was millions put by the media in rewards etc for Maddie, yet a comparitive pittance for Shannon.

Why? Is the lives and suffering of those in Notting Hill somehow more extreme and painful than the lives and suffering of those in Moss Side? Do people really empathise more with those that they have less in common with? Or is there a deeply buried sub-concious element of jelousy, in that we like to see those with more money, better jobs etc in pain (much like keying the side of a random Ferrari just because you haven't got one)?

Does it sell more papers? Any journo's on here care to answer?
  8. I get what you mean, and being able to show the picturesque village church where they were married (rather than a bone-chilling council estate) does create a rather fluffier backstory.

But I honestly think that it's an unusual story, and it would have been just as affecting if it was any law-abiding young couple setting out on a new life together.