Success for British teams in World Helicopter Championship

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Sep 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. "The Championship requires the crews to exercise their skills through a number of flying tests including an obstacle course which involves dangling a bucket of water below the helicopter whilst negotiating a slalom course"

Well, it is nice to know that those expensively trained crews are not just sitting on their arses with nothing else to do eh?

After all, it's not like there's a war on....

I would have thought that completing a tour in Afghan would probably be a much greater test of flying skill.

3. Yeah, it's not like you have to practise in a controlled environment or anything first.
  4. Agreed, how the devil can one be expected to fly through Afghanistan with a bucket of water if you have not done it in Russia first.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I met one of the pilots who actually competed along with the transit crews who got the choppers to and from Russia when they stayed overnight in Germany. They claim (half jokingly) it was a fix that a Russian team won.

And yes I can't imagine when it would ever be useful to practice accurately flying a helicopter with something hanging underneath.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I believe that's the reason why the British Army absolutely refuses to take part in any sporting event and currently has 92,000 personnel deployed to Helmand...
  7. Civvie event too.

8. Can any of you helicopter wallahs tell me the name of the sling release system?? my old CO of many moons ago claimed to have invented it and it became known after him, I often wondered if it was true?
  9. Sledge hammer?
  10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I believe it is called the 'Sling Release System'. Next time you see Brigadier Buffy Slingrelease-System please tell him any time for the £20 he owes me. Thanks.

11. Have You been standing to close to the diesel barrel again?
    Besides I've just remembered it was the Royle sling and he was a Lt Colonel.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah. Another MoD procurement fit-up. LCpl Adolf Goatfokker-Stalin developed a far superior system but oh no. It had to be the Royle sling, didn't it?
  13. apparently so!
  14. I have always wondered what the lord flash heart looked like!
  15. What's the betting it was designed by someone else and he just 'passed it up'?