Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by gunit, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if anyone could help.

Was on a course a few months ago and I managed to get a non availability from the Mess due to no space.

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding day subsistance, I claimed NS but was told I wasn't entitled to DS. Turns out all the others on the course all from different units claimed DS. I didn't eat in the mess as the course was a joke and we finished at 3 which would of meant hanging around all day until evening nose bag.

Grateful for any help

2. JSP 752 IIRC,claim on JPA stating all the facts see what they say
  3. Tried ringing JPAC who said they couldn't help me as they don't do eligiblity of claims?
  4. It goes past your JPA HR manager and they will look at it or find out who that is and ring them direct
  5. From the information you've given here (ie your course was at a military unit with dining facilities) any entitlement to DS would be based on travelling time from said unit to your parent unit. Over five hours travel you should be entitled to receipted dining expenses, any less and there is no entitlement.
  6. As stated JSP 752 will provide the answer, however: Day Subsistence (Para Phrased Below)

DS is the re-imbursement of actual receipted costs, up to a DS limit for expenditure necessarily incurred for food and drink during the day for periods of over 5 hours’ absence from the permanent or temporary assignment station, when neither a Core Meal in a PAYD Unit or an Entitled Casual Meal in a non-PAYD Unit can be purchased.

Authority for claims for subsistence within 5 miles of the assignment station, temporary assignment station or home location are normally inappropriate unless the CO, or appropriate delegated officer, is content that the Service person’s duties make it impracticable for them to return to their duty station/home.

DS reimburses breakfast and/or lunch and/or dinner costs, tax and gratuities/service charges, except where NS is also being claimed for the same temporary duty, in which case breakfast costs are contained within NS, and not DS

Service personnel who receive light refreshments, breakfast, lunch or dinner in the working environment or any form of Official Entertainment must not claim DS for the food and drink provided under these circumstances at public expense

The bold bit is the crux, therefore if you had access to military facilities during the day you are only entitled to NS which includes your breakfast. If others have claimed they are wrong.

May not be the answer you wanted, however, hope it helps
  7. What does the travelling time from parent unit to temp duty unit (unit where course took place) have anything to do with it? its 3 hours. Surely it would be distance from camp to hotel or travelling time? I'm confused with your post
  8. I'm a little confused with your question now. I would assume the five hours travel is due to it being reasonable for you to get hungry during that period of time. CAARPS quote of the JSP should make all clear but if you could give more precise details of your movements I'll try to be more help.
  9. It doesn’t, 5 hours is if you go away from any military facilities for 5 hours

This may help Page 154 or 3-1-4 public health warning it may not be the current version
  10. Spot on thanks fellas. your right it's not the answer I wanted but it is the correct one. I'm now happy that I'm not missing out but claiming correctly. Even though I had to hang around camp for 2 hours each night before going home.

Better response that the automatic "no" from the admin cell.

CAARPS thanks.
  11. No probs mate (however, no doubt someone will be along to tell me I am wrong shortly) :D :D

For what it’s worth the JSP is worth a browse if you get time, some interesting stuff that is not widely advertised :wink: