Subsidiary pay for Frontline British Forces in Afghanistan

Recieved this

We received a petition asking:

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to subsidiary pay for Frontline British Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.”

Details of Petition:

“Soldiers are currently risking their lives on the frontline in Afghanistan and Iraq. With the increased risk of death, through constant fighting, as well as the after effects of frontline fighting, soldiers are currently earning £5.05 an hour, with a yearly wage of £14,300 a year before tax compared to a policeman’s wage of £20,000 a year before tax. These brave people are currently risking their lives on the frontline, on a daily basis, sometimes for only £2.45 an hour if in combat for 16 hours a day! Is that how we treat our soldiers in the “War on Terrorism?” This needs to be addressed now, we owe these brave servicemen and women more than £5.05 or £2.45 an hour!.”

Read the Government’s response

Pay rates for UK Service personnel are recommended by the independent Armed Forces’ Pay Review Body (AFPRB), which reports annually to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Defence. The AFPRB’s recommendations take account of broad comparability with the pay of civilian occupations of similar job weight and responsibility within the UK, as well as Service manning and wider economic considerations. This includes comparisons with the remuneration packages available to the uniformed civilian services.

Basic pay includes an additional element called the “X-factor” (currently 14% of basic pay). This adjustment to military pay is recommended by the AFPRB in recognition of the differences between conditions of service experienced by members of the UK Armed Forces over a full career and conditions in UK civilian life, which cannot be taken directly into account in assessing pay comparability.

In February, the Government accepted in full the recommendations contained in the AFPRB’s 2008 Report. These included a 2.6% pay rise for all Servicemen and women – amongst the best in the public sector. There was also a 1% increase in the X-Factor component of basic pay.

As a result, from 1 April 2008, the basic pay of an Army Private has been £16,227 - £25,182 per year, depending on trade and length of service.

The 2008 pay award builds upon last year’s increase of 3.3% – the highest in the public sector for 2007. The 2007 award included a 9.4% pay increase for some 13,000 of the most junior trained Service personnel. The Government has accepted in full, without staging, all AFPRB recommendations since 1999.

Basic pay is part of a wider remuneration package and there have been a number of other recent improvements to it:

· The Operational Allowance, introduced in October 2006, is now worth £2,380 for a six month tour in Iraq or Afghanistan. Longer Separation Allowance, as recommended by the AFPRB, is worth a minimum of £1,161 for a six month tour.

· Financial Retention Incentives have been implemented in pinch point manning areas to tackle specific recruitment and retention problems.

· In September 2007, the Government announced the introduction of the Council Tax Relief Scheme for troops on operations. Currently this is worth about £142 for a six month tour.

The total remuneration package for Service personnel – which includes free medical care, an excellent pension, an operational welfare package when deployed, subsidised accommodation to acknowledge the lack of choice of where a Service person can choose to live and a range of allowances on top of basic salary - is a good one. The most junior trained soldier serving in Iraq or Afghanistan could therefore expect to receive about £20,000 per year plus other benefits.

The role played by the Armed Forces is widely appreciated. Speaking on 6 June 2008 the Prime Minister said, “I recognise the huge contribution our Armed Forces make and we will continue to try to reward them for the dedication and commitment they show, often in very difficult theatres of war. We will do everything in our power in the years to come to recognise the great individual contribution that is made by all members of the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force”.

In September 2007, the Government announced the introduction of the Council Tax Relief Scheme for troops on operations. Currently this is worth about £142 for a six month tour.
Big fcuking wow eh? 142 quid. Great stuff. Well worth 8 months away and the constant risk of minestrike etc.

I heard a recent rumour that the number of people departing has jumped.

I attended a resettlement fair recently and was shocked to find that it was packed solid! They can't all be planning to leave!

Litotes

Litotes said:

I attended a resettlement fair recently and was shocked to find that it was packed solid! They can't all be planning to leave!

Litotes
I dont think its a rumour, and I bet they are! :cry:

Detonator said:
In September 2007, the Government announced the introduction of the Council Tax Relief Scheme for troops on operations. Currently this is worth about £142 for a six month tour.
Big fcuking wow eh? 142 quid. Great stuff. Well worth 8 months away and the constant risk of minestrike etc.
Lets be fair here on a 6 month tour that works out at an incredible 78p a day, almost a third of the price of a pint.

Litotes said:

I now work in Resettlement and believe me, they are!

was it 20k last year that left and only managed to pull 11k new recruits back through?

As much as more pay would be great, our gov simply cannot afford it without lowering MP salaries, Aid to 3rd world countries all that stuff etc, thats just not on is it!... think of those hard working MP's risking their lifes daily.

Latest Threads