Submarines

The Sub Brief channel on Youtube has a nice video about stealth design for submarines. It appears that the famous Skunk Works designed a submarine that would deflect sonar in the same way that stealth planes reflect radar.

Linky
He mentions that the Germans started to do it in WW2, but didn't have computers &c so they did not develop the idea very far.

He also says that old style polaroid cameras have a problem photographing stealth aircraft, because the rangefinders don't work properly when pointed at them.

Ze Germans made the first ever stealth submarine, covered it in a kind of dimpled rubber coating. Was never once detected by sonar, despite cruising around in The Channel and other dodgy areas for non stealth U Boots. For more info, google U-480

Ze Germans made the first ever stealth submarine, covered it in a kind of dimpled rubber coating. Was never once detected by sonar, despite cruising around in The Channel and other dodgy areas for non stealth U Boots. For more info, google U-480
My dimpled golf balls are like that⛳once they leave the tee they cannot be found again.

TamH70

MIA
My dimpled golf balls are like that⛳once they leave the tee they cannot be found again.

Do you not use the bright orange ones then?

TamH70

MIA
About bloody time!!!!

It sounds good, having a conventional-powered version of a nuclear-powered submarine never made much sense to me. It's like putting a steam engine in the back of a Bugatti Veyron and expecting it to be as fast, reliable or sexy.

But, and it's a Kim Kardashian-sized, fleshy but at that - the Aussies don't have an existing infrastructure to support nuclear boats. And from what I've read over the years, that stuff is extremely expensive all along its lifespan. Having a total of twelve boats in the class (if they still build as many as that) is just the start.

From the ABC web site:

Aust - UK - USA Nuclear Subs

To be honest I didn't think Australia would do it this way. With the problems with the French redesign and the recently announced closer links with France I thought they would go back to them and say "scrap the redesign & put the kettle back".

I think it shows an increasing level of concern with China which may, or may not, be due to the problems that I think that country is going to face in the not too distant future as its economy is forced through fundamental change.

"May you live in interesting times" looks like coming to fruition.

The Sub Brief channel on Youtube has a nice video about stealth design for submarines. It appears that the famous Skunk Works designed a submarine that would deflect sonar in the same way that stealth planes reflect radar.

Linky
He mentions that the Germans started to do it in WW2, but didn't have computers &c so they did not develop the idea very far.

He also says that old style polaroid cameras have a problem photographing stealth aircraft, because the rangefinders don't work properly when pointed at them.
Partly true, BUT.... a boat almost never transmits on sonar, as it would be suicidal, telling any/all other boats in the (very large area) exactly where you are.

If the boat has a fire control solution on another hostile boat, the skipper MAY order a single ping to confirm the range. This would be a certain frequency and very narrow beam, thus reducing vastly the problems above.

There are many, many more ways of tracking a submarine. And hiding a submarine.

TamH70

MIA
Partly true, BUT.... a boat almost never transmits on sonar, as it would be suicidal, telling any/all other boats in the (very large area) exactly where you are.

If the boat has a fire control solution on another hostile boat, the skipper MAY order a single ping to confirm the range. This would be a certain frequency and very narrow beam, thus reducing vastly the problems above.

There are many, many more ways of tracking a submarine. And hiding a submarine.

So this was accurate then?

Tarnematte could deflect ASDIC transmissions but it was no defence against sea mines.

The 'rubber' tiles that are fitted to boats are very clever. There are different thicknesses, different compounds and different construction or moulding methods. This all depends on where the tile will be fitted and what it is to be used for. Some are to deflect/absorb and enemy sonar, some to prevent/lower sound/frequency emissions form our boat.

The major problem, and the one that makes the boats look so utidy when they come back, is that most of the tiles have 'air bubbles' as a major part of the design.

Here's what happens: the tile gets stuck on, quite possibly not 100% properly, as it is a barsteward of a job (I know!!). Submarine goes to see and dives. Now, as any fule know, bubbles of air decrease in size as pressure increases. Let's say the boat dives to only 10m - the bubbles will (arguably) only be half their original size. This continues to deep diving depths. Obviously, as the boat comes back up, the bubbles 're-inflate'. Hence, the bubbles and tiles are constantly flexing, which weakens the substrate/glue and the quite simple fall off.

We hate it, as it makes the boat look really scruffy and also, and worse, can compromise the boat.

DAMN! I wrote all that then thought I'd add a Wiki link for you all, where all my blurb is confirmed!! Hey ho!

Anechoic tile - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Anechoic_tile

Latest Threads