Submarine returns from 10-month deployment

Welcome back to the crew of Tireless after what sounds like an interesting trip. They have been deployed since 24 July last year:
BBC News 11 May 2011 said:
A Devon-based nuclear-powered submarine has returned to its base after a 10-month deployment. HMS Tireless travelled more than 35,000 miles (56,300km) during the 307 days the vessel was away from the UK. It was one of the longest deployments of any submarine in 10 years, the Royal Navy said. About 200 families and friends cheered the Trafalgar-class vessel home to Devonport Naval Base after operations in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf.

In a first for a Royal Navy ship, it supported French naval vessels - including the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle - as French aircraft flew in missions over Afghanistan, the Royal Navy said.

Because the submarine was also on patrols to combat terrorism, drug smugglers and pirates, it was on silent running for about half its tour of duty so not to risk revealing itself, it added. It meant that crew members were not able to contact their families for almost half of the deployment.

The crew will now have a long period of leave after a "successful, intense and hard-working deployment", the Royal Navy said.

Respect. You wouldn't catch me underwater for ten months.... mind you, not having to be in contact with The Scarey One.... Nah, seriously, they deserve some recognition - imagine the smell, lack of totty, Jazz mag pages stuck together and endless reruns of "The Cruel Sea", "Brief Encounter" and that bloke in stores who keeps winking and offering some fresh pork.

Give me a splinter scrape, a hexe and a brew, Neil's laptop with its "educational" DVDs, that lamb shank in a mint gravvy with tatties that was tried on us (anyone remember that about 5 years ago?) and syrup sponge pudding with a "Stand to" at a civilised hour like 10:30..... and fresh air.

I wonder where they will go to do the traditional post deployment hotel wrecking.

I wonder where they will go to do the traditional post deployment hotel wrecking.

Don't put the lads down now! Let's invite them up to The Trafalgar in 'Shot for a hearty few beers and maybe a curry later. Naturally, we'll have designated drivers to get our Navy lads safely home after we've all sung the National Anthem and patted them on the back. (Snigger)

Don't put the lads down now! Let's invite them up to The Trafalgar in 'Shot for a hearty few beers and maybe a curry later. Naturally, we'll have designated drivers to get our Navy lads safely home after we've all sung the National Anthem and patted them on the back. (Snigger)
Not forgetting to put the dvd of Army/Navy game on the telly for them.

10 months at sea! my old man was on a couple of the Polaris Class in the 70's and I am sure they were at sea for the maximum of 8 - 10 weeks!

Fcuk that for a game of Matelots!

H.M.S. Tireless living up to it's name. A long time away from home and their families. A great job done by all the crew. Welcome home to them all.

I know I'm a tad old, slow and an Ex-Bleep. It's still early, and I haven't taken me Meds yet.....But does the Royal Navy still operate any conventional diesel-electric subs?

It's a fact. The MOD hires a hotel (or so my mate Yorkie (CD1) tells me) and the boys get stuck in and many a grievance aired and settled and not a few hi jinks too.

But bugger that for a game of sailors - banged up in a black tube for months on end - and far to close to a nuclear reactor.

It's a fact. The MOD hires a hotel (or so my mate Yorkie (CD1) tells me) and the boys get stuck in and many a grievance aired and settled and not a few hi jinks too.

But bugger that for a game of sailors - banged up in a black tube for months on end - and far to close to a nuclear reactor.
Yorkie's half right (last name begins with an 'H' or a 'T' by any chance?). The source of funding would be the submarine's Welfare Fund which makes money from canteen sales of 'goffers' (soft drinks) and 'nutty' (sweets) plus mess quizzes and umpteen games of 'tombola' (bingo), video horseracing, etc. After 10 months away, the total should be quite impressive.

Yorkie's half right (last name begins with an 'H' or a 'T' by any chance?). The source of funding would be the submarine's Welfare Fund which makes money from canteen sales of 'goffers' (soft drinks) and 'nutty' (sweets) plus mess quizzes and umpteen games of 'tombola' (bingo), video horseracing, etc. After 10 months away, the total should be quite impressive.
His name starts with a K and he was CD1 at DEODS for a while, before lumbering me with mahoosive great sea bed mine to steam out, that they nicked from off shore a country that isn't UK.

Which poor b*gger of a Junior Matelot gets detailed to clean out the Captain's, Officers and Senior Rates heads on a daily basis......? and do they have to put up a 'black' to be so detailed, or is that the job of the Wardroom Flunkey?

Which poor b*gger of a Junior Matelot gets detailed to clean out the Captain's, Officers and Senior Rates heads on a daily basis......? and do they have to put up a 'black' to be so detailed, or is that the job of the Wardroom Flunkey?
I think they take turns as it's the only entertainment they get.