Submarine on the Humber

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
watersports enthusiast Pauline Gagg ...
Who said: “All I know is my wetsuit very nearly got even wetter when that thing came out of nowhere! It was massive.”

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The only sub anywhere near the Humber will be one of these:

meat-feast-594x334_WEDS.jpg

Moment 'nuclear sub' spotted off Cleethorpes pier
I have no words.....
"One resident enjoying an al fresco pint at an Alexandra Road bar said: “Why not? We’re home the home of the Red Arrows, the Typhoon, and the Dambusters. I’m quite the military man myself – I completed Call Of Duty WWII on Veteran difficulty without dying once. It’s in our blood around here"

Good one but the sub looks like a Yank Los Angeles class
cleethorpes sub.jpg

Pedant mode off

UORMan

War Hero
Ah, April Fool stories.

Back in 1981, serving at HQ 1 Armd Div HQ at Verden, I wrote a harmless little April Fools’ piece for Soldier magazine about the Army setting an example as good Europeans by metricating the cavalry and doing away with those annoying fractions such as the 14th/20th Hussars and the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards.

I have mentioned in a different thread that a divisional colleague from the 9th/12th Lancers (sadly he has since passed away) thought it was a good idea and persuaded his regiment – then part of 1 Div - to provide a CVRT as part of the joke. They even changed the vehicle’s tac sign to “0.75L” instead of “9/12L”. Suitable pictures were taken and the package despatched to Soldier Magazine.

At Aldershot, Soldier Magazine liked the idea and livened it up by introducing quotes from an old buffer called Lt Col Legge-Poole, with additional pictures showing new regimental badges being produced - I think at Bicester.

All harmless and probably even a bit childish. However, I had forgotten that the monthly Soldier Magazine was published a couple of days before the actual first of the month, which meant that a number of people were taken in. These included the then defence correspondent of the Daily Wail, who ran a major story about the Army’s stupidity in ditching years of tradition.

When other parts of the media poked fun at the Wail for falling for the story, they responded with a leader article berating the Army for producing such a ridiculous piece and wasting public money. It ended with a harrumph which caused us some satisfaction: “The saddest thing about the whole affair was that it had the ring of truth.”

There were a few follow up letters. One was from the CO of 4RTR, who wrote to Soldier Magazine to say how much he approved of the metrication plan, as it gave his regiment overall precedence in the Royal Armoured Corps.

Gosh, I hadn't realised it was that long ago. I remember all the "old Guard" moaning about it massively. Still Ironic that it has now come true, as no more fractions.
Who remembers the one about the "Guards" taking a trip to the Barbers and having their "Bear-skins" spruced up. Also there was one, but I think it was in the REME "Craftsman" mag, where someone had taken a picture of an ARV next to an MBT, and the angle of the picture looked as it the ARM had a barrel mounted. I think the headline ran something like "REME to be able to defend themselves". Again another "sh!t storm" from the old and bold.

Gosh, I hadn't realised it was that long ago. I remember all the "old Guard" moaning about it massively. Still Ironic that it has now come true, as no more fractions.
Who remembers the one about the "Guards" taking a trip to the Barbers and having their "Bear-skins" spruced up. Also there was one, but I think it was in the REME "Craftsman" mag , where someone had taken a picture of an ARV next to an MBT, and the angle of the picture looked as it the ARM had a barrel mounted. I think the headline ran something like "REME to be able to defend themselves". Again another "sh!t storm" from the old and bold.

I think the bearskin barber April Fool story was in 1980; I suspect it was that which prompted the metricated cavalry idea. I certainly didn't expect the reaction which the latter prompted.

My first inkling of potential problems was a visit to the "Jimmy's Bar" at 1 Div, where I met up with the RAF squadron leader DALO.

I asked, I think politely, for "Two Herforders please, Jonesy" to the 9th/12th corporal serving behind the bar, to be provided with two bottles slammed down in front of us.

Clive, the DALO, was unaware of the metrication story. "Oho, what's rattled your cage, Jonesy?"

"My grandfather and father both served in the regiment before me. Now if they're going to change the name to the point 75 f*cking Lancers I'm putting my papers in", was the reply.

"Oh sh*t", I mumbled into my beer."

(He didn't, though, thankfully)

Anyhow Exercise Joint Warrior is taking place aorund this time.....quite a lot of NATO ASW assets et al are in town.

According to various spotters groups....two or three USN legacy P-3C Orions came in / left at the weekend at the 'Hall,

Cheers

snortypig

Clanker
Anyhow Exercise Joint Warrior is taking place aorund this time.....quite a lot of NATO ASW assets et al are in town.

According to various spotters groups....two or three USN legacy P-3C Orions came in / left at the weekend at the 'Hall,

Cheers
Hull does have a Z berth so that’s not as daft a possibility as it sounds.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hull does have a Z berth so that’s not as daft a possibility as it sounds.
Does it? Where? Saltend jetty might do at a push, but it's not a notified Z-berth on any list I've seen. Up until 2001 one existed, but until the Burghers sort-out their emergency planning it's been withdrawn.

The port of Immingham certainly used to see submarines - I can remember HMS Otter being refitted there in the 80s as part of a comparison exercise with a boat being refitted at Devonport.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The port of Immingham certainly used to see submarines - I can remember HMS Otter being refitted there in the 80s as part of a comparison exercise with a boat being refitted at Devonport.
But HMS Otter was conventional.
X-berth refers to an Op base and refitting yard for nuke vessels, Z-berth is one that is suitable for a visit or stand off by the same type of war canoe.

But HMS Otter was conventional.
X-berth refers to an Op base and refitting yard for nuke vessels, Z-berth is one that is suitable for a visit or stand off by the same type of war canoe.

Thanks. I understand. I was simply pointing that submarines are not strangers to the Humber.

Latest Threads