Submarine: Life Under the Waves. Channel 5 Monday 13th Sep 9pm

A serious question for the nautical types, and I'm absolutely not being flippant. I genuinely want to know:

Given that submariners may be called upon to launch a nuclear holocaust, are they un/officially selected for certain personality traits, or even a place on the sociopathy, autism or Asperger's spectrum?

It must take a very unusual personality type to cold bloodedly obey an order to launch a few thousand kilotons of apocalypse.

Could you do it?

I just don't know.

Edited to add: Maybe if my own country had been devastated and the regime that did it had the general backing of it's own population.

View attachment 604204Seen this on someone’s Instagram claiming the Queen is dead hence the pictures of her being crossed out in the background lol. Anyone got the real reason why they would be taped ?

Looks like the A-Team office at the Felix centre as the DS cross out the operators before the course has even started. Failed face gauge.

My only guess is some kind of “mindset” thing. You only do it to “prevent” flying glass if you think you’re going to be hit by a torpedo.

Although if you’re hit by a torpedo, flying glass from two pictures will be the least of your worries.

Looks more like the queen mother
Definitely an official portrait photo of our current Queen. No idea of the real explanation for the tape.

The camera crew probably did it, all being lefties and republicans.

endure

GCM
I noticed that when they were loading stores some of the boxes were marked “ RN spec baked beans”.

Are these a special “fartless” variety ?
'Not fit for human consumption' the same as Tennants lager...

What are the regulations regarding alcohol on boats?

A serious question for the nautical types, and I'm absolutely not being flippant. I genuinely want to know:

Given that submariners may be called upon to launch a nuclear holocaust, are they un/officially selected for certain personality traits, or even a place on the sociopathy, autism or Asperger's spectrum?

It must take a very unusual personality type to cold bloodedly obey an order to launch a few thousand kilotons of apocalypse.

Could you do it?

I just don't know.

Edited to add: Maybe if my own country had been devastated and the regime that did it had the general backing of it's own population.

Not nuclear related but still a good dit.

My lads girlfriend's father was a.weapons engineer on the Conqueror way back in 82. We were having a few drinks one night and I posed the question,
"I wonder what was going through the captains mind in the seconds before he gave the order to fire on the Belgrano?"
He replied, "Calculations, mate lots of calculations!"

I did a job on board HMS Talent during the Balkans. I will get round to watching the programme and I'm sure it will bring back pleasant memories. I enjoyed my time, found the crew professional (the skipper finished up a Two-Star) if slightly bonkers. I left an Int Corps beret as a memento in the senior rates mess (I was a Cpl at the time but the team was all POs so they bumped me up). We were on station just long enough to qualify for the Nato Bosnia medal.

As the skipper said 'There are only two types of vessels in the sea. Submarines and Targets'. He also said (as I sat on the planes control very briefly) 'Captain's Pipe - Percy is driving and may God have mercy on our souls'
HMS Talent: Five days aboard one of Britain's silent warriors.

A very interesting article about your old boat, although 11 years old. Amazing to think that they can go down to 1,000 feet.

What are the regulations regarding alcohol on boats?
JRs - up to 500ml beer/day
SRs - effectively unlimited.
Officers - unlimited.

There’s also restrictions on how much alcohol you can have in your system before going on watch (either nil, or uk drink drive limit). We have breathalysers to test where necessary.

In effect, you could have a can on coming off watch, but that’s it.

Not nuclear related but still a good dit.

My lads girlfriend's father was a.weapons engineer on the Conqueror way back in 82. We were having a few drinks one night and I posed the question,
"I wonder what was going through the captains mind in the seconds before he gave the order to fire on the Belgrano?"
He replied, "Calculations, mate lots of calculations!"

Reminds me of the urban legend about the US Army sniper being asked by a journalist what he felt when he killed another human being.

"Recoil," the sniper replied.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I switched over when I saw so the blurred faces. Seeing the blurring of faces on so many programs now is really starting to bug me.
If I'd been serving on board, I would not have wanted my face shown. Too many mentalists out there these days.

Pompeyexpat

Clanker
My only guess is some kind of “mindset” thing. You only do it to “prevent” flying glass if you think you’re going to be hit by a torpedo.

Although if you’re hit by a torpedo, flying glass from two pictures will be the least of your worries.
Exactly that. FOST driven b******t that I thought had gone away about shattered glass from shock events causing injuries.

The editing is shocking (showing the boat diving, then showing the CPO(S) cutting hair in an empty soundroom so clearly on the surface) but I don’t imagine it’s noticeable to many so doesn’t really matter. I don’t know why they wouldn’t have made it clear that the boat was undergoing Operational Sea Training for at least some of it, unless it was to increase the drama.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The same reason that windows were taped up in WW2? ( Bomb damage, flying glass) :p
Clear tape would also do that but shirley if that was the case, non fragmenting glass or other material would be used in the first place!

Latest Threads