Submarine: Life Under the Waves. Channel 5 Monday 13th Sep 9pm

An interesting watch. Just watching the original perisher course on you tube I first watched in the 80s. As a former infanteer hats off to submariners.
Strange really isn't it? I feel exactly the same about you poor sods lying in holes full of cold water. No sarcasm implied or intended.

I also feel sorry for the fact that you were only allowed one snorker! Sarcasm intended!!

This could have been a more interesting article. My thoughts are that the designer never checked Google or YouTube for pictures of inside SSBNs and that his 'advisors' must have been on drugs!

Stand by for tomorrow's exciting finale!!

Yokel

LE
At least it provided employment for the set builders.

48354483-10026115-image-a-167_1632516881920.jpg

Just out of interest - does anyone have an idea of how much this would have cost?

Last edited:
At least it provided employment for the set builders.

48354483-10026115-image-a-167_1632516881920.jpg

Just out of interest - does anyone have an idea of how much this would have cost?
That’s the Faslane stores inventory for a year.

Re layered defence, SCOTS YEO when they existed had a part in that, centred around Rhu Narrows IIRC.

C19A8346-5C11-496D-B644-4305CBCB6190.jpeg

Last edited:
Just watched the documentary on The Perisher course and one of the candidates / victims used this to great effect. Clever stuff.

I did a Command Course in a different field that was similar in that you were expected to deal with whatever came your way. There the difference ended in that ok, balls it up and it got very dangerous, very quickly but we didn’t have people actively trying to make life difficult. Enormous respect to submariners generally but those that get through The Perisher must be quite something?

On the subject of the characteristics of sea water: I did a stint in Gib and we were accommodated in HMS Rook. The bar filled up with very pale people one evening and I got chatting with them. One said that the salinity of the Med is different to that of the Atlantic. This affects water density (or was it osmosis, I was struggling with the brandy sours / technical aspects by this point). This then creates two different currents through the Straits, one deep, one shallow that flow in opposite directions. A trick for boats trying to sneak through (ISTR he mentioned the Sov Black Sea fleet routing via the Bosphorous?) was to “hang” in the relevant layer and drift through on the current?

Wind up or Gen?

There is fiction and fantasy. And then there is the real thing, tested in adversity to the extreme.

'....The ship and her company are gone, but the example and inspiration remain'

Wanklyn.jpg
Wanklyn.1.jpg

Last edited:
This could have been a more interesting article. My thoughts are that the designer never checked Google or YouTube for pictures of inside SSBNs and that his 'advisors' must have been on drugs!

Stand by for tomorrow's exciting finale!!

The kicker for me is this comment...

"Mr Sayer had begun by studying the design of former submariners to learn about their inner workings. His sketches were then turned into a convincing 310ft-long set in three-and-a-half months"

Union Jack

Old-Salt
"We got advice on the layout and detailing from ex-submariners,' he told Radio Times.

'We'd say to one, 'Imagine if a guy left the missile deck, where does he walk to? What's through that door?' 'Then we'd ask another one about where the bomb shop was in relation to the control room, so we could jigsaw it together.'" - Daily Mail 24 Sep 21

If that's true then either some of those asked were suffering from alcohol induced severe memory loss, or were more likely enjoying a major piss-take.

Jack

One problem with boats is that some large holes must be cut into the hull during a refit, in order to get old kit out and new kit in. The hull is in the order of 2 inches thick, but each time there is a hole cut, then re-fixed, the maximum safe diving depth of the boat is reduced
The superb book Hunter Killer relates the story of HMS Sceptre, trailing a Delta, literally bumped into it, resulting in the Delta's propeller gouging an inch deep cut in the outer casing...