Submarine: Life Under the Waves. Channel 5 Monday 13th Sep 9pm

Faded

Old-Salt
https://www.channel5.com/show/submarine-life-under-the-waves/

Haven't seen this advertised much but just started on Channel 5.

1631563916541.png

I know it‘s telly, and all about the editing, but:
patrol beards and jerseys! Having known a few sun dodgers over the years and how things go ( second hand), this could be fun.

I thought that was bloody good.

Protecting the Bomber in a 30 YO boat, with an Ru sub in the vicinity while the engine room catches fire.

Sod that.

Pre deployment training, hence the guys in white overalls and blurred-out faces.

Good watch, though.
Trenchant now laid up awaiting decommissioning.
Even to my STAB eyes the boat looked tired.
The young bloke manning the sonar, trying to PID the Ru boat, what a responsibility. Came across extremely well.
Bet he wasn't even born when Trenchant was laid down

I switched over when I saw so the blurred faces. Seeing the blurring of faces on so many programs now is really starting to bug me.

It’s the law - if for any reason someone doesn’t want their face shown, it has to be blurred out.

When all's said and done, I quite enjoyed the programme. All the scenarios are very much real and each crew needs to be able to deal with whatever comes their way.

I never served as a submariner but once did a trip from Gibraltar to Plymouth and quite enjoyed the smooth trip across the Bay of Biscay (for once).

Utmost respect to the submarine service.

Couple things surprised me . . .

1. No space, provision (SWIDT), to store rations, so tucked-away, in whatever spare corners, spaces, they can find.

2. Our hunter-killer subs, head-off to patrol in the vicinity of, and to specifically protect, the Trident subs. I had thought our hunter-killer subs "just" roamed the depths, looking for targets. But, as the Russian enemy - in turn - is/will be, specifically looking for our Trident boats, suppose it is only logical, that we are more likely to find the Russians, in the vicinity of the Trident boats.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
A very interesting series, we are on a submarine binge having just watched the four-part Perishers series on YouTube. Many questions from me!

However, I once worked in a place doing (non classified) research, which also had some people doing 'funny' stuff. One of our papers got (randomly) pulled for intelligence review, and my director asked what it was about.

For the avoidance of future doubt, the correct answer is NOT:

"[with straight face] Oh that, I probably shouldn't have included that section I wrote about submarine reactors...... [long pause, change in colour of face, steam from ears, shouting etc]

...JOKING!".

I watched it with SWMBO last night. Due to my chronic untidiness she cannot believe I was ever a sundodger! Most patrols are 'war patrols', so a full range of weapons carried. I've also said previously that boxes of tinned food used to be placed on the deck, like a vast edible laminate floor - this was used first so that the deck was cleared quickly.

My work space was called the Sonar Cabinet Space - 'cos that's where the sonar gubbins was! Anyway, one day I asked the cooks if they'd make gooseberry crumble for duff. They asked me why? Did I like gooseberry crumble?

My response was no, but I can't get the lower drawers of the cabinets out to do maintenance due to all the tins of gooseberries!

Watched it with herself, what came across was the cramped spaces, and the almost claustrophobic conditions that the lads have to negotiate and work in. Having to spend up to 3 months in a tin tube, no daylight, cramped conditions, and the chance, however slim, of being totaled by fire, flood, explosion, and god forbid, torpedoed and depth charged, doesn't bare thinking about. My deepest respect and admiration to all sub mariners.:salut:

Watched it with herself, what came across was the cramped spaces, and the almost claustrophobic conditions that the lads have to negotiate and work in. Having to spend up to 3 months in a tin tube, no daylight, cramped conditions, and the chance, however slim, of being totaled by fire, flood, explosion, and god forbid, torpedoed and depth charged, doesn't bare thinking about. My deepest respect and admiration to all sub mariners.:salut:
You realise what came across to most people was how massive the spaces were and not at all like real submarines?
You could have driven a land rover down most passage ways

You realise what came across to most people was how massive the spaces were and not at all like real submarines?
You could have driven a land rover down most passage ways
?

I think you might be getting Vigil (fake) and Trenchant (real) mixed up!

The main access hatch is 28 inches across. The main passage on 2 deck is about 4 feet wide.

Are we talking a toy RC Landrover here?

Latest Threads