Subliminal advertising?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by lost_ulsterman, Sep 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was sat watching the first Matrix film lastnight, and during one particular scene i got quite nostalgic.

I seen the old Nokia slide phone and thought 'I had one of those f*ckers!!'

I know i'm not the only person who got that phone. Every man and his dog had one at one stage.

Is there anyone else out there who was lured into buying something soley because they seen it in a film/TV show?

2. Never tried it until I saw these two Ads...

Now a Massive fan of tins of JWS 8)

Ad One

Ad 2

3. Bought myself a gimp suit after watching Pulp Fiction!

4. I think this is what they call product placement rather than subliminal advertising. I understand that this is frowned on rather than being illegal, which I am sure subliminal advertising is. Haven't seen the film so I have never owned the phone you refer to, and cant think of anything I have bought due to a film/tv show.

5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Everything's a product placement, and has been for years. Are they drinking Coke or Pepsi? What's James Bond driving in this particular film? In 24, the bad guys all use PCs but everyone in CTU is using a Mac. It's a profitable business and, however strong-minded you are, you've probably fallen for it at some point. If you don't realise it, then it's just doing its job properly.

That said, I don't care how good the film is or how fit the girl is... her drinking Pepsi is not going to make me buy that crap over Coke.