Subforums

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jan 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear All,

The COs have kindly given us a couple of subforums, one for recruiting and one for retention.

I would also like to see the recruiting forum being used for questions about joining the TA too, so be nice to the prospective recruits ;).

If you feel that we need other subforums, please let me know and I will ask for them.

Please also post your recruiting ideas, success stories and (if you're hard enough) what didn't work. Ditto for the retention forums.

It may be that the subforums become 'recruiting and joining' and 'retention and career development'. Again let me know,

Cheers,
    msr

2. Good work MSR - many thanks, I'm sure you've been the proverbial terrier (no pun intended :lol:) with a bone to get these two subforums started.

3. ditto. good work msr.

Have seen abacus ask about other subforums, I'd like to see a TA Signals subforum, reason being I've repeatedly posted the same information about trade training etc ...... and I'm sure other corps would like to see their own corps listed ....

Thinking about it a little more it doesn't work well with the one army concept, so would it be a better idea to have TA subforums for all our parent corps or not worth the hassle?

4. msr

msr LE

It would be a nightmare to keep the trolls/ARABs/wah-merchants at bay....

msr

5. If you're going to that length, then you may as well have a different site for the TA. TA questions can be answered in the main site forums

6. msr

msr LE

Merlin,

If you are posting the same info over and over, then you might want to add it to the ARRSE wiki.

msr

7. Maybe a seperate area for Training/Trade Training?

I don't find the site difficult to navigate but a few last night mentioned it is difficult. They (mainly newbies) didn't give me reasons, although they were keeping tabs on some Sigs TA posts (which were spread accross several forums).

8. msr

msr LE

On the wiki you mean? We could get over-run with subforums otherwise...

msr

9. I mentioned a Mobilisation Subforum in a thread relating to just that. I believe that Recruitment, Retention and Mobilisation are unique issues to TA and so there should be demonstrable benefit to separate "Sub-Forums" as the first 2 are starting to demonstrate.

Some TA questions may not been well answered in main forums or may have been answered imperfectly. However, the subject matter experts should still be in each Arm or Service thread so I would always ask in the main thread first. For example, mine is a Tpt Regt - if I had a query about DROPS I would ask in RLC.

Maybe if it is more of an issue than I suspect it would be worth flagging up in "our" TA forum that we can't get help from a main thread.

Back to Recruiting & Retention theme - would it be worth hosting a "live chat" in Chat some night either for new recruits asking "us" questions or for us to chat amongst ourselves about current initiatives? It is fairly easy to set up a separate room in there and most of the regulars would be content to leave us be for those purposes I'm sure. Thoughts?

10. msr

msr LE

On the wiki you mean? We could get over-run with subforums otherwise...

Perhaps I am being a bit selfish here, but I think that fixed subjects like training/ trade training and mobilisation should be covered by PSIs and Training Teams. Recruiting and retention is one area where we can really learn from each other, hence the specific areas.

msr

11. No, I'll find out more.

12. msr

msr LE

Should this not be done by units when they get the potential recruit in through the front door?

I think it's best to keep the chat in the forums, that way we don't lose any ideas.

What do you think about putting the recruiting toolbox into the wiki, so that people can update it and add their ideas in? It would make a really useful resource for the new recruiting and retention NRPS staff.

msr

13. I think it's a great idea - doing it now and will edit in the link to this post when complete.

Done: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Recruiting_for_the_TA&rcid=12001

14. msr

msr LE

Now added the recruiting toolbox itself to the wiki so that everyone can add bits to it.

msr

15. msr

msr LE

Regarding the mobilisation subforum:

I'd like to see how the two we've currently got play out before I go bothering the COs again.

Also, there should be enough info now within each unit to answer any questions that people may have.

Finally, mobilisation doesn't seem to be a problem - it's getting people in and keeping them in which is where we (collectively) are failing.

msr