Subaru model?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by vvaannmmaann, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What Subaru model is this,anyone know? I'm thinking GX 1800 or GL 1800 something like that?

[​IMG]

2. Legacy

or L series

• Like Like x 1
  3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

An old one

4. It's a Leone.

5. It's not a Legacy. In the UK, that model was known as the DL Series. 1.6 or 1.8 litre horizontally opposed 4 banger. 1.8 could be had as a 4x4, much beloved of NI farmers.

[​IMG]

6. Thank you Saucy.

7. Are you looking for one?

8. At least tell us why you are trying to ID a 30-year old car...

(Suddenly remembers first student car - Datsun 120Y - with affection....)

9. i thought i knew my subarus until i saw that, reminds me of the ugliest impreza ever the S201,Lol

10. DL1800

Good four wheel drive system, rot at an incredible rate and drink fuel in vast quantities

11. EFA, but you're dead right, those things dissolved like an unpainted freighter.

12. Not sure I'd agree. We had one (the GL model though), '86, first models with catalytic converter and non-permanent 4WD. It was in service till 2000, when it gave in to rust and had 100,000 miles, original clutch, nothing but minor repairs, petrol, oil and tires.

Compared to today, it is obviously a pile of shite, however, for the mid 80s, it wasn't all that bad and we used the 4WD a lot. Come to think of it, no one else really had 4WD on regular passenger cars...

13. Depends where you live I suppose but show them a bit of salt and they rapidly rot away.

14. We had one of these in Brunei, Mk1 DL
    [​IMG]

Bought in 1979 brand new, sold in 1984 and still looking good.

Brunei has 100% humidity and is coastal so most things rust fast. I do believe that Subarus bought there had additional rust proofing treatment. Z-bart I think.

It made an impression on me (especially the plastic upholstary)..so I now run a Subaru Outback myself :)