Subalterns in the Guards' incremental companies

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by MadeUpName, Aug 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning gentlemen,

I have a few questions about being a platoon commander in one of the incremental companies.

1. I gather that newly minted guardsmen in the Grenadier, Coldstream or Scots Guards start off in one of these companies before being posted to the battalion. Is this the same for officers? Is it compulsory to do a stint at some point or can you remain in the battalion for your entire commission?

2. What exactly does a platoon commander do in an incremental company other than the obvious public duties preparation?

3. How different is it from being with the main body of the regiment?

Many thanks,
    MadeUp

2. I'll have a go at answering Q2, on the basis it's simple...

You'll be doing all the Plt Cdr stuff your oppo's would be doing in any other Bn. Only this time your lads are based in Central London, and they've got absolute standards to meet. This will mean you going down the nick to get them out, writing reports and/or letters about their behaviour, organising stuff for them to do whilst not doing ceremonial duties, trying to avoid the OC and his latest random job, doing the latest random job the OC has just stiffed you with, trying to slink away slightly early so you can meet the young lady who you last saw in some nightclub. At some point you might have to do some work, and if your OC is keen/good, get cracking on your MK stuff.

I can say all that fairly confidently, despite having been nowhere near a Guards Battalion or Incremental Company. It's pretty standard fair as a Junior Officer.

Failing that, I think Patrick Hennessey spent some time at an Incremental Coy and wrote about it in his book.

3. What he said