Sub-unit property - restoration?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by django_strikes, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I am experiencing a fairly quiet period at work and have got around to sorting out the sub-unit's property and history etc.

There is a magnificent uniform from one of the Former sub-unit commanders, complete with sashes and the medals he had been awarded. Unfortunately, due to the movements of the sub-unit since it's presentation, not only is the display case looking a bit sorry, but the medal ribbons have faded completely.

My main sticky is this:

Should I look into replacing the medal ribbons, or keep them as they are (and presumably original) for the sake of authenticity even though they are almost white (faded from several colours) and in danger of tearing through with any future moves?

Smaller stickies are easy - which pictures to re-frame etc as the old ones are in disrepair. Obviously if anyone knows of an MoD department that chucks out free cash to help in such repairs I would eagerly receive the info!

We are not the richest of sub-units but we will do our best to reverse the unfortunate neglect from the last 60 years of custodianship!
  2. Have you considered getting in touch with your regimental/home HQ and seeing what their museum can do for you? They will have access to the experts, with perhaps less of the expert fee. They may also be able to tell you where there are non-public funds available, or even associated trusts for this kind of thing.
  3. No - I haven't, but I now will. Thanks common sense was realigned by the boredom! Needed ARRSE to kick start things (a kick in the ARRSE?)!