Sub spotted

Could it be that the Dutch were taking the piss out of the Andrew by having a barbecue on their boat in British coastal waters :) ....
2-sausages.jpg
What's that coming out of the sun?

1617567636170.png

Thread drift...

HMS Dolphin used to be the submarine base in Portsmouth. The approach to Portsmouth is narrow and complex, with shifting sandbanks and currents, narrow channels and other hazards (e.g. the Mary Rose), meaning the subs had to wait off-shore for the tides to be just right before approaching the harbour. If the sludge-skimmers misjudged the tide, they could easily end up on a particular sandbank. That sandbank became known as “Promotion Point”.

In terms of naval cock-ups, it was considered fairly minor; it was recognised as a very complex environment, there was no damage to the sub (it was on sand), and the next high-tide (twice a day) resolved the problem. However, it was still a grounding, and someone had to be punished, usually with a loss of seniority.

If you happened to be a submarine commander, who, unfortunately, had failed to gain promotion before becoming too senior for promotion, a grounding and resulting loss of seniority would put you right back into the promotion zone.

And, the next time they wanted to promote a sludgie, the admiral would look at everyone with the correct seniority, recognise the name for some reason and, as there would be no black marks in the candidate’s paperwork, conclude that the name was familiar because they’d heard something good about them. Therefore, they would be a good person to promote...
Slightly apocryphal story based on a more prosaic practice, I suspect.

The reality is that heading into Haslar creek is not a simple manoeuvre, even at slack tide.

Safe submarine captains came into Portsmouth through the normal channel, turned around the buoy (the name of which escapes me), and headed up into the creek.

The ballsy ones or those with a bit of chutzpah, would enter through the channel and then take a hard left as soon as they thought it was safe to do so, ignoring the defined safe route.

I imagine that one way or another, it would get them noticed.

I was in Pompey for the first time since 85 the other year and I was surprised at how much has gone. What was the name of the base to the left of the Gosport Ferry where they've built a hideous shopping centre now? Used to get the picket from there across to Dolphin when I'd missed the last ferry (and if I missed that it was another night sleeping on the tables in the scran hall of Nelson).

I was in Pompey for the first time since 85 the other year and I was surprised at how much has gone. What was the name of the base to the left of the Gosport Ferry where they've built a hideous shopping centre now? Used to get the picket from there across to Dolphin when I'd missed the last ferry (and if I missed that it was another night sleeping on the tables in the scran hall of Nelson).
Seaton Bks opposite the castle has gone as well

HMS Vernon.

I spent a short time on the small boats, which used to operate from Dolphin pier head back in '88, back when I was an obligation free baby sailor.

Got a lot of happy memories from that time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Safe submarine captains came into Portsmouth through the normal channel, turned around the buoy (the name of which escapes me), and headed up into the creek.
Gilkicker? Springs to mind.