Sub spotted

HCL

LE
What is it?

Stuck on some rocks very probably.

The Andrew do have traditions to keep up you know.

That truly dates you. And for null points, can you name the booze company that ran full page ads in most of the nationals the morning after?

I listened to a podcast episode (cold war conversations) about a Brit submariner's experience on diesel boats in the 60's and 70's. He describes an exercise with the Canadians where his captain decided to "bottom" the sub where he knew the depth was ~300 ft but not what the floor consisted of.

The sub bottomed successfully & they camped out at the bottom whilst Canadian ships tried to detect it.

When they decided they'd had enough & the oxygen & batteries needed refreshing they discovered the sub wouldn't budge! They filled the ballast tanks entirely with oxygen & only after an agonising wait did the sub shoot up to the surface.

On inspection, a lot of the sub including the top of the sail, was covered in mud!

It's a tin of people.

bob231

War Hero
sh_sub_walrus_o1.jpg

Library picture - from Google.

What does the extension abaft the fin do?

The Dutch Walrus class are specifically mentioned in the Fire and Ice paper from the Human security centre. See pages 57 and 58.

Must defend the flanks....
Again at a guess, it is whence the tower array is streamed. Keeps it nice and clear of the propulsor.

Yokel

LE
Something to smooth water flow around the tower?

Possibly. I imagine the design was tested in some hydrodynamic test tank so would have been tweaked for efficiency and quietness.

Again at a guess, it is whence the tower array is streamed. Keeps it nice and clear of the propulsor.

Do SSKs have towed arrays? The things you learn...

It is of course entirely possible that NATO SSKs could operate a part of a task group centred around one of our carriers....

Possibly. I imagine the design was tested in some hydrodynamic test tank so would have been tweaked for efficiency and quietness.

Do SSKs have towed arrays? The things you learn...

It is of course entirely possible that NATO SSKs could operate a part of a task group centred around one of our carriers....
It's a snort exhaust diffuser.

Yokel

LE
I’m gonna grass on em to Dönitz.

There’s absolutely no social distancing going on there.
It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

That would be funny, if it were not for the fact that someone complained that the crew of our submarines, back from patrol, held a barbecue party on the casing after they got alongside.

That would be funny, if it were not for the fact that someone complained that the crew of our submarines, back from patrol, held a barbecue party on the casing after they got alongside.

Well that person should be invited to sit on the casing, then they should put to sea.

slick

LE
Could it be that the Dutch were taking the piss out of the Andrew by having a barbecue on their boat in British coastal waters :) ....
2-sausages.jpg