• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SU-30MK Video

(TW: This was sent to me by an Old retired American USAF fighter pilot.These are his comments.)

Any way you slice it, this is pretty impressive. Great camera work.
This remarkable aircraft and it's pilot demonstrates what I thought
impossible for a high speed jet fighter. In the SU-30MK, Russian
aviation has surpassed that of the US and it's allies. This truly
impressive fighter can stall from high speed flight to stop in less than
a second.

It can fall back on it's tail, without compressor stall, and
go into a flat spin and recover in less than a minute. There is no
aircraft in any country's inventory that could stand up to it in dog
fight.

http://www.crazyaviation.com/movies/CA_SU-30.wmv

blue_sophist said:
S**T - won't play on my laptop. Talk us through, Flash! 8)

Big fast Ruskie cab goes in up quickly, stops, turns round, comes back down, spins a few times, goes backwards whilst going forwards then stops again (lots of nice smoke), goes up, down, round and round, stops, spins, zooms off, turns round and round, goes down then up, stops does a few twizzles then goes up again (lots and lots of smoke), zooms one way then the other, pulls up, stops and turns around a bit then comes down (not so much smoke this time), whizzes along a bit then pops his gear down, lands, stops and what is remarkable for a Ruskie cab doing a display is he doesnt eject half way through!

Surely the going backward when facing forward bit isn't exactly fair - haven't the Ruskies heard of Cricket? Cos that definitely isn't cricket...

The thing to remember is this isn't a cobat jet - that is it's like the difference between a rally car and the road going version, it's engineered for these displays to show off. The Actual fighter would have differet characteristics.

Nice display. Probably a pilot from the Knights or Swallows. And the plane certainly looks good to. I didn't think that Russian aircraft could pull those moves. Obviously i've proved myself wrong.

Vaughany said:
Nice display. Probably a pilot from the Knights or Swallows. And the plane certainly looks good to. I didn't think that Russian aircraft could pull those moves. Obviously i've proved myself wrong.
No, Sukhoi have proved you wrong.

Mong

Very pretty. Would very much like to see them try it when bombed-up and full of fuel.

It's got to be a rather expensive proposition to operate like that, despite the relatively low cost of the aircraft. Apparently, the jets have a really short airframe life compared to their Western competitors even in regular service and if they practice this stuff on a regular basis, the Sqn SEngO probably dies from a stroke every time he gets handed the data from the fatigue meter.

So what?

He looks the coolest hombre under the sun when he parks up on the apron and thirty Airshow groupies line up to blow his legs up.....

Airframe fatigue...Pah! Its cool and thats more important

crabtastic said:
Very pretty. Would very much like to see them try it when bombed-up and full of fuel.

It's got to be a rather expensive proposition to operate like that, despite the relatively low cost of the aircraft. Apparently, the jets have a really short airframe life compared to their Western competitors even in regular service and if they practice this stuff on a regular basis, the Sqn SEngO probably dies from a stroke every time he gets handed the data from the fatigue meter.
As has been said, its a systems and technology demonstrator. If the display flogs a couple of jets, it’s done its job well. It would be a pretty dull display if it did its real time role as a display.

Commentator: 'If you look up to about 35000' you will see the SU30 simulating an engagement BVR. Ok, it’s gone now......and now the Dead Sparrows......'

It has certainly got the likes of Lockheed and GD scratching their heads with more than a little jealousy.

It may well have been the case a few years ago regarding the typical life span of the Eastern bloc kit but that is not the case anymore. Back in the old days, they didn’t need to build in years of useful service or even masses of quality control. Its advantage was in sheer numbers. Now though, they want to flog the kit all over the world and in some cases, in direct competition with the shiny yank kit. I'm not saying they compare in technological terms or quality control but the gap is closer than it’s ever been.

(And when the US defence budget finally breaks, they will be thawing out F100s from AMARC ;))

FWIW. The Boeing Apache demonstrator gives a thrilling display but that too has a very limited component life and the display content has zero tactical benefit. Again, it’s a display meant to excite and thrill. Be dull if all it did was pop up from behind cover 8 kms away then disappear again.

Latest Threads