Stuttering PC - what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Victorian_Major, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Wisdom of Arrse

My PC has recently developed a 'tic' - there is a tiny freeze in the beat rate of the computer so that about every second or so the computer freezes for a millisecond. Best way to spot it is by moving the mouse pointer in gentle circles and you can see it stop briefly.

Any ideas what's wrong? It's no problem for work but a pain for movie playback and games.

Dell Precision 690 with hodloads of memory and processing power, running Vista 64 Ultimate.

Thanks!

2. check your event logs, and processes

3. msr

msr LE

Which antivirus are you using? (My guess is McAfee which came bundled with the PC)

Try disabling it temporarily and seeing if the problem goes away.

4. There's your first problem. Knowing Vista, your PC is probably doing that for absolutely no reason.

Buy Windows 7 x64 or chuck an old XP on there. You'll have a better time with your PC that way.

As said above, check your system event logs to see if there's a persistent error in there. Failing that, boot the PC in to safe mode. If the issue disappears when you're in safe mode, you know it's an application/software driver causing the problem. If it's the same, you might have dodgy video card drivers or some crap RAM.

5. Kaspersky is the antivirus. It's not responsible.

Nothing particularly telling on the event logs - certainly nothing occuring every second.

Safe mode doesn't exhibit the problem. So looks like I have to wade through the apps...

Thanks!

6. I'm disaapointed. I thought the thread would be of the "y -yy-- er --y your n-n-nicked" sort.

7. msr

msr LE

I would be looking at something unnecessary running at startup: click on the start button and type msconfig, go to the startup tab then uncheck the applications you don't think should be running on boot. You can always go back and re-enable them later.

I would also check that your drivers are all up to date. Any updates should be listed under Start -> Control Panel ->Windows Update -> Optional updates.

msr

8. Plug in an external hard drive and see if it runs a programme ok from that. If you eliminate software issues you could have a problem with your HDD.

Try defrag too and see if that helps.

9. It doesn't happen in safe-mode, so not a HDD issue.

10. Probably is a background programme issue then... as mentioned it could be anti virus.. I had a similar issue on my old PC.. had pretty poor RAM too. Gave me an excuse to buy a new one despite the long haired RSM's protestations! Good luck anyway!

11. Your PSU may about to fail.

12. msr

msr LE

It's not antivirus, he's told us that. Do try to read the whole thread before making unhelpful comments.

13. Interestingly it has now added an alert to the boot sequence, claiming that I have a memory configuration mismatch and urging me to 'enter setup for Memory Info details'

Msconfig seems to be doing the trick... It's not the startup services, I've turned these off and the problem persists so I'll work through the apps.

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you can sit with task manager running and see which service is peaking, it could be the cache settings, memory leak if its sharing with video ram, indexing service which is just a nuisance or possible a bit of malware of a botnet you've picked up

have you tried a restore to see if that helps?

15. msr

msr LE

Have you fixed it?