Stupid Question regarding Warrior Commanders

Hey guys. Lets get the Wah's out of the way, at the start.

Had a debate (argument) with a bloke the other night:

7 Blokes ride in the back of a Warrior. There are 8 Blokes in an Infantry Section.

Do they fight with a man short or does one of the Warrior Crew (commander?) jump out with them?

There's also the practice of a deputy vehicle commander who swaps with the commander in the turret when he dismounts.
So you swap a bloke in the back for the one in the turret at turn round time.

I take it that the firepower in the Warrior turret makes up for the section being one short?

LostBoss said:
There's also the practice of a deputy vehicle commander who swaps with the commander in the turret when he dismounts.
So you swap a bloke in the back for the one in the turret at turn round time.
Lucky him - I would much rather stay in the turret!

The sound of the big beast does it for me. I'd rather have a platoon of dismounts popping away at me rather than thirty tons of warrior moving at 50 K an hour, firing on the the move giving it rooty-toot on the chain gun (just for sheer comedy, scare the crap out of the zulus value) and doing a hard stop on my trench/grave.

Rumble Rumble Roar.

LostBoss said:
The sound of the big beast does it for me. I'd rather have a platoon of dismounts popping away at me rather than thirty tons of warrior moving at 50 K an hour, firing on the the move giving it rooty-toot on the chain gun (just for sheer comedy, scare the crap out of the zulus value) and doing a hard stop on my trench/grave.

Rumble Rumble Roar.
Sounds like you're getting a little excited there :?

LostBoss said:
firing on the the move giving it rooty-toot on the chain gun (just for sheer comedy, scare the crap out of the zulus value)
Presumably the comedy value being the non-stabilised guns just firing in wavy patterns....

msr

msr said:
LostBoss said:
firing on the the move giving it rooty-toot on the chain gun (just for sheer comedy, scare the crap out of the zulus value)
Presumably the comedy value being the non-stabilised guns just firing in wavy patterns....

msr
Oh yes there can be nothing better than watching the tracer bounce all over range, your gunner forgetting his "Marilyn Munroe Sucks Cock" three second burst timing mantra and instead getting his size ten diving boot firmly wedged against the firing peddle, link rattling down the chute, cases bouncing off the front decking.

It may not be pin point accurate, rounds may not patter across the top of the sandbags but by feck if it scares me and I'm on the inside what does it do for the French as they await my charge?

Get in.

Stable guns is for tankies.

Guns for Show, unstabilised electrically driven upside-down food blenders for unstabilised Infanteers.

Unstable infantry?

JoeStrummer said:
AI sectiond have 7 men not 8
That's the origional question answered. Now for another.

How is the Section structured then? Is Charlie reduced to 3 men? or is there 2 Fireteams of 3 each with the Section Commander doing his own thing?

Sect Comd+ 2 blokes - C fire team
- does the crawl fwd and bunker busting bit with 1 man and only 1 other as security or intimate point of fire from close range, rather than 2.
2ic + 3 blokes - D fire team
- Does the initmate manoeuvre sp and F+M with C fire team as per a normal section.

GROWNUPS_BEWARE said:
Sect Comd+ 2 blokes - C fire team
- does the crawl fwd and bunker busting bit with 1 man and only 1 other as security or intimate point of fire from close range, rather than 2.
2ic + 3 blokes - D fire team
- Does the initmate manoeuvre sp and F+M with C fire team as per a normal section.
Cheers.

So who camands the warrior when the section is on foot? Or was it never the section comander to start with?

Referred to above, the DVC, or deputy vehicle commander - normally a lance jack who's listening to the battle on the headphones prior to swapping places with the Sect Comd on the debus.

We didn't like this in my platoon...it took too long, and was reliant on swapping in the FUP inside the vehicle before a run in to attack. We kept the DVC permanently in the turret, exercising his mounted and veh comd skills, and had the sect comd in the back, on the headset, getting situational awareness. Even my Pl Sgt worked it this way, as he hated turrets, and was happy map reading from a 4 inch muddy window (the bastad never got lost either...unlike me...). The Warrior Sgt was always mounted and commanded all the vehicles when I dismounted, which would depend on the tactical situation (how many blokes I was launching and for how long, and where I could best command things).
It made for an oddity of a full screw in the back, and a Lance Jack up top, but we were all comfortable, kept informed, and it was fast and flexible if you had to drop a section off quickly to secure an unforseen obstacle or defile.
This, however, was 10 years ago. Interesting to hear how guys played it on TELIC recently.

GROWNUPS_BEWARE said:
Referred to above, the DVC, or deputy vehicle commander - normally a lance jack who's listening to the battle on the headphones prior to swapping places with the Sect Comd on the debus.

We didn't like this in my platoon...it took too long, and was reliant on swapping in the FUP inside the vehicle before a run in to attack. We kept the DVC permanently in the turret, exercising his mounted and veh comd skills, and had the sect comd in the back, on the headset, getting situational awareness. Even my Pl Sgt worked it this way, as he hated turrets, and was happy map reading from a 4 inch muddy window (the bastad never got lost either...unlike me...). The Warrior Sgt was always mounted and commanded all the vehicles when I dismounted, which would depend on the tactical situation (how many blokes I was launching and for how long, and where I could best command things).
It made for an oddity of a full screw in the back, and a Lance Jack up top, but we were all comfortable, kept informed, and it was fast and flexible if you had to drop a section off quickly to secure an unforseen obstacle or defile.
This, however, was 10 years ago. Interesting to hear how guys played it on TELIC recently.
Your tried and tested solution seems more flexible, surly the comander on the ground with the bods needs the best situational awareness.
Although was it not an advantage that the section comander had eyes on the ground prior to the dismount?

I could ask questions all night, but instead of pissing you off, where could I get information on AI formations and platoon level tactics? I only have access to the inf pam (OTC).

Cheers