stupid question and advice required

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Captainlip, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was born in north yorkshire does this automatically mean I join the YORKS REG, or as im residing in Lancashire will I join the fuselliers? Or do I have a choice?

secondly is all Phase 1 and 2 training for over 17s conducted at catterick?

can anyone point me to the info from the army website for all the info I need to know before ADSC on monday as this is a last minute change from RA to infantry as I feel the RA wont challenge me enough.

thanks for the help.
  2. I was born in Hong Kong, should I have joined the PLA?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. [wah shield]

No, you will join the regiment you choose, if you are able to.

[wah shield/]

That's it simplified down for you, you seem simple.
  4. Couldn't hurt to ask.
  5. Na.......... the pay is crap!
  6. You lot are was a legitimate question from a keen young lad. Let me try to help.

You can indeed join any regiment, although the Yorkshire Regiment might be best for you if you are from Yorkshire.

The pay won't be as good as if you joined a regiment nearer London because southern regiments get paid more.

However, you will get food that you are more used to, such as roast dinners and the like, whilst the southern regiments tend to have richer foods that may upset your stomach. Game Terrine with a wild berry Jus is not to everyones taste.

The same goes for beer and tea.

Lastly, a northern regiment has privilidges a southern regiment wont have. For example, you can wear your beret more like a flat cap.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. hang on a minute, how much more pay? im starting basic on sunday and ive gone for duke of lancs although i am from manchester i was born and raised in barrow in furness so i chose the lancs.

money talks so like i say how much are we talking about? :p
  8. It's good to see you're getting your priorities sorted.
  9. HHH

HHH LE

I don't know what the up todate figure is, but as a private in a southern regt. you got the same pay as a corporal in a northern regt.
    So just ask what your Trg Cpl earns and that's what you would have been entitled to down south, as a private.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. London weighting plus the southern x factor is currently basic daily rate + 30%.

Google London Operational Allowance (LOA).
  11. HHH

HHH LE

I forgot to add if you join 1RIR you get more due to the travel expenses for the Ferries etc.
  12. Yeah, but its not a patch on what the Gurkha units get.
  13. H3

H3 LE

Oh come on ..... You've all missed the mutts nuts of the financial benefits of "The Gibralter Regiment " plus you get to live on the Rock in the sun 365 days a year , only if I had my time over again ...... Oh and the delights of Union street and let's not forget the petrol station with the cqb range by pump no 3 !!!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ignore all the unhelpful banter buddy they're just (for the most part old) and stressed as you will no doubt find yourself a few years down the line. As a Jock who initially joined the Household Cavalry(no offence to all the english fairies who I still adore but), my advice to you is join your local regiment ie lads who come from the area you live in. The banter is better, your social life is better, and if you ever need a lift there is always someone on hand to help you out! Plus if you're that way inclined, when you're stuck in a flea ridden compound in Afghan and seriously considerin refusin to soldier, your Pl sgt may be able to inspire you with tales of men from your area who endured worse throughout the centuries.(just made myself a bit sick there). It all comes down to who you want to fight with mate, we have englishmen in a Glasgow and Ayrshire Battalion, work that one out! Good luck wherever you end up bud, don't let anybody tell you where to go, it's you're choice.