Stupid Fecking Jargon

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by error_unknown, Oct 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On exercise last week I heard, for the first time, my Gunner brethren talking about 'non-kinetic strikes'. This turned out to mean leaflet drops :lol:

Now is it just me, or is this laughable? In the first instance, it could be argued that most artillery effects are the result of chemical rather than kinetic energy, but is a leaflet drop in fact a 'strike' at all, considering that the great majority of leaflets are going to be used for activities like arrse-wiping and firelighting. I'm all in favour of psyops - even done the course - but this seems somewhat OTT.

2. Agreed. It is laughable. And confusing. How would they classify a smoke round?
  3. msr

msr LE

Could you load these shells with fake $100 bills?

It would be most interesting to watch the enemy pile out of their trenches and scrabble round to collect them up and then to follow up with a 'real' round.

4. the spams call Psy Ops/Info Ops a "critical non lethal battle winning system" and they are able to deliver leaflets by Arty*ts!!
  5. Or real ones... of course, that might cause problems with the home team: I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possession, SAH! Oh, apart from this 155mm shell full of money...
  6. Not only is it pseudo-intellectual jargon of the worst kind it's also incorrect. Unless they've changed them artillery rounds go bang because they are full of explosive, not because of their speed. So classifying arty as a kinetic strike is nonsense.

(APFSDS on the other hand pokes holes in things by virtue of its speed alone, hence calling that a kinetic energy round would be accurate.)

Still, that's gunners for you ... a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Not as bad as the gunner officer who demanded to know why a UAV in thick cloud and icing couldn't see the target though - what Regt did he command again ?