Stupid Ammo Question.........

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by MicknDarcyJo, Dec 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, standing by for incoming on this one.......

On my SAA course, the instructor told us that you can identify tracer rounds at night because the red paint on the tip was 'fruit flavoured', and black paint on the armour piercing rounds was 'liquorice'.........

I naturally dismissed this as a pile of bollocks, and reckoned he was just trying to 'wah' us.....

I've now been asked by a recruit if this is actually true, and have had to tell him I'll get back to him on it.....

So, unlikely as it is, is this actually true? Cant say i've ever wanted to lick the tips of 5.56 rounds to find out........

2. Well its a good idea, submit a gems suggestion and earn yourself some money!

3. You will tell us next that blank rounds taste off strawberry bubble gum !!!! 8O 8O

4. Do incendiaries taste of chilli?

What about AP?

5. So you decided to ask here rather than going to the armoury and saying can I lick your red end to see if it tastes different than ball?

Good luck!

7. People like you are the reason why on a bag of peanuts it says "Product may contain nuts" and MaccyD's has to warn people that their boiling hot coffee is, in fact, hot!

8. Juicy 9mm (in the style of arnie)

9. Who told the recruit this?

10. Uh...It wasnt me......Dunno....I'll find out next time I see him.....

Does stand to reason that there'd be a way of identifying rounds at night (short of using a torch), if a box was chucked at you....obviously blank can be identified by touch, but how do you tell the difference between ball, tracer and AP without actually firing it......

11. Have you tried licking them? :D

12. The old phrase of "Eat lead" takes on a whole new meaning. I wonder what wine the waiter would suggest to accompany the 5.56mm Hors' dourves?

13. No.....But I'm going to give it a go next time I get hold of some tracer....

Stand by for a report!

14. a nice chilled fino sherry perhaps as it is hors d” oeuvres, served away from the table :D

15. Butler, Bloody good show that man! I knew you wouldn't let me down. Cheers old boy :D