Stun guns

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by scotscop, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Yes

2. No

3. More research needs to be done

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. What would anybody wish the police to use if not something like these? Pistols?
  3. Better than 'live' ammo or a baton round.
  4. Exactly, yet the civil liberties groups are worried about lasting effects... I wonder if they understand what a real firearm would do with regards lasting effects :roll:

This is another example of a) journalistic incompetence, and b) the state of Science education in schools: CHARGE IS NOT MEASURED IN VOLTS, IT IS MEASURED IN COULOMBS!!!!! Volts are a measure of potential difference!

To me, this ranks alongside those journo scum who say things like "The SA-80 rifle, capable of firing 800 lethal bullets per minute up to ranges of 600m with devastating accuracy", or the Hungerford massacre programme that said that an AK-47 and an M1 carbine could penetrate brick walls at half a mile..... :roll:

/takes anorak off
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

We now know what MC's latest sex toy is then :D
  7. What do you expect?

"POLICE TAKE STEPS TO AVOID HAVING TO KILL NOB-ENDS" wouldn't make too catchy a headline. I think tasers are a splendid idea, not least because they offer the possibility of hitting a "baddie" anywhere on his body and still having a take down effect.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to get yours mind, MC.
  8. Only 50,000 volts? Mine is 400,000! :D

I think these are a great tool for the law enforcement officer, but they still must be used with caution. There are several studies going on because there have been about a 12 deaths in the last several months attributed to their use.
  9. Can i use it on you B_B when (yeah right) i do... go on, please :D
  10. Funny enough I've been "done" with one of the contact "guns".

Once is enough thanks.
  11. I bet you preferred it to 9mm though didn't you? I agree that more research needs to be done but the scum of British society isn't going to wait until we've perfected the stun gun.
  12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

In sunny Iraq the local police asked for new cattle-prod ones when we were helping re-equip them last year. We got some samples in (made in China and not the UK), and ChickenPunk managed to cop a good belt from one - very, very effective.....

Oddly, the coppers said that the locals weren't worried if you pointed a Kalashnikov, but ran fast if a black stick was waved near them, as they were convinced that they were going to get a high-voltage zapping :)

They never did get them as part of their re-rquipping - at least while we were in charge :D
  13. I had repressed that particular memory but you're quite right: it hurt a lot!
  14. There's been a thread discussing tasers in here before but I can't find it. Or rather I'm too lazy.