Do you think they should be used?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• More research needs to be done

• Total voters
Armed police in Greater Manchester are to use electric stun guns following a year-long trial by the force.

All of the force's armed officers have completed training in the taser guns which deliver a five-second 50,000 volt charge which incapacitates suspects.

"We are constantly looking for less lethal options to resolve dangerous situations safely," said Ch Insp John Berry of the Tactical Firearms Unit.

He said it was useful when a suspect had a weapon which was not a gun.

'Less lethal' The gun uses nitrogen cartridges to fire two barbs that trail copper cable back to the weapon.

The charge temporarily stuns a suspect enabling officers to make a safe arrest.

What would anybody wish the police to use if not something like these? Pistols?

Better than 'live' ammo or a baton round.

MikeMcc said:
What would anybody wish the police to use if not something like these? Pistols?
Exactly, yet the civil liberties groups are worried about lasting effects... I wonder if they understand what a real firearm would do with regards lasting effects :roll:

manchestercop said:
...All of the force's armed officers have completed training in the taser guns which deliver a five-second 50,000 volt charge which incapacitates suspects.
The charge temporarily stuns a suspect enabling officers to make a safe arrest.
WARNING ORDER - PEDANT ALERT

This is another example of a) journalistic incompetence, and b) the state of Science education in schools: CHARGE IS NOT MEASURED IN VOLTS, IT IS MEASURED IN COULOMBS!!!!! Volts are a measure of potential difference!

To me, this ranks alongside those journo scum who say things like "The SA-80 rifle, capable of firing 800 lethal bullets per minute up to ranges of 600m with devastating accuracy", or the Hungerford massacre programme that said that an AK-47 and an M1 carbine could penetrate brick walls at half a mile..... :roll:

/takes anorak off

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
We now know what MC's latest sex toy is then :D

What do you expect?

"POLICE TAKE STEPS TO AVOID HAVING TO KILL NOB-ENDS" wouldn't make too catchy a headline. I think tasers are a splendid idea, not least because they offer the possibility of hitting a "baddie" anywhere on his body and still having a take down effect.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to get yours mind, MC.

Only 50,000 volts? Mine is 400,000! :D

I think these are a great tool for the law enforcement officer, but they still must be used with caution. There are several studies going on because there have been about a 12 deaths in the last several months attributed to their use.

Funny enough I've been "done" with one of the contact "guns".

Once is enough thanks.

I bet you preferred it to 9mm though didn't you? I agree that more research needs to be done but the scum of British society isn't going to wait until we've perfected the stun gun.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
In sunny Iraq the local police asked for new cattle-prod ones when we were helping re-equip them last year. We got some samples in (made in China and not the UK), and ChickenPunk managed to cop a good belt from one - very, very effective.....

Oddly, the coppers said that the locals weren't worried if you pointed a Kalashnikov, but ran fast if a black stick was waved near them, as they were convinced that they were going to get a high-voltage zapping :)

They never did get them as part of their re-rquipping - at least while we were in charge :D

E

error_unknown

OldSnowy said:
In sunny Iraq the local police asked for new cattle-prod ones when we were helping re-equip them last year. We got some samples in (made in China and not the UK), and ChickenPunk managed to cop a good belt from one - very, very effective.....
I had repressed that particular memory but you're quite right: it hurt a lot!

We've just had a shooting by police marksman in New Gorbals area of Glasgow.
Victim in hospital in stable condition. Police claim he had rolled umbrella inside a raincoat and used this package in a rifle-like manner. He aimed at two police in a area car. When armed response team was called, he went down on one knee and aimed gun at them. Police opened fire.
Don't know range of offender from police shooter - this could be deciding factor in using stunner or banger. Would taser be an option for real thing or a replacement? I'm a believer in giving law and order best possible means of achieving their purpose with proviso that everytime police marksman opens fire with real firearm he faces a rigorous enquiry. Give him best weapon but kick him hard if he cocks up. I know all about split second decisions but making the right one 99.99% of the time is a matter of training and proper observation at the scene.
To revert to stun just because of "rightous indignation" from the great unwashed every time PC Smith Wesson uses current firepower would be wrong.

WARNING ORDER - PEDANT ALERT

This is another example of a) journalistic incompetence, and b) the state of Science education in schools: CHARGE IS NOT MEASURED IN VOLTS, IT IS MEASURED IN COULOMBS!!!!! Volts are a measure of potential difference!

To me, this ranks alongside those journo scum who say things like "The SA-80 rifle, capable of firing 800 lethal bullets per minute up to ranges of 600m with devastating accuracy", or the Hungerford massacre programme that said that an AK-47 and an M1 carbine could penetrate brick walls at half a mile..... :roll:

/takes anorak off
Well, two can play at that game then!

The voltage is a measure of the emf available to drive the charge around the circuit (power source, wiring & writhing scumbag). You can have all the charge (correctly, as pointed out, measured in coulombs), but without the emf to push it around its as much use as t1ts on a bull.

Just be done with it, and Arm the Police - The old " If the Police were armed then the bad guys would carry guns" just isn't true any more. The Bad Guys are already carrying weapons.

Make all the police do a basic armed course, if they fail - then either they are bound for desk jobs or they leave the police.

As for Taser, its good, it works and it put people on the ground. but like CS all Officers should have the option of having it on them.

Is this going to be a situation of - Public calls 999 , Police Respond, Police Requests Firearms Team, Firearms Teams Muster, Firearms Team Deploy, Firearms Team, ask Permission of Chief Constable for use of Taser, CC rings Home Office, Home offices says YES (But no one remembers who said it!) By then the Police are too late, Bad Guys have done the deed and gone home?

Or will Firearms Teams be able to use their new weapons, without having to pass it up the line?

Tango34_UK said:
Is this going to be a situation of - Public calls 999 , Police Respond, Police Requests Firearms Team, Firearms Teams Muster, Firearms Team Deploy, Firearms Team, ask Permission of Chief Constable for use of Taser, CC rings Home Office, Home offices says YES (But no one remembers who said it!) By then the Police are too late, Bad Guys have done the deed and gone home?

Or will Firearms Teams be able to use their new weapons, without having to pass it up the line?
As I understand it, it's the same rules as 'normal' firearms. MC may know more.
Tango34_UK said:
ask Permission of Chief Constable for use of Taser, CC rings Home Office, Home offices says YES (But no one remembers who said it!)
Most Assistant Chiefs (or Commanders in the Met) have the authority and AFO's have the ability to 'self arm' in certain circumstances. Doesn't go to the Home Office.

Biscuits_Brown said:
Funny enough I've been "done" with one of the contact "guns".

Once is enough thanks.
BB were you at an IS kit fair, south of Lincoln at the end of last year? I too was 'tazed' by a demo kit.

I can honestly say that I have never felt anything more debilitating and painful in my life. After the demo I had no ill effects except an abiding fear of having it done again.

It is, quite simply, an outstanding non-lethal weapon which should be in the armoury of every law enforcement officer in this country and wherever else service personnel or UK police are forced into situations where they have to use force to affect a situation.

It offers the user an increased choice and broadens the spectrum of 'reasonable force' systems available. It would seem that the recent comments by Amnesty International about the links to heart attacks suffered by targets did not take into account the individual situations and what other wpns and options were avail to the police officer that fired the Taser. It would be interesting to see how many criminals who have had Taser used against them would have died if Taser had not been aval to the US police officers.

A superb bit of kit - I now would never face off anybody armed with a Taser - it is too painful!

A quick thought - if Bliar will not change the law on the rights of the householder to defend his/her property, why do we not issue every law abiding citizen with one and watch the burglary rates decline rapidly? :)