• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Stuff You Don't Need But Really Want

Cut me and I bleed geek, unfortunate but that's just the way I am.

Anyway I thought we needed a thread to highlight 'cool' stuff that people had come across. I'll start with the discovery last night of an app that I downloaded for my phone/nexus 7 that has me seriously considering whether to replace my less than 18 month old TV ....... the Panasonic Viera Remote (Android/iOS)

What this basically does is connect your phone or tablet to any reasonably modern TV, i.e 2011 or 2012 model, via Wifi and your home LAN. Once you're connected (mine was immediate) you can use your device as a remote control for all the usual channel, volume, etc functions. What is more impressive though is that you can also play media, such as videos, music and photos, directly from your device onto the TV. I'd stress though that doing this can lead to some pretty serious domestic disputes so ensure you choose your moment. In my case, AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' replacing the final 50m of the Ellie Simmonds final yesterday didn't go down well!

[video=youtube;d-Zm0ktO5KQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Zm0ktO5KQ[/video]​

So you might ask why do I feel the need to replace my TV given that all this works so well? Well as I *only* own a 2011 model then I don't have the full functionality. If I had a more modern TV (Panasonic GT50, ST50, WT50 series) then I'd be able to throw up a browser from my phone, watch the TV on my phone (handy for the loo?) and even use my phone as a gamepad for games available via Viera Connect!

Do I need any of this? Of course not, but it doesn't half appeal to my inner geek!

Doesn't surprise me that one of the two people who built the website is a gadget geek, to be honest ;)

But really, I have a big list of stuff I want but can't afford/can't justify. The thing is, unlike a new TV or an up to date laptop it is all shit. I'd like an iPad - that's about the most practical thing on the list. The rest is pure tat. Expensive tat.

Thing like a £2,500 coffee table that looks like a Nintendo controller
Nintendo Controller Coffee Table FUNCTIONAL by BohemianWorkbench

Or a keyboard that looks like it's made from bamboo for £50
Wireless Bamboo Keyboard & Mouse

Or this pointless thing that turns pizza slices into cones - it'd get used once then binned.
Pizza Cone Maker

Doesn't surprise me that one of the two people who built the website is a gadget geek, to be honest ;)

But really, I have a big list of stuff I want but can't afford/can't justify. The thing is, unlike a new TV or an up to date laptop it is all shit. I'd like an iPad - that's about the most practical thing on the list. The rest is pure tat. Expensive tat.

Thing like a £2,500 coffee table that looks like a Nintendo controller
Nintendo Controller Coffee Table FUNCTIONAL by BohemianWorkbench

Or a keyboard that looks like it's made from bamboo for £50
Wireless Bamboo Keyboard & Mouse

Or this pointless thing that turns pizza slices into cones - it'd get used once then binned.
Pizza Cone Maker
I'm digging that website!

There's now lots of stuff I want yet don't need!
71yZKFzI92L._SL1500_.jpg

I could really go a Zombie, £12 is a bit steep though.

I really want one of those orange computer things that are proper, hard to the core, HD gaming machines. You know, the ones that have a price tag of more than my car. The last game I played on the computer was runescape when I was about 12 but that's not the point, I'm sure I'd find a use for it like... looking at ARRSE or buying other pointless shit I don't need on the internet.

The possibilities are endless with one of those things.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I definitely don't need a Nexus 7 but I do want one so ordered last Saturday direct from Google.

It's just as well I don't need it as neither TNT nor Google can tell me where the bloody thing is! Had a fun day talking to a nice lady at TNT (in England) and Google (in the US) and am no further forward.

Bah.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I definitely don't need a Nexus 7 but I do want one so ordered last Saturday direct from Google.

It's just as well I don't need it as neither TNT nor Google can tell me where the bloody thing is! Had a fun day talking to a nice lady at TNT (in England) and Google (in the US) and am no further forward.

Bah.
they're a fantastic spec, but no sd card slot is a dealbreaker for me. but then thats the point - they want to tether you to their cloud service and source everythign from them.

if it's just a cheap tablet you're after, PC world are knocking out the 64gb Blackberry palybook for £130 atm - quite tempting at that price.

Since there's some discussion of tablets.

Is the Ipad a piece of shit? I am quite a casual computer user, so there's no drama about what it's technically capable of doing in the long run. Just want to know if it's the kind of gadget that you don't tire of after about an hour's use.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Is the Ipad a piece of shit? I am quite a casual computer user, so there's no drama about what it's technically capable of doing in the long run. Just want to know if it's the kind of gadget that you don't tire of after about an hour's use.
you know what my response will be. ;)

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have an iPad 1 at the moment (although when I get to my next posting I will be getting an iPad 3 tax free!).

I use it for:

Books (eBooks, Kindle, iBooks, PDF manuals - I keep a load of work manuals on it)
Movies
Electronic photo album (my SLR connects directly to it so I can quickly see my images in a raw state)
OS Maps
Google Maps
GPS Sat Nav
Google
Alarm Clock and world clock
Weather reports home and around the world
My daily newspaper is delivered directly to it
3 x Magazine subscriptions (I get the hard copy as normal, the iCopy is free and often has extra bits)
Games
Facebook
Dictionary & Thesaurus
Calculator
Encyclopaedia
Music
e-mails
Web browser
Dictation of notes
Messaging device (Scrolling LED type messages)
Unit conversions

Quite a bit really - far more than my OH ever expected me to use it.* Which is why she isn't complaining about me getting a new one - especially as she wants this one!

Finally, on a long journey watching movies and reading books/magazines, I can get almost 12 hours out of the battery. Try doing that with a laptop.

That's essentially everything I would need it for, Legs.

But I have friends who are like maguire and have exceptionally fine taste when it comes to hardware and software and they've blatantly told me that buying an ipad would make me a stupid ****. When they try to tell me why, a lot of it goes over my head. I just want to know if the thing is practical, functional and not prone to breaking. If it is, then it's 'gadgety' enough for me.

There's also an app for it that turns into a guitar amplifier. That looks good.

It would be a cold day in hell before I bought anything by Apple but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the iPad for the game changing piece of technology that they undoubtedly are. There is also no doubt that they are very, very good for the casual user. My mum, for instance, is something of an addict to hers so I suspect you'd be very impressed by one.

On the other hand you may wish to cross over to the light side and have a look at something similar using the android operating system. As an example, you can buy a Google nexus 7 for £159 which, in my opinion, is superior in at least some aspects.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Threads