Stuff You Don't Need But Really Want

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bad CO, Sep 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Cut me and I bleed geek, unfortunate but that's just the way I am.

Anyway I thought we needed a thread to highlight 'cool' stuff that people had come across. I'll start with the discovery last night of an app that I downloaded for my phone/nexus 7 that has me seriously considering whether to replace my less than 18 month old TV ....... the Panasonic Viera Remote (Android/iOS)

What this basically does is connect your phone or tablet to any reasonably modern TV, i.e 2011 or 2012 model, via Wifi and your home LAN. Once you're connected (mine was immediate) you can use your device as a remote control for all the usual channel, volume, etc functions. What is more impressive though is that you can also play media, such as videos, music and photos, directly from your device onto the TV. I'd stress though that doing this can lead to some pretty serious domestic disputes so ensure you choose your moment. In my case, AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck' replacing the final 50m of the Ellie Simmonds final yesterday didn't go down well!

So you might ask why do I feel the need to replace my TV given that all this works so well? Well as I *only* own a 2011 model then I don't have the full functionality. If I had a more modern TV (Panasonic GT50, ST50, WT50 series) then I'd be able to throw up a browser from my phone, watch the TV on my phone (handy for the loo?) and even use my phone as a gamepad for games available via Viera Connect!

Do I need any of this? Of course not, but it doesn't half appeal to my inner geek!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sounds a bit retro. My TV has voice control.

e.g. "Turn the volume up a bit, love." or "Record 236 at half eight tomorrow."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Doesn't surprise me that one of the two people who built the website is a gadget geek, to be honest ;)

But really, I have a big list of stuff I want but can't afford/can't justify. The thing is, unlike a new TV or an up to date laptop it is all shit. I'd like an iPad - that's about the most practical thing on the list. The rest is pure tat. Expensive tat.

Thing like a £2,500 coffee table that looks like a Nintendo controller
    Nintendo Controller Coffee Table FUNCTIONAL by BohemianWorkbench

Or a keyboard that looks like it's made from bamboo for £50
    Wireless Bamboo Keyboard & Mouse

Or this pointless thing that turns pizza slices into cones - it'd get used once then binned.
    Pizza Cone Maker
  4. £19.95:

Attached Files:

5. I'm digging that website!

There's now lots of stuff I want yet don't need!
  6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

7. I could really go a Zombie, £12 is a bit steep though.

I really want one of those orange computer things that are proper, hard to the core, HD gaming machines. You know, the ones that have a price tag of more than my car. The last game I played on the computer was runescape when I was about 12 but that's not the point, I'm sure I'd find a use for it like... looking at ARRSE or buying other pointless shit I don't need on the internet.

The possibilities are endless with one of those things.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Keyboards?

For gaming?

Is it 1997?
  9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I definitely don't need a Nexus 7 but I do want one so ordered last Saturday direct from Google.

It's just as well I don't need it as neither TNT nor Google can tell me where the bloody thing is! Had a fun day talking to a nice lady at TNT (in England) and Google (in the US) and am no further forward.

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

they're a fantastic spec, but no sd card slot is a dealbreaker for me. but then thats the point - they want to tether you to their cloud service and source everythign from them.

if it's just a cheap tablet you're after, PC world are knocking out the 64gb Blackberry palybook for £130 atm - quite tempting at that price.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sad i know but it does give you those NASA moments or maybe a James Bond Baddie vibe..

SCAN Swordfish Look at the price :sad:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Take your balls of with a keyboard mouse combo compared to your thumbsticks.
  13. Not with that keyboard mastery!
  14. Since there's some discussion of tablets.

Is the Ipad a piece of shit? I am quite a casual computer user, so there's no drama about what it's technically capable of doing in the long run. Just want to know if it's the kind of gadget that you don't tire of after about an hour's use.
  15. Its all in the wrist action really with a mouse ;)