Study: 25% of U.S. Homeless are Veterans

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by TankiesYank, Nov 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

File this one under "No Sh!t"....I remember being told about this figure when I was a child. :x

Maybe that was the state figure, though (California housing costs having always astronomical compared to the rest of the country). I'm not surprised that these men can't get on the housing ladder there or Hawaii -- many college graduates with rich mommies and daddies, and no trauma disorders, can barely afford it, so why would they? But I wonder why the cost would be highest in Nevada.

Is it safe to assume that chronic homelessness may go hand-in-hand with PTSD, and require priority housing/treatment?
  2. If 11% of Americans are Veteran--overwhelmingly male--then roughly 22% of American males are Veterans.

If 25% of Homeless--overwhelmingly male--are Veterans then aren't those numbers really not that far off from each other? In other words they roughly reflect the general population rather than an inflated figure for Veterans?

Does that sound right?
  3. US Census Bureau lists 24.5m million veterans alive as of 2005, so the percentage of those having served is closer to 8%. Then factor in the number of WWII/Korean veterans who are still knocking around- what are the chances of men of that generation still being alive when they're homeless? One study in the US lists the average age of death for a homeless man to be 42-52 years of age.

So, you can probably eliminate another 3 million WWII-era veterans from that number and 5 million Korean War Veterans. Naturally there'll be those who served in both wars so let's hazard a rough guess and say that there are still around 6million from WWII/Korea. All of a sudden, we're looking at a pool of around 18-19m and the math(s) is looking a little more startling all of a sudden.

I'm reminded of the vet with PTSD in HBO's documentary "Alive Day" whose biggest, most constant, fear was ending up one of those "crazy homeless guys".
  4. Study by the Homelessness Research Institute? Mmmm Hmmm.

I used to live in Washington, DC. Did a little time way back when as a security guard. Had some amount of contact with the homeless. Yeah, they were alllllll vets. "Who did you serve with?" "Uhhhh, the 542nd division man, special forces recon battalion detachment. Yeah, you never heard of us cuz it was all Top Secret, I should kill you just for talking about it." :roll:

There's a book here in the States called "Stolen Valor". It covers quite nicely all the walts, fakers and wannabes who claim Vietnam service, including alllll those homeless "veterans".
  5. The VA says otherwise:
  6. I'd still like to see the methodology of gathering that info. Were DD214s provided for proof of having served? Easy enough to put one over on a civvy who's gathering census data.

My own admittedly anecdotal data stems from the fact that I was more than willing to hand a vet a few bucks from my wallet, but whenever a panhandler claimed to be a vet--or whenever I ran across one wearing the ubiquitous field jacket, I'd ask him some very basic questions about his military service. And 9 times out of ten, he was FOS.
  7. I saw a documentary called "The Ground Truth" and it pretty much explains this topic. It left me fuming to see soldiers treated so harshly, even if they are Septics. I hope I get treated better than these US marines did when I get back from Afghanistan. It's viewable for free (legit) online, here:
  8. "Even if they are septics"? My how very Christian of you... :roll:
  9. The HRI report is using the same numbers as the VA. I'd like to think that they would have some sort of reliable handle on the situation- but then it is the Federal Government we're talking about.

Of course, we all know that homeless people are phenominal archivists and have excellent memories so verifying the bona fides should be no problem...
  10. My point exactly. And I sincerely doubt some 21 year old kid sent out by the VA on his/her first job out of college is going to challenge some hoary, grungy old fcuker asking him the details of his service--or when he starts spouting off BS that pretty much any vet would recognize, your average intern or recent college grad wouldn't know.
  11. Also well worth considering where the US Army recruits the majority of its soldiers from. Becoming a solder in the US is, for many, hardly the career of choice (this is not limited to the US of course). Indeed, you should look to the percentage of recruits who are college drop-outs for some evidence to back up the assertion that, in fact, one reason why there appears to be a disproportionate number of Vets amongst the homeless is because they were relatively predisposed to become homeless in any case; ie, more of them are poorly educated, poorly supported by family etc and, interestingly, as Veterans, are motivated differently because, rightly in my view, they are more likely to feel that they should be supported by some kind of military covenant that may or may not exist (ie, the state owes them a living).

12. It depends on what you do as a soldier, if you're line infantry and have been since leaving school with little in the way of quals, then you've pretty much naffed it outside of working for the police, security or fire brigade if you want a decent paycheck. One of my schoolmates was a royal marines commando and when he came out, due to being wounded in action he had a hard time finding work, luckily he's getting himself sorted now though.
    I guess im lucky cos im in the TA Royal Engineers and ill get a trade from it but not all are that lucky.
    I think that the world's militaries should do more to re-habilitate soldiers into civilian life, i mean, how much is spent on reprobate scum, for the same purpose, who are back in prison within a week of getting out?
    The backgrounds of many soldiers mean that the military is their first real family, teaching them how to look after themselves and be self-sufficient, but it does not as a whole provide skills that are transferable to the civilian workforce.