Student Union Ban on Tory Fancy Dress and other nonsense

Not allowed to dress as a Tory? What's wrong with wearing a suit and tie FFS?

Romans and ancient Greeks are still allowed - wtf? They were imperialist oppressors, conquering vast numbers of countries and oppressing/enslaving millions of indigenous people!

It's October, traditionally the time of year where you can get out your brown No2 Shirts, navy blue PT shorts and pretend to be in the Hitlerjugend.

Why would anyone want to dress up in a suit and tie?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Okay, this is the sort of stuff that the Tories should be carrying the fight on.

There is a concerted move being made to effectively make being 'Tory' (in the form of an increasingly absurd caricature) an offence. It started with UKIP (that 'Far Right' party) not being allowed to have speakers on campuses without there being a 'free and fair' opposing view being given. Now, it's about anyone to the right of Momentum... and pretty much anyone is to the right of Momentum.

At this rate, being a Conservative voter will be banned - 'for fear of causing offence'.

This is totalitarianism. It is not democracy. But a very clever and disturbing game is being played within the education system at the moment.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Okay, this is the sort of stuff that the Tories should be carrying the fight on.

There is a concerted move being made to effectively make being 'Tory' (in the form of an increasingly absurd caricature) an offence. It started with UKIP (that 'Far Right' party) not being allowed to have speakers on campuses without there being a 'free and fair' opposing view being given. Now, it's about anyone to the right of Momentum... and pretty much anyone is to the right of Momentum.

At this rate, being a Conservative voter will be banned - 'for fear of causing offence'.

This is totalitarianism. It is not democracy. But a very clever and disturbing game is being played within the education system at the moment.
It is a long long time since Student Unions have been about democracy. They are given a lot more publicity than they should and most unions have a very low voting turnout yet they "represent" all students in that faculty. Many of the SU officers do it full time, putting their studies on hold (if they ever intended studying in the first place). The vast majority of students just want to get on with their studies but have some fun as well. These SUs seem to think it is their right to dictate to students. From what I gather from relatives recently going through uni is that most students don't care what the SU say and just get in with their lives. That is fine until the SU get all dictatorial and upset student life. There seems to be no regulatory function to reign them in, other than being laughed at by fellow students.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It is a long long time since Student Unions have been about democracy. They are given a lot more publicity than they should and most unions have a very low voting turnout yet they "represent" all students in that faculty. Many of the SU officers do it full time, putting their studies on hold (if they ever intended studying in the first place). The vast majority of students just want to get on with their studies but have some fun as well. These SUs seem to think it is their right to dictate to students. From what I gather from relatives recently going through uni is that most students don't care what the SU say and just get in with their lives. That is fine until the SU get all dictatorial and upset student life. There seems to be no regulatory function to reign them in, other than being laughed at by fellow students.
That's some relief, at least.

Watching any speech by Shakira Martin makes my teeth itch. A'i'toode...

I read about a thing in the wake of Trump's election where folks tell other folks that they are voting for Hitlery Clinton, simply to avoid the argument, however in the privacy of the voting booth..... It's a real thing I believe.
This is going to become more common I think. I suspect that the student's onion doesn't represent the views of all, and the rebellious free- thinkers will support Remembrance Sunday, just to be radical.
Interesting times.

Yes of course - don't blow a gaskit now

I read about a thing in the wake of Trump's election where folks tell other folks that they are voting for Hitlery Clinton, simply to avoid the argument, however in the privacy of the voting booth..... It's a real thing I believe.
This is going to become more common I think. I suspect that the student's onion doesn't represent the views of all, and the rebellious free- thinkers will support Remembrance Sunday, just to be radical.
Interesting times.
Theres many layers to your arguement

As an engineering student in the late 70s and early 80s, we took very little notice of the student union communist LGBTWTF+ running dogs.

The SU was about space invaders machines, cheap beer and somewhere to meet your mates, plus gigs.

The vast majority of the student union officials were doing PPE and the like and had an over-inflated sense of their own importance in the grand scheme of things.

As an engineering student in the late 70s and early 80s, we took very little notice of the student union communist LGBTWTF+ running dogs.

The SU was about space invaders machines, cheap beer and somewhere to meet your mates, plus gigs.

The vast majority of the student union officials were doing PPE and the like and had an over-inflated sense of their own importance in the grand scheme of things.
They were doing personal protective equipment studies??

But I agree in my studies in the 90s the people running for SU were mainly right on idiots - a bunch of us even run against them in the first year as basically vote for us we don't give a ****. Didn't get voted in thank ****, but then talking to others the amount who did vote for anyone was laughably small.

These people think they are important because they have been voted in by a small number of people when the rest of the student body is actually doing what students are there for - drinking, ******* and studying, in that order, (or was that just me)

From the link:

Dressing up as “Tories” and “chavs” are given as examples of costumes to avoid, as these would breach the “class and political stereotypes” section of the guidance.

“Fancy Dress themes should also not be centred around political group stereotypes or the stereotypes of different levels of perceived class in the means to diminish their worth or validity,” the guidance says.

Reverse the outrage bus, it's not about Tories per se, and it's actually pro-Tory because they don't want to cause offense to those groups.

I was wondering how a "Tory" is dressed.
Is it JRM in the 3 piece suit, or PMTM in "faux leopard" high heels.
Usual bollo*ks from an SU to get their name in the paper and noticed by the far left so they can then beome a Union Rep / Prospective Labour Candidate and then never have to work again in their life.