Student Nurses in the Army and RAF

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Cup_of_Tea, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I'm looking at the student nurse entry on both the Army and RAF career websites.
    Whats the difference between the final qualification? I presume there is one, even though both train for 3 years and come out as registered nurses.

I ask because for the RAF you need a bucket of UCAS points and the army, you need GCSE's.

Anyone shed any light on the subject?

2. Hi,

The RAF only accept degree level applicants hence the requirement for UCAS points (same goes for the RN). Whereas the Army will shove you on eithter the degree (if your lucky) or the diploma course, for the diploma just having GCSE's is acceptable, but if the rumours are to be believed then the diploma course is being ousted pretty soon so you may find that you will be required to have UCAS points for the Army entry route too by the time you have decided which way you want to go.

If you do end up on the diploma though you will be required to top up to degree level eventually once you have qualified anyway. But at the end of the day, degree or diploma route, you will still have achieved the same end target of being a registered nurse, which qualification you come out with doesn't really matter too much cause you will be expected to top up pretty quickly anyway.

Hope this helps, Barm.
  3. To slightly change the subject is there a significant difference in the way medical ranks and responsibilities work across the three services?. I recently spent some time in the Trauma ward at QA Hospital, Portsmouth. The staff there had recently moved from the former RN Hospital Haslar. Whilst there I received treatment from civilian nurses and those of all three services. All the RN staff I saw were Killicks, and the RAF staff corporals, whereas the Army had a mixture of corporals, lance corporals and one private.
  4. My guess would be that the army Privates and Lance Corporals would be either student nurses or Health Care Assistants (a trade group neither the RN or RAF have). Most of the LHs/Cpls would be trained nurses, although some might have been two stripe HCAs. Presumably there were no RN/RAF student nurses around when you were there
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Actually, it may have more to do with the Govt's desire that all nurses should be graduates - it's being fought tooth and nail by the RCN amongst others...
  6. I don't have a degree, nor am i required to top up at any point. I am a Registered Nurse (RN), that's all that's needed.
  7. So if you're a registered nurse, did you join up and just get the diploma? Then get registered?

8. Nope, old school pre P2k. not even a diploma formally. I have done study days since qualifying, but still nothing formal like degree or diploma. I was CMT1 before I qualified as a RN though.

I was under the impression that the degree was 4 years, but registration came at 3 year point?
  9. Nope, I'm an Army student nurse at the moment doing the degree course, its three years the same as the diploma, we just do some extra modules as we go.
  10. At St. Martins, where I trained the degree was 4 years until 1999 or so, then they shoehorned the extra year into three, making for a rather intense course (certainly was when I did it) with no study days and very short holidays.

I never saw the degree as better then the diploma, just slightly different and more suitable for those into research, though anyone wanting to move up into management in the future will almost certainly need a degree.
  11. Realistically, if you have any aspirations for a career in nursing (Mil or Civ) you will need a degree at some point.

Always used to be that to look at commisioning you needed either a diploma level second qualification or preferably a degree.

In the NHS, most job descriptions for Band 7 look for a degree and Band 8 should be working towards a Masters.

I'm an old school RGN whos nursing training holds no formal acedemic standing so I've had to do it the long way. RGN then ENB Qual @ Dip level then topped up with level 3 modules. My advice would be to get your degree during training if that route is open to you.
  12. I heard that the Army will only be offering the degree route from April 2011, so the entry requirements will be about the same as for the RN and RAF probably. I have only heard that from the Army webby though, so probably best asking someone at the careers office- if you have the A levels though go for the degree I would. I am only just starting the application process, I was thinking about training on the outside and then applying, but I really want to join as a Student Nurse. Slightly off topic, I don't suppose anyone has any idea on waiting times or anything? I know it is a highly sought after trade, and of course if I was lucky enough to be selected I wouldnt mind waiting, but since my UCAS points are lacking a tad, I would love to miss the changing to degree only date! Is 14 months not enough time to go through the application process?

Good luck in deciding what you want to do :)