student nurse, CMT or a-levels??

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by leangreenmachine, Aug 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, I'll try posting this here as I didn't get any responses on my first try!

I'm well on my way with my application, got pre-selection in two weeks, but would like some outside suggestions on a few decisions I'm trying to make.

Firstly, my goal in the end is to become a doctor, but as I don't have a-levels (went to school in South Africa and they won't accept my grade 12 cert. as good enough) I'm going to have to work my way up from the bottom. The current plan is to join as a student nurse or CMT.

Does anyone know if it's possible to go to med school once you're already in the army?

I'm also thinking I might take an extra year, do some fast track a-levels, then apply next year as it will open up more opportunities.

Any and all suggestions welcome
  2. You won't get student nurse without A levels as they are now putting people through the degree programme.

3. youve posted the same question in two threads in the same forum, didnt like the answers in the first? Looks like youre going CMT, as I said in the last thread I know 2 ex-lab techs who left the army then went down the doctor route, but they both were out and applied to the RAMC to go doctor, and I still dont know any one who was in as an other rank and applied, got commissioned and did their doctor training.
  4. Hmm, haven't been told anything about changing from diploma to degree for student nurse, any idea when that's supposed to be happening?
    Sorry Filbert, no-one had replied to my first post when I re-posted it and I don't know how they ended up in the same forum as I posted the first one in 'professionally qualified, etc' and the second one in 'joining up', how will you ever forgive me.
    Did the ex lab techs have any qualifications?
  5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You can apply to go to med school, but only if you are a current officer I think.

To the thread starter: why do you think that starting as a CMT or Nurse would be a good way to become a doctor? The medical profession isn't one giant heierarchy in which hospital porters are at the bottom and doctors are at the top with nurses, radiographers, etc. somewhere in the middle. They all do different jobs and a great doctor could make a shite nurse and vice versa. If you desperately want to be a doc then stay in SA and do your A-Levels. If you would be happy doing another hospital job and can't wait that long then do something else.
  6. Thanks, yes I'm aware of the way different medical jobs work, but I'm trying to decide whether to A: do a-levels then apply to med school and try to get a cadetship, B: get some other qualification first (i.e. nursing) as you can generally do a post grad medical degree which doesn't take as long, or C: 'get my foot in the door' so to speak and see what training is available whilst in the Army.
    I'm not in SA, they don't offer a-levels as part of the school curriculum which why I don't have them in the first place.
  7. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You can do A-Levels outside of school. It isn't especially difficult to teach yourself the sciences at A-Level. Alterntaely you could get private tuition, which I'm sure will be avaliable even in South Africa.
  8. hmm, can i just direct you to what sluicey has said earlier in the thread..... you now need a-levels to enter nurse training, so you cant 'get some other qualification first' .....! you have to do a-levels. nurse training is changing to all degree in the very imminent future, that is an nmc/government directive so the army has to follow suit.

bottom line is, you have to do a-levels before doing either nurse trg or med school. if you want to be a doctor, do your a-levels and apply to med school..! dont piss about with nurse training and taking a place off someone who wants to be a nurse..!