• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Student fees may double by 2009

It'll just go the American way of having to pay for everything when as uni.

Its kind of a kick on the dick to Tony's plan of getting 50% of school leavers in HE though. Coming out with anything up to £45,000 of debt and no really improment of job prospects.

It'll just go the American way of having to pay for everything when as uni.

Its kind of a kick on the d**k to Tony's plan of getting 50% of school leavers in HE though. Coming out with anything up to £45,000 of debt and no really improment of job prospects.

The thing is with Tony's 50 per cent dream... an awful lot of people drop out or fail their degree.

As I have seen at my uni. There are a lot of people well out of their depth in HE, but I'm sure that as they are providing funding, the universities will just keep acepting them,.

Why shouldn't students pay for their education? Seems fair to me - everyone gets a secondary education - you want additional higher education to get on in the world then pay for it. Where is the bit that says all higher education should be funded by me the taxpayer?

if it's in a science/med based subject or the likes of maths/english/egineering etc then why not but media studies and courses on David Beckham/law and the like should be fcuked off. Foreign students have to pay so why not some little fester doing a crap degree of no such worth.

Oh and perhaps put a time bar in for those getting free degree's to stop them jumping ship abroad as soon as they qualify just to put a bit of money back into the system that's given them a free education

Because then, only the rich will be able to 'get on in the world'.

Remember, international students are paying about GBP8000-10000/year in fees. How many UK students can afford that?

Scabster_Mooch said:

Remember, international students are paying about GBP8000-10000/year in fees. How many UK students can afford that?
Bo11ocks. I have a degree, came from a working class background and paid for it myself. Its called motivation and a desire to succeed.

amazing__lobster said:
The thing is with Tony's 50 per cent dream... an awful lot of people drop out or fail their degree.

As I have seen at my uni. There are a lot of people well out of their depth in HE, but I'm sure that as they are providing funding, the universities will just keep acepting them,.
Home Economics?

Ord_Sgt said:
Scabster_Mooch said:

Bo11ocks. I have a degree, came from a working class background and paid for it myself. Its called motivation and a desire to succeed.
You paid for the degree without help from the state?

Surely, you need more than motivation and a desire to succeed to come up with 8-10k/year plus living expenses.

It's pretty easy - you get a job then study with the Open University. I did it in my mid twenties before leaving the Army.

If you can't afford it at 18-21 make a living then do it. Common sense really.

Or of course you could borrow the money - kind of makes sure you succeed otherwise you have a big debt for nothing. If I want a training course I have to find the money to pay for it, the government won't give it to me - why should a Uni degree be any different.

If you paid 'UK fees' to the OU, then you have been subsidized by the taxpayer.

So why advocate depriving other people of cheap education?

If you are in fact not entitled to subsidized fees and you have managed to come up with the astronomical sums required to fund a degree then fair play to you.

The larger pasrt of uni fees is still paid for by the state, and you still leave with large debts. Not forgetting the 1% graduate tax that we get charged. If this was the way it was ten years ago I would never have been able to go to uni. I had a full grant (£1,500) and loan (£1,500), worked and still got in to debt. It would be unthinkable know.

Yes we all pay for HE even if you don't go. I don't get pished and fight every Friday and wind up in A&E, but I have to pay for the dumb feckers who do.

HE helps the whole country, and proveds UK plc with some of its biggest success stories. Its just a small investment in the long term.

Ord_Sgt said:
It's pretty easy - you get a job then study with the Open University. I did it in my mid twenties before leaving the Army.

If you can't afford it at 18-21 make a living then do it. Common sense really.
Oh yeah let the poor ones go to Open University and get some crap piece of paper that will do hardly anything for them in the real world. Whilst at the same time richer students can afford to go to the better universities and will therefore walk into better jobs. It will be an even worse two tiered higher education than we already have.

Whilst it would be great to have a free education system as it would do a lot for society as a whole many understand that there are not the funds. There are much better ways of funding higher education than do not lead to such a discriminatory system.

And, Brett, why don't you try and read up on a subkject you obviously know nothing about before you comment.

GI bill anyone? students look a bit cleaner when they finally get to uni
And the services dont have a manning problem anymore.Oh and as cherie
booth such a cheap skate some d.s. gets a pte blair to beast :mrgreen: .
There is an argument for the state to fund some degrees doctors dentists etc and encourage some subjects sciences engineering etc,but,
3 yrs dossing at uni at the taxpayers exspense studying art history no
sorry .Study something that leads to a high paying job or a subject you love and live with the debt or dont bother.

Ord_Sgt said:
Why shouldn't students pay for their education? Seems fair to me - everyone gets a secondary education - you want additional higher education to get on in the world then pay for it. Where is the bit that says all higher education should be funded by me the taxpayer?
People from humble backgrounds are put off by the enormous amounts students owe by the time they graduate. [Last years numbers] It is getting back to the stage where the only people who enter higher education come from the middle classes

brettarider said:
if it's in a science/med based subject or the likes of maths/english/egineering etc then why not but media studies and courses on David Beckham/law and the like should be fcuked off.
I'm not going to lie, I'm a law student. That hurt.

I don't exactly feel comfortable with using 'tax-payer's' money to fund my fees. I do however feel slightly better when I know that I will pay all of it back and in turn contribute to society as a trained individual.

If the fees were to go up and this in turn caused people to spend some years in a real job first (as suggested by Ord_Sgt), would that not lead to a detrimental effect on what society as a whole can gain from properly trained and educated students (and by that I mean those doing sciences, medicine etc, not finger-painting).

Latest Threads