Student fees may double by 2009

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fcuk, there goes my MSc out the window, then.

2. It'll just go the American way of having to pay for everything when as uni.

Its kind of a kick on the dick to Tony's plan of getting 50% of school leavers in HE though. Coming out with anything up to £45,000 of debt and no really improment of job prospects.

3. It'll just go the American way of having to pay for everything when as uni.

Its kind of a kick on the d**k to Tony's plan of getting 50% of school leavers in HE though. Coming out with anything up to £45,000 of debt and no really improment of job prospects.

4. Bugger, i hate that.

5. The thing is with Tony's 50 per cent dream... an awful lot of people drop out or fail their degree.

As I have seen at my uni. There are a lot of people well out of their depth in HE, but I'm sure that as they are providing funding, the universities will just keep acepting them,.

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Why shouldn't students pay for their education? Seems fair to me - everyone gets a secondary education - you want additional higher education to get on in the world then pay for it. Where is the bit that says all higher education should be funded by me the taxpayer?

7. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

if it's in a science/med based subject or the likes of maths/english/egineering etc then why not but media studies and courses on David Beckham/law and the like should be fcuked off. Foreign students have to pay so why not some little fester doing a crap degree of no such worth.

Oh and perhaps put a time bar in for those getting free degree's to stop them jumping ship abroad as soon as they qualify just to put a bit of money back into the system that's given them a free education

8. Because then, only the rich will be able to 'get on in the world'.

Remember, international students are paying about GBP8000-10000/year in fees. How many UK students can afford that?

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Bo11ocks. I have a degree, came from a working class background and paid for it myself. Its called motivation and a desire to succeed.

10. Home Economics?

11. You paid for the degree without help from the state?

Surely, you need more than motivation and a desire to succeed to come up with 8-10k/year plus living expenses.

12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It's pretty easy - you get a job then study with the Open University. I did it in my mid twenties before leaving the Army.

If you can't afford it at 18-21 make a living then do it. Common sense really.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Or of course you could borrow the money - kind of makes sure you succeed otherwise you have a big debt for nothing. If I want a training course I have to find the money to pay for it, the government won't give it to me - why should a Uni degree be any different.

14. If you paid 'UK fees' to the OU, then you have been subsidized by the taxpayer.

So why advocate depriving other people of cheap education?

If you are in fact not entitled to subsidized fees and you have managed to come up with the astronomical sums required to fund a degree then fair play to you.