Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck after selection

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently passed selection with a B grade and I have my job choices down as;

1. Armoured Engineer
2. RLC Driver
3. Tank Crewman

I was told by the interviewer at the end of selection that I would not get to go to training until Jan'15 due to overbooking of training for my first job choice but I said I was ok with this as it would give me time to improve my fitness some more.

I finally managed to get hold of my candidate support manager to go through my feedback and it all sounded positive but then the csm said that I may not even get in for January because any A grade will get put above me in the pecking order and my medical only lasts 1 year and the csm said that my medical could even expire before I get into the Royal Engineers so she suggested my 3rd job choice and said I could get in August.

While I was in selection I was told by a recruitment sergeant that they try and push people through as fast as possible to get good figures on paper so my question is is the csm telling me the truth or are they just trying to throw me in quicker?

I don't mind my 3rd job choice but if I can hold out I would much rather job choice 1 or 2. I am so close and feel im going backwards now. I don't want to wait too long because I am 27 so I am getting a bit long in the tooth but I really want to do this before I get too old and regret not doing it.

Any help will be appreciated and sorry for the war and peace story but I feel stuck at the moment and don't know if I should wait or go for Job choice 3.

Thanks

Last edited:

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently passed selection with a B grade and I have my job choices down as;

1. Armoured Engineer
2. RLC Driver
3. Tank Crewman

I was told by the interviewer at the end of selection that I would not get to go to training until Jan'15 due to overbooking of training for my first job choice but I said I was ok with this as it would give me time to improve my fitness some more.

I finally managed to get hold of my candidate support manager to go through my feedback and it all sounded positive but then the csm said that I may not even get in for January because any A grade will get put above me in the pecking order and my medical only lasts 1 year and the csm said that my medical could even expire before I get into the Royal Engineers so she suggested my 3rd job choice and said I could get in August.

While I was in selection I was told by a recruitment sergeant that they try and push people through as fast as possible to get good figures on paper so my question is is the csm telling me the truth or are they just trying to throw me in quicker?

I don't mind my 3rd job choice but if I can hold out I would much rather job choice 1 or 2. I am so close and feel im going backwards now. I don't want to wait too long because I am 27 so I am getting a bit long in the tooth but I really want to do this before I get too old and regret not doing it.

Any help will be appreciated and sorry for the war and peace story but I feel stuck at the moment and don't know if I should wait or go for Job choice 3.

Thanks

You are being told the truth, anyone that scores higher than you will go above you if you are not loaded to training. That said the ACCs have been told that there are enough people in the hopper (passed selection) to fill Armoured Engineer and Driver up until the end of the training year (end of Mar 15) so no-one else will be allowed to go forward for these jobs. Wrong in my opinion as it means that it may not be the best people getting the trade but what do I know.

If you remain with your current first choice you will not be looked at for the others. In other words you won't get loaded to tank crewman if you keep armoured engineer first.

Thank you for the response.

I have a few days to think it over but I think I will just go for RAC and hope forth best!

I have been reading round the forum and it's a mixed review on tank crewman but I suppose you can't please everyone. I just want to do something exciting, I am bored of doing civvy desk jobs

Latest Threads