Stuart Scheller - Not Going Quietly?

As for Col Scheller, he's made it very clear that he knew that speaking out would end his career and stop his pension. "Unwell" might cover his frustration at having done multiple tours and seen his comrades die and lose their jobs over far, far smaller f*ck-ups than the withdrawal from Afghan and the behaviour of Milley & his ilk.
I think Scheller is acting impulsively and reacting to events as they occur. I think he's driven by emotional pain and doesn't have any coherent strategy or plan. When you take on the USMC, never mind the Washington defense establishment, you should acknowledge a strong possibility of failure. You need a Plan B for the rest of your life, and probably Plans C and D. I doubt if Scheller has a credible Plan B. It strikes me that his behaviour is self-destructive. I suspect that he is also being 'encouraged' by various third parties and has been lurching mentally between different courses of action.

From his body language and statements, it seems like Scheller is suffering from an anxiety disorder, possibly PTSD. He's clearly under enormous strain and his natural courage and bravery may be a double edged sword at this point - in the sense that it propels him into further ill considered actions.

I think he's unwell and needs a long rest, combined with professional help.

DSJ

LE
I think Scheller is acting impulsively and reacting to events as they occur. I think he's driven by emotional pain and doesn't have any coherent strategy or plan. When you take on the USMC, never mind the Washington defense establishment, you should acknowledge a strong possibility of failure. You need a Plan B for the rest of your life, and probably Plans C and D. I doubt if Scheller has a credible Plan B. It strikes me that his behaviour is self-destructive. I suspect that he is also being 'encouraged' by various third parties and has been lurching mentally between different courses of action.

From his body language and statements, it seems like Scheller is suffering from an anxiety disorder, possibly PTSD. He's clearly under enormous strain and his natural courage and bravery may be a double edged sword at this point - in the sense that it propels him into further ill considered actions.

Fair points. It also may well be that any attempts to address concerns internally or to acknowledge failings from within fell on deaf ears and that he feels this is his last recourse. My read on is that that the "failure" part was acknowledged in terms of the immediate impact his statement would have on his career and his pension. I'll leave the diagnosis of mental health problems to the professionals but sincerely hope that they are not being used as some form of cover to gag him/restrict his movements.

If the outcome is that a good man that has been overcome by events is forced to leave on the grounds of asking for accountability from generals in the same way that it is demanded for lesser failings by lesser mortals and the likes of Milley stay in post, then I'd suggest that there is some form of moral victory there already.

Either way I wish him well and will be interested to see if he gets support from elsewhere within the USMC/wide US military.

Not sure if there are any 'Murican brethen n this thread who have posted, I'll have to look again.

Last edited:
Mentally ill or not, just 17 years to Lt Col (presumably less as he has been a Lt Col for a while) is very good going. He must have been one of the rising stars identified to go further. It says a lot for his moral courage that he has stood up and spoken his mind about the situation as he sees it.

Unlike certain UK VSOs who wait until the very heavy pension cheque slams on the doormat!
Not really - he’s on a standard timeline, but not a rising star, given he was sent to a “Training Command” vice one of their many Battalions.

Morning All,
Screenshot as I still don't know how to link:frustrated:
Screenshot_20210929-144451_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Not really - he’s on a standard timeline, but not a rising star, given he was sent to a “Training Command” vice one of their many Battalions.
That’s kinda how it works in the USMC, he was 2IC of an SF support battalion and to move up he would be sent to the next vacancy which happened to be a training battalion. The USMC generally send higher functioning officers and nco’s to training positions, it is just another rung on the ladder, chances are if he hadn’t of spoke up his next appointment would be with an expeditionary battalion.

I‘d like to think this is kick in the ass to remind him he’s still in the USMC and expected to follow orders. Hopefully a few days in clink, then released with a “don’t do that shit again or you’re right back in here” parting comment, pending discharge with a fine for disobeying the order. The USMC just need to get rid of him at this point. Keeping him in pre-trial detention doesn’t seem like it’s in the Marine Corps’ best interest. They don’t need another Pte Manning.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Training commands used to be sought out postings as many officers made their reputations as trainers.

Oyibo

LE
Reminds me somewhat of Col. D Hackworth. Although Hackworth had significantly more combat experience.

'About Face' is well worth a read.

I don't think things will end well for Scheller - rightly or wrongly, the system will beat him.

Training commands are considered needed punches on the ticket to higher command

Reminds me somewhat of Col. D Hackworth. Although Hackworth had significantly more combat experience.

'About Face' is well worth a read.

I don't think things will end well for Scheller - rightly or wrongly, the system will beat him.
Hack also wasnt shy about selling himself as the greatest ever seen

Training commands are considered needed punches on the ticket to higher command

Really? What’s your source for this: I can’t find an MEU Commander who has had a training Command.

Really? What’s your source for this: I can’t find an MEU Commander who has had a training Command.
MEU? aiming low

Example. Mattis, Commanded a recruiting station and was Annapolis prep schools bn officer

Conway, commanded MCRD Sea School was staff of the Basic School, later commanded it

Berger, Instructor at III MEF special ops training group, Instructor at MAWTS-1

Hagee, asst CO telecommunications school, Instructor USNA, Director Humanities and Social Science Division/Marine Corps Representative, USNA

Amos, 3 years advanced flight instructor, Staff instructor the basic school

Dunford, OCS instructor, College of Holy Cross Marine instructor

Krulak commanded Special Training Branch at MCRD San Diego, commanded Counter Guerrilla warfare school on Oki, Annapolis staff

None of which were in their O5 Commands.

Mattis had 1/7th as a buck O5.

Conway (no idea who this is)

Berger 3/8th.

Hagee 1/8th.

Amos VMFA 312

Dunford 2/6th

Krulak 3/3rd.

Trust me, an “E2” Command like that isn’t on the golden path for the US.

A bit of an update. Scheller has been released from pre-trial confinement for his court-martial which the USMC is attempting to hold behind closed doors. The closed door proceedings are hitting a slight snag though as so far 30 members of congress wish to attend and media outlets are trying to get access as well as it is in the national interest to report in their view. On the financial front, the Pipe Hitters Union has raised over 2 million dollars to assist Scheller in his fight so he isn’t exactly destitute.

A bit of an update. Scheller has been released from pre-trial confinement for his court-martial which the USMC is attempting to hold behind closed doors. The closed door proceedings are hitting a slight snag though as so far 30 members of congress wish to attend and media outlets are trying to get access as well as it is in the national interest to report in their view. On the financial front, the Pipe Hitters Union has raised over 2 million dollars to assist Scheller in his fight so he isn’t exactly destitute.
Pre trial confinement, court martial, court martial in camera... They really don't miss an opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot.

If Scheller had received a few kind words and some gardening leave, the USMC could have saved itself a hell of a mess.

or maybe he is not mentally ill and is truly disgusted at the Biden regimes woeful afghan decisions and in particular the senior generals who went willingly along with the senile child sniffer rather than threatening to resign over his abject stupidity in evacuating the mil before the civvies and losing Bagram - its not scheller that is crazy or mentally ill!

or maybe he is not mentally ill and is truly disgusted at the Biden regimes woeful afghan decisions and in particular the senior generals who went willingly along with the senile child sniffer rather than threatening to resign over his abject stupidity in evacuating the mil before the civvies and losing Bagram - its not scheller that is crazy or mentally ill!
I'm sure he's disgusted by all those things, and probably several more issues pertaining to his service in Afghanistan, his own chain of command, and the Washington defense establishment. Any honest man would be.

That doesn't mean that he's not also unwell. He strikes me as stressed out to the point where he needs professional help. He's been acting impulsively and is basically taking on the entire system on little more than a wing and a prayer.

Scheller may have inadvertently unleashed a real well of anger. This quote is (I think) invented, but is very apt.

"If it should be otherwise, if we should have to leave our bleached bones on these desert sands in vain, then beware the anger of the Legions!"

Washington needs to beware the anger of its Legions. They paid in blood for the last 20 years and feel used and betrayed on many levels.

Latest Threads