Stuart Scheller - Not Going Quietly?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
That maybe the case. But just because a man could be unwell, I don't think that necessarily makes what he says unimportant.
Absolutely.

But he needs to up his game. If that means seeing a medic and hitting the meds, so be it. It seems to me that he is currently taking a knife to a gunfight.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Yes. I wonder if he will get any support from his brethren?
Serving colleagues? Doubtful they'll put their collective heads above the parapet. I think he is on his own, a lonely uphill struggle, against some immensely powerful people, that may see him in the press for a bit and then the story will sink.

He needs a different kind of help.

Just an opinion.

The USMC arrested him for disobeying orders.

It sounds like the whole situation has been badly managed from day one. If they'd sent him on gardening leave and implied that he was mentally shaky, the media might have lost interest. Scheller might also have lost interest.

Now it's a gutter fight.

4(T)

LE
The USMC arrested him for disobeying orders.

Thats sad, and gross mismanagement of the situation.

Even the USMC must understand what the modern media world is like, and how even a minor issue can snowball into a global media storm.

WTF didn't they just offer him an immediate honourable discharge plus a bit of a pension/payoff? At least then he'd be a civvy on the outside and it wouldn't matter what he said or did.

Hope this doesn't destroy him. Mind you, we currently have Gen. Milley being outed for secret unauthorised calls to China behind Trump's back, plus alleged evidence that Milley and McKenzie did warn Biden to keep the troops in Afghan. Maybe this will all blow up to Scheller's benefit.

Even the USMC must understand what the modern media world is like, and how even a minor issue can snowball into a global media storm.

WTF didn't they just offer him an immediate honourable discharge plus a bit of a pension/payoff? At least then he'd be a civvy on the outside and it wouldn't matter what he said or did.

Hope this doesn't destroy him. Mind you, we currently have Gen. Milley being outed for secret unauthorised calls to China behind Trump's back, plus alleged evidence that Milley and McKenzie did warn Biden to keep the troops in Afghan. Maybe this will all blow up to Scheller's benefit.
Turns out Milley’s calls were coordinated with the defense secretaries and the intelligence agencies, and Trump’s Chief of Staff was also in the loop.

Milley defends calls to Chinese at end of Trump presidency

DSJ

LE

Hopefully.

It sounds like the whole situation has been badly managed from day one. If they'd sent him on gardening leave and implied that he was mentally shaky, the media might have lost interest. Scheller might also have lost interest.

Now it's a gutter fight.
The same thing happened back in the early seventies with Hackworth and what's different these days, is the media are on the inside as well and so going up against the deep state is never going to end well.

There was a slightly similar situation in the UK in 1917. The poet Siegfried Sassoon (a decorated infantry officer) issued an open declaration refusing to fight. "I am making this statement as an act of willful defiance of military authority" He was disillusioned and enraged by the handling of the war and the government's dubious war aims.

Instead of court martialing Sassoon, the War Office sent him to a military hospital where he had a long rest, talked to a psychiatrist and played golf. He basically calmed down, reconsidered his perspective and eventually soldiered on.

If similar wisdom had been applied to Scheller, Washington could have defused the situation long before it became a serious mess.

DSJ

LE
There was a slightly similar situation in the UK in 1917. The poet Siegfried Sassoon (a decorated infantry officer) issued an open declaration refusing to fight. "I am making this statement as an act of willful defiance of military authority" He was disillusioned and enraged by the handling of the war and the government's dubious war aims.

Instead of court martialing Sassoon, the War Office sent him to a military hospital where he had a long rest, talked to a psychiatrist and played golf. He basically calmed down, reconsidered his perspective and eventually soldiered on.

If similar wisdom had been applied to Scheller, Washington could have defused the situation long before it became a serious mess.

This is assuming, of course, that Col Scheller is mentally ill. Which we don't know.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mentally ill or not, just 17 years to Lt Col (presumably less as he has been a Lt Col for a while) is very good going. He must have been one of the rising stars identified to go further. It says a lot for his moral courage that he has stood up and spoken his mind about the situation as he sees it.

Unlike certain UK VSOs who wait until the very heavy pension cheque slams on the doormat!

This is assuming, of course, that Col Scheller is mentally ill. Which we don't know.
With the caveat that I'm not qualified to make a professional diagnosis, and have never met the man, I think he is 'unwell' and needs a rest. I don't think he's acting entirely rationally, and certainly not in his best interests.

That's not to invalidate anything that he has said, or to dismiss his criticisms of the military establishment.

The point is that the USMC/Department of Defense could have handled the situation entirely differently.

DSJ

LE
With the caveat that I'm not qualified to make a professional diagnosis, and have never met the man, I think he is 'unwell' and needs a rest. I don't think he's acting entirely rationally, and certainly not in his best interests.

That's not to invalidate anything that he has said, or to dismiss his criticisms of the military establishment.

The point is that the USMC/Department of Defense could have handled the situation entirely differently.

On your last point, agreed totally. The DoD now have a PR nightmare that is entirely of their own creation to try to stuff back in the box.

As for Col Scheller, he's made it very clear that he knew that speaking out would end his career and stop his pension. "Unwell" might cover his frustration at having done multiple tours and seen his comrades die and lose their jobs over far, far smaller f*ck-ups than the withdrawal from Afghan and the behaviour of Milley & his ilk.

If due process has not been followed and if the "mental health" smokescreen has been deployed in order to try to mask his jailing, then it's not entirely unreasonable to anticipate lawsuits in the future.

It is a PR nightmare. Milley is essentially allowed to get away with actions amounting to treason ,and he seriously broke the faith. Scheller tells higher that they are fecked up, which the public is coming to very well understand and is now in the Brig. The US military is in the midst of pretty serious divide that is not aired to the public.

Latest Threads