Stuart Scheller - Not Going Quietly?

USMC lieutenant colonel Stuart Scheller is threatening to submit formal charges against General Kenneth McKenzie over the Afghanistan debacle. Scheller was relieved of command following a viral Facebook video appealing for accountability from military leaders.

It appears that the USMC was trying to ease Scheller out quietly. If so, the damage limitation exercise has failed. The colonel now seems to be psyching himself up to take on the military establishment, and by extension, the political establishment.

Is he simply a loose cannon who'll be slapped down, or will he tap into a popular well of resentment and get viral public backing?

Colonel Scheller is a decorated combat veteran who was formerly the commander of an Advanced Infantry Training Battalion. This could be interesting.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I envisage a few books, TV documentary, speaking tours which will help prop up his pension!

Well, l guess the letter resigning his commission wasn’t accepted, and oddly enough his official USMC bio is still listening him as Co, but the photo has been deleted.

YS2b4q.jpg

Last edited:
Is he being Court Martialled?
I understand that they were offering him the equivalent of an SNLR with loss of pension (but no disciplinary proceedings) if he went quietly. It looks like he's now thinking in terms of a scorched earth.

To add a bit more context, this isn’t just about the poor ending to the Afghan campaign, he even has issues with how the US reacted to 9/11. I think it is safe to say he is going to lose his war with the USMC and the US government and likely have a failed political career.

To add a bit more context, this isn’t just about the poor ending to the Afghan campaign, he even has issues with how the US reacted to 9/11. I think it is safe to say he is going to lose his war with the USMC and the US government and likely have a failed political career.

He's clearly under a lot of stress, and may have been for some time before his Facebook video. Reading between the lines, he needs a long rest and a change of career.

He also clearly has a lot to say, much of which may be valid, some may be vitally important. Whether he'll undermine his own credibility remains to be seen.

The Washington defense establishment is carnivorous and won't react well to a public challenge from an upstart lieutenant colonel.

He's clearly under a lot of stress, and may have been for some time before his Facebook video. Reading between the lines, he needs a long rest and a change of career.

He also clearly has a lot to say, much of which may be valid, some may be vitally important. Whether he'll undermine his own credibility remains to be seen.

The Washington defense establishment is carnivorous and won't react well to a public challenge from an upstart lieutenant colonel.
I wonder if the NAVEX and PX will be told to stop selling his product, can’t be doing that well if he needs donations for his family....

exspy

LE
According to his most recent video he only has 17 years in, 3 years short of even a reduced pension.

I'm of the opinion, and this only based on having read about similar things in the past, that this has nothing to do with a lack of trust in the chain of command. I don't think the public yet knows what the real reason is for his actions. Might be something as mundane as PTSD.

It's a good job our CoC speak out and take responsibility and blame where due, and don't keep schtum, watch the pension and throw the junior grades under any bus that nears them.

Countryboy

Old-Salt
According to his most recent video he only has 17 years in, 3 years short of even a reduced pension.

I'm of the opinion, and this only based on having read about similar things in the past, that this has nothing to do with a lack of trust in the chain of command. I don't think the public yet knows what the real reason is for his actions. Might be something as mundane as PTSD.
Is he not just thoroughly fed up and essentially disagrees with decisions made, like many other employees no doubt?

Is he not just thoroughly fed up and essentially disagrees with decisions made, like many other employees no doubt?
Quite possibly.

The question is whether he's a maverick malcontent, or if his strongly held opinions are shared by his peer group, or even the armed forces as a whole.

The US military is a lot less cynical* than the British military. I wonder if they are entering a period of angry introspection, post Iraq and Afghanistan with a major backlash to follow.

*Cynical is probably the wrong word. It always struck me that the US armed forces were a little less worldly, more idealistic, and took life a lot more seriously than their UK counterparts. A lot more of them are religious for a start. I also understand that the official commitment to diversity and wokism is causing real anger at grassroots level.

I understand that they were offering him the equivalent of an SNLR with loss of pension (but no disciplinary proceedings) if he went quietly. It looks like he's now thinking in terms of a scorched earth.

How does that work with the American system, do they really lose what they've accrued to date for such actions?

Lucky Tony Blair isn't his boss, going for a walk wouldn't have been a good idea.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
When the story first broke, I framed the idea, that an intelligent, switched on, dynamic high ranking Marine Corps Officer had an important message and he would be the perfect platform to deliver his wrath.

Watching the latest video upthread, I see a broken, apologetic man grumbling about his lot, in the same way as a private soldier moans about the lack of cuddles from his CSM.

Colonel Scheller really needs to up his game, or more reasonably, seek professional medical help, his words, his tone and his body language scream PTSD at me.

I have no medical experience what-so-ever, but my best friend, an ex GG with military combat and high impact 'circuit' experience looks, and speaks, in an identical manner on one of his 'bad' days.

Countryboy

Old-Salt
When the story first broke, I framed the idea, that an intelligent, switched on, dynamic high ranking Marine Corps Officer had an important message and he would be the perfect platform to deliver his wrath.

Watching the latest video upthread, I see a broken, apologetic man grumbling about his lot, in the same way as a private soldier moans about the lack of cuddles from his CSM.

Colonel Scheller really needs to up his game, or more reasonably, seek professional medical help, his words, his tone and his body language scream PTSD at me.

I have no medical experience what-so-ever, but my best friend, an ex GG with military combat and high impact 'circuit' experience looks, and speaks, in an identical manner on one of his 'bad' days.
That maybe the case. But just because a man could be unwell, I don't think that necessarily makes what he says unimportant.

Latest Threads