Strongly supportive Pro-Forces article in the Guardian.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Reads as some very good men fighting through a bad night.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,2238511,00.html>

No big surprises, but it's a solid and supportive piece.

this interactive will be updated next week again, but for the moment, I'm not sure it's that clear that after watching all the video on each page, you simply click the right arrow on the bottom left hand side to take you on to the next page, for more video and updated graphics, thus on through the night of the battle until Botha is recovered.
best MM

mintymcginty said:
Hello,
I thought this might interest you too. For those who don't know me, I am the author of the piece. The Guardian has also produced an interactive project with this, including graphics and video interviews here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/interactive/2007/dec/14/afghanistan
Hope you like it
MM
Thanks Minty,

A very graphic accompaniment to your fine piece about such a harrowing action. Even this ex-matelot understood it. RIP the two brave lads killed and deepest sympathy to their relatives and friends. Best wishes for the futures of the wounded and their families too.

mintymcginty said:
Hello,
I thought this might interest you too. For those who don't know me, I am the author of the piece. The Guardian has also produced an interactive project with this, including graphics and video interviews here:
Hope you like it
MM
That is a very good graphic. It manages to convey the story of the action very well and in a way that the readership will understand.

Look forward to seeing more of your work..

mintymcginty said:
this interactive will be updated next week again, but for the moment, I'm not sure it's that clear that after watching all the video on each page, you simply click the right arrow on the bottom left hand side to take you on to the next page, for more video and updated graphics, thus on through the night of the battle until Botha is recovered.
best MM
A great write up, Minty.

Also, each of the throbbing [?] circles has different video interviews which can be seen by clicking on them, so there's more than a dozen little clips, many of them very moving.
Do you think it's clear enough? There's no one to make it clearer today but I can make suggestions on Monday.

mintymcginty said:
Hello,
Hope you like it
MM
Very good article. Did you have anything to do with the Army fitness guide that the Guardian was giving away free in it's TV adverts last week?

An excellent article and the graphics are very good too. I hope your readership take the time to go through all the interviews and learn what the British soldier is doing for them out there.

The only suggestion I can give you for improving the graphics is that some of the videos are better viewed in order. If you had numbers on your "throbbing" circles to let you know which order to watch them in it would help.

Well done you for producing an accurate description of a complicated situation, a thing few journalists seem to be trying to do.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Coincidentally I bought the paper and read the article just before heading off to do a job at the RBL in Hounslow where the WFRs are based. A sterling piece from Gillan.

That is an excellent example of using modern technology to reach a diverse audience. Really shows off the advantages of the web over print media

Fantastic

An excellent article article and one which makes me rather proud of my former regiment. The youngsters are made of the same stern stuff and it shows the true spirit of a good steady county regiment.

mintymcginty said:
Hello,
Hope you like it
MM
The link just does not work for me. I can see the header but nothing to watch. Gutted considering the positive comments.

I read the article and couldn't finish it without tears streaming down my face... my father, a veteran of the Angola war sat down with me and he to had glassy eyes.

Having just returned to South Africa after a number of years and a few op tours, I cannot imagine what young Botha's family are going through. I also think of the family of Arty Commando South African Cpl Dwyer who was also killed out in Afghan...

Alot of the time we young lads come over to the UK to serve proudly for the United Kingdom and first and foremost Her Majesty the Queen. Very often our families never understand why we do it and I imagine it's even more difficult for them to understand when their we don't come home.

But we're damn proud of the decisions and sacrifices we make for the priviledge to serve in the British Army and we'd have it no other way.
Those boys have done us proud, Britain proud and whilst South Africa looks on, to us who have done the same, we're proud and will never forget the sacrifice they have made.

To those that are continue to fill them boots, keep going and thank-you.

When I go home people'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?" You know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Latest Threads