Strongly supportive Pro-Forces article in the Guardian.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jrwlynch, Jan 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Reads as some very good men fighting through a bad night.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,2238511,00.html>

No big surprises, but it's a solid and supportive piece.

2. Link Fixed Here

3. this interactive will be updated next week again, but for the moment, I'm not sure it's that clear that after watching all the video on each page, you simply click the right arrow on the bottom left hand side to take you on to the next page, for more video and updated graphics, thus on through the night of the battle until Botha is recovered.
    best MM

4. Thanks Minty,

A very graphic accompaniment to your fine piece about such a harrowing action. Even this ex-matelot understood it. RIP the two brave lads killed and deepest sympathy to their relatives and friends. Best wishes for the futures of the wounded and their families too.

5. That is a very good graphic. It manages to convey the story of the action very well and in a way that the readership will understand.

Look forward to seeing more of your work..

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

A great write up, Minty.

7. Also, each of the throbbing [?] circles has different video interviews which can be seen by clicking on them, so there's more than a dozen little clips, many of them very moving.
    Do you think it's clear enough? There's no one to make it clearer today but I can make suggestions on Monday.

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

For me the video is very dark. Quite how you would lighten the graphics I don't know but a very good piece non the less.

9. Very good article. Did you have anything to do with the Army fitness guide that the Guardian was giving away free in it's TV adverts last week?

10. An excellent article and the graphics are very good too. I hope your readership take the time to go through all the interviews and learn what the British soldier is doing for them out there.

The only suggestion I can give you for improving the graphics is that some of the videos are better viewed in order. If you had numbers on your "throbbing" circles to let you know which order to watch them in it would help.

Well done you for producing an accurate description of a complicated situation, a thing few journalists seem to be trying to do.

11. Thank you minty.

12. Excellent article and the best on-line piece I've seen. Well done minty.

13. It's a very good article, touching... My sincere condolences to relatives and friends of the fallen soldiers. Fast recover for the wounded.

14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Coincidentally I bought the paper and read the article just before heading off to do a job at the RBL in Hounslow where the WFRs are based. A sterling piece from Gillan.