Strongarm tactics to punish Naomi Osaka.

My previous post about starting a fight in an empty room pertains; again.

Of course, lets just ignore that the press are cnuts then.

So, tennis star signs up for tournament.

Months later, tournament comes round, she doesn't feel upto doing an interview post match and says so, presumably through her manager to the organisers.

The organisers say, "the contract says you will do interviews so there is a contractual fine of x", the fine is paid, organisors say "and you must do future press or we will activate the sacking clause."

Tennis star thinks about it and says, "not in the right place to do that this tournament, I withdraw"

Shitstorm happens, star eventually goes public via social media (actually not a bad tool for those with MH issues as they can run it off and turn off responses to avoid deeply negative people) to explain why she made the decision, despite it potentially costing her a lot of money to do so....

To be fair I am in the sports star court on this one. She made a decision based on how she was at the time, then made a follow on and potentially cost a lot of money for herself because she put her mental health before her earnings. Good on her.

It is like someone calling in sick at work, and then quitting or retiring early due to ill health. Seems reasonable to me.

D

Deleted 4482

So instead of saying the press are cnuts and they will take action, they tried to shame the girl and it blew back in their face?
No that's not what I said at all. Thats your attempt at a strawman and its just a bit too obvious.
I was just pointing out they only deleted the tweets after the MH card was deployed - thus guaranteeing ignominy to whoever dare question her intentions / integrity.

No that's not what I said at all. Thats your attempt at a strawman and its just a bit too obvious.
I was just pointing out they only deleted the tweets after the MH card was deployed - thus guaranteeing ignominy to whoever dare question her intentions / integrity.

If she is suffering from MH issues should she just keep quiet and let the organisers take the piss?

Its no wonder people dont seek help when they need it.

sausage .... allowed a double portion

Never happen...

Correct me if Im wrong but- didn't she only mention the MH aspect after her flounce had repercussions she was not betting on?

She alluded to it, in general terms, in the announcement that she wasn't doing interviews: something to the effect that some journos didn't think about the possible implications for people's mental health when they asked unkind questions.

I get a sense from some of the press coverage that there's a body of opinion amongst some tennis correspondents along the lines of 'Ah. Now this all starts to make sense...' She is, according to the ABC Australia correspondent, utterly useless in press conferences, clearly hating the entire experience - in the sense of being deeply, deeply uncomfortable , rather than thinking it beneath her - giving nervous, one word answers. The ABC correspondent's line was something like 'the tennis world is not a poorer place without a Naomi Osaka press conference'

My guess is that she finds the playing (and practising) of Tennis to be a distraction from her mental health problems, and the journos - particularly those with the bone or hostile questions - trigger it.

Let's not forget that there have been mutterings about the arrogance of the French Open organisers recently - changing the date of the tournament without any consideration of the effect it might have on preparations for the grass court part of the season, etc - and I wonder if Osaka thought that asking them for help would've been dismissed with a gallic shrug and orders to get on with it or take the consequences...

Never happen...

Let's not forget that there have been mutterings about the arrogance of the French Open organisers recently - changing the date of the tournament without any consideration of the effect it might have on preparations for the grass court part of the season, etc - and I wonder if Osaka thought that asking them for help would've been dismissed with a gallic shrug and orders to get on with it or take the consequences...

Snipped, it is even possible that that did happen....

If she is suffering from MH issues should she just keep quiet and let the organisers take the piss?

Its no wonder people dont seek help when they need it.

Your sudden empty pretence of interest deep concern for MH issues does you no credit.

Particularly when placed alongside examples of you mercilessly tormenting providing counselling and provoking MH support to another poster on this site into retaliation leading to sanctions.

Your sudden empty pretence of interest deep concern for MH issues does you no credit.

Particularly when placed alongside examples of you mercilessly tormenting providing counselling and provoking MH support to another poster on this site into retaliation leading to sanctions.

I couldnt actually give a **** about her MH problems.

I just like to point out how weak some people on here are in thinking the press can do what they like when its a young woman. They question whether its anything to do with MH.

When its Alex Ferguson or the England squad not talking to the press its not such problem.

I couldnt actually give a **** about her MH problems.

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.gif

The terms of the contract will be something along the lines of talk to the press, not take shit from the press.

Why cant I mention Ferguson? It was alright for one of the most successful football managers to do it. Just not ok if a young woman does it.
Read Ferguson’s book about why he didn’t speak to the BBC.

Entirely different circumstances though. Alex Ferguson was an employee of Manchester United. There was no contract between him and the EPL that required him to give interviews; the contract was between the EPL and Manchester United and required the team to face the media. Ferguson continued to give interviews to others; he just refused to talk to the BBC. Other members of the United leadership still talked to the BBC.

Osaka is personally contracted to the organisers of the French Open. She has to give interviews as a condition of entry. And she didn’t refuse to talk to an individual media outlet; she refused to talk to any media.

Other than that, I largely agree with your point.

If you want lots pf people to watch and pay for what you're doing, you have to spend at least part of your life letting them know that you're doing it and making them care enough to spend time and money in your direction

It's a contest with a winner and a loser.. Everything essential is being said on the court..

I thought Id make it clear for you.

Good effort. Well done you.

Pity about all the other weepy "Leave Britney alone"-type posts sobbing about the beastly press and Osaka's MH making your POV bounce around like a spastic on a space-hopper, but hey - this is Arrse, after all.

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE
stacker1 is now gone from this thread. Please do feel free to carry on discussing the topic without his constant need to argue with everyone over everything.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I think he caught something from close proximity to Bugsy on the Poo-Poo thread.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I know a number of people who have had mental health issues in work. One thing I can say with certainty is that it's not funny and usually not pretty. About four years ago we had to deal with an employee who broke down in the office during an ugly divorce. He reached a point where the stress of the divorce and holding down a job that required extensive travel was just too much.

If it's in the contract, you need to do what you agreed; If the press start getting uppity because of your behaviour elsewhere, speak to the organisers about keeping the press' questions relevant to the tournament.

The organisers should have a minimum duty of care towards the people under contract, particularly in terms of MH.

The next time I get given a huge piece of work to do that is fully within the bounds of my job spec, I'm going to play the Mental card and get it pushed onto someone else's chit.

Then when it comes to grading time and I get put in the bottom third because I've done **** all, I'm going to claim discrimination and take someone else's place in the top third.

When APC try and send me to a backwater post, I'll kick off and get a WTE post.

And the cycle will continue. Why add value, when you can claim an -ism to progress.

Does this apply to professional sports which are the purest form of competition? This Snowflake is trying to make it so.

Perhaps we just get rid of results and give everyone a trophy. Only, those with the weakest wills get better ones.

Latest Threads