Strongarm tactics to punish Naomi Osaka.

I think that you will find the marketting people are more likely to be young thrusters of both sexes (and a couple of other sexes), backed up by young people of both sexes (caveat as above) who have worked out to the dime/centime/cent what they pay and what they expect in return.

The journalists tend to be as I described them and its a safe bet it describes those on here who think the press should have free reign when it comes to people who work hard to be top of their sport.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Have to? Who says they have to? Oh right, fat old sweaty men who would be quite happy for their daughters to get shit from the press when all they want to do is their sport?

You just sound like a bloke who is jealous that people get of their arse, earn a crust through their skill and should accept abuse because they are successful.

If you want lots pf people to watch and pay for what you're doing, you have to spend at least part of your life letting them know that you're doing it and making them care enough to spend time and money in your direction. Refusing to do interviews is one way to play the game but there is always the risk with that approach that everyone agrees that you've got nothing to say.

Shouting 'look at me' to the mob is the essence of entertainment but it's also an uncertain enterprise. There's a serious upside if you get it right and and serious upside if you don't.

Anyone who doesn't like the odds is at liberty to simply embrace obscurity and post on Arrse.

We're all agreed then?

1. Sponsors smother millionaire tennis player in cash and flattery.

2. Millionaire tennis player start believing own publicity and throws a strop.

3. Sponsors look for new tennis player to smother in cash and flattery.

4. @stacker1 wonders why he can't stop punching himself in the face.

5. Rest of thread participants continue to punch @stacker1 in the face with his own fist.

Do you watch this woman and her interviews?

No I havent because I also said

I support her stance on thinking that the press are *******,

&

It would be far better for her to attend the conference and call the press *******.

The truth is, I generally support anyone ******* the snidey press off, even Corbyn when he was being harassed walking down the street.

She stood up for herself, paid the fines and has now quit. She had the courage to stand by her conviction unlike some people on here.

No, I didn't watch this woman or her interviews. I don't like tennis and I'd never heard of her until all this fuss started.

I don't disagree with your views regarding the press. They are, at the best of times, a bunch of winkers. They spend time building people up with the sole intention of ripping them down again. They don't have any real interest in the subjects of their interviews, they are just a means to an end which is to fill the sports pages of their newspapers. There is nothing new in this and I'm sure we can all remember how often the word 'gutter' was inexorably linked to the word 'press'. I do think the media, both press & broadcast, need reigning in.

I did hear on the wireless on my way into work this morning that she is suffering from anxiety and depression. If this is truly genuine then that puts a different slant on things. I know mental health issues can be debilitating but although she has claimed MH issues I remain to be properly convinced that she isn't just using it as an excuse not to do interviews. She doesn't want to do interviews with the press corps but she seems quite happy to post on social media as seen up thread on her t@tter feed.

jmb3296

War Hero
The journalists tend to be as I described them and its a safe bet it describes those on here who think the press should have free reign when it comes to people who work hard to be top of their sport.

i see John Inverdale is the BBC lead for tennis at the Roland Garos.

the same John Inverdale who reported on Marion Bertolis winning Wimbledon with

"I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14: 'Listen, you're never going to be a looker, you are never going to be somebody like a Sharapova, you're never going to be 5ft 11, you're never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that,'" he said.

Tennis and the media really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, the problem is not the young people striving to be the best in their sport and calling out the, largely middle aged entitled journalists having repeated pops at them.

it is the media and tournament organisers themselves

No, I didn't watch this woman or her interviews. I don't like tennis and I'd never heard of her until all this fuss started.

I don't disagree with your views regarding the press. They are, at the best of times, a bunch of winkers. They spend time building people up with the sole intention of ripping them down again. They don't have any real interest in the subjects of their interviews, they are just a means to an end which is to fill the sports pages of their newspapers. There is nothing new in this and I'm sure we can all remember how often the word 'gutter' was inexorably linked to the word 'press'. I do think the media, both press & broadcast, need reigning in.

I did hear on the wireless on my way into work this morning that she is suffering from anxiety and depression. If this is truly genuine then that puts a different slant on things. I know mental health issues can be debilitating but although she has claimed MH issues I remain to be properly convinced that she isn't just using it as an excuse not to do interviews. She doesn't want to do interviews with the press corps but she seems quite happy to post on social media as seen up thread on her t@tter feed.

She doesnt have to take questions from **** wits on twitter and she can use it when she wants. No problem with that.

Its a shame that it takes someone complaining about MH issues to highlight the press being cnuts though.

i see John Inverdale is the BBC lead for tennis at the Roland Garos.

the same John Inverdale who reported on Marion Bertolis winning Wimbledon with

"I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14: 'Listen, you're never going to be a looker, you are never going to be somebody like a Sharapova, you're never going to be 5ft 11, you're never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that,'" he said.

Tennis and the media really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, the problem is not the young people striving to be the best in their sport and calling out the, largely middle aged entitled journalists having repeated pops at them.

it is the media and tournament organisers themselves

Meh, according to some on here, they should just put up with it.

Its a shame that it takes someone complaining about MH issues to highlight the press being cnuts though.

Don't get me wrong, I've always believed they are. That wasn't the point of my argument. My point, as you well know, and as others have also said, is about someone signing a contract and no fulfilling the terms of that contract. Especially if that person has had a hissy fit.

Don't bother mentioning Ferguson again because I don't know what he did or didn't do or why or when he did or didn't do it. And couldn't care less.

Don't get me wrong, I've always believed they are. That wasn't the point of my argument. My point, as you well know, and as others have also said, is about someone signing a contract and no fulfilling the terms of that contract. Especially if that person has had a hissy fit.

Don't bother mentioning Ferguson again because I don't know what he did or didn't do or why or when he did or didn't do it. And couldn't care less.

The terms of the contract will be something along the lines of talk to the press, not take shit from the press.

Why cant I mention Ferguson? It was alright for one of the most successful football managers to do it. Just not ok if a young woman does it.

The terms of the contract will be something along the lines of talk to the press, not take shit from the press.

Why cant I mention Ferguson? It was alright for one of the most successful football managers to do it. Just not ok if a young woman does it.
If the terms of the contract are to talk to the press then talk to the press. If the press start giving out shit then give it back. They'll soon stop when they don't get the soundbites they are looking for.

Like I said, I don't know what Ferguson did or didn't do so it's a totally wasted point on me.

If the terms of the contract are to talk to the press then talk to the press. If the press start giving out shit then give it back. They'll soon stop when they don't get the soundbites they are looking for.

Like I said, I don't know what Ferguson did or didn't do so it's a totally wasted point on me.

I wonder how some people on here managed in the Army if a subordinate said they were getting abuse of someone.
Man up? Give abuse back? They clearly wouldnt try to sort out the problem.

Not everyone in the sportsworld or elsewhere is a quick witted, double hard, tough, fast talker like the armchair experts of ARRSE.

Mental health? Tut. That's soooo last month. Didn't you know it's now Pride Month, so everyone has to support the sausage jockeys and rugmunchers. It's the law.

Presumably loony sausage jockeys and rugmunchers are allowed a double portion of "Look at meeee, look at meeeeeeee" attention seeking.

Remind me how rich this bint is again? It might make me give a flying one about her, but most probably not.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

That's showbusiness baby. The technical name for it is 'Star Power' and only a select few get to wield it. The acid test is whether the star has achieved sufficient status in their field that the media needs the star more than the star needs the media.

In your example, the media needed Man U stories and SAF controlled the supply, therefore they dealt with him on his terms. Until he became a god at Old Trafford, he had to do interviews just like everyone else.

DSJ

LE

Andy Murray was asked in one interview something along the lines of "why do you always look permanently miserable?" His response was "because you guys aren't that funny". Well played sir.

Alamo

LE
Have to? Who says they have to?
The people who organise the tournament. Don’t want to speak to the press, don’t enter. It’s pretty simple really.

and that has nothing to do with supporting the press, and nothing to do with Alex Ferguson either; which is a total red herring introduced by you.

That's showbusiness baby. The technical name for it is 'Star Power' and only a select few get to wield it. The acid test is whether the star has achieved sufficient status in their field that the media needs the star more than the star needs the media.

In your example, the media needed Man U stories and SAF controlled the supply, therefore they dealt with him on his terms. Until he became a god at Old Trafford, he had to do interviews just like everyone else.

Its showbusiness that sport personalities have to take shit of the press?

What sort of utter bollocks is that?

The people who organise the tournament. Don’t want to speak to the press, don’t enter. It’s pretty simple really.

and that has nothing to do with supporting the press, and nothing to do with Alex Ferguson either; which is a total red herring introduced by you.

The people who organise the tournament publicly state that the sports stars should take shit of the press do they?
Funny how they deleted their tweet that shamed her isnt it?

Its all to do with the press, why should anyone have to put up with them acting like cnuts?

Oh right, they have done well in life, so deserve it.

Alamo

LE
The people who organise the tournament publicly state that the sports stars should take shit of the press do they?

Its all to do with the press, why should anyone have to put up with them acting like cnuts?

My previous post about starting a fight in an empty room pertains; again.

D

Deleted 4482

Correct me if Im wrong but- didn't she only mention the MH aspect after her flounce had repercussions she was not betting on?

The tweets were then deleted as everyone who criticised her collectively shat themselves after she played the MH card - which equals a licence to shit in the street as far as media releases go, as demonstrated by Meghan.

Correct me if Im wrong but- didn't she only mention the MH aspect after her flounce had repercussions she was not betting on?

The tweets were then deleted as everyone who criticised her collectively shat themselves after she played the MH card - which equals a licence to shit in the street as far as media releases go, as demonstrated by Meghan.

So instead of saying the press are cnuts and they will take action, they tried to shame the girl and it blew back in their face?