Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Strongarm tactics to punish Naomi Osaka.

What a ******* total cop out, playing high level sport means you have to put up with the press being bellends?

As I said earlier its no wonder the press can do what the **** they like, because people are jealous of those who work hard, become top of their sport and earn the money that goes with it, they should have to put up with shit for the media.

Except for Alex Ferguson of course, because hes special.

Entertainers have to deal with the press being bellends just as soldiers have to contend with stackers being bellends - it goes with the job.

I presume from your vehemence that we're discussing yet another aspect of the commercial world of which you have no direct experience?

Entertainers have to deal with the press being bellends just as soldiers have to contend with stackers being bellends - it goes with the job.

I presume from your vehemence that we're discussing yet another aspect of the commercial world of which you have no direct experience?

Have to? Who says they have to? Oh right, fat old sweaty men who would be quite happy for their daughters to get shit from the press when all they want to do is their sport?

You just sound like a bloke who is jealous that people get of their arse, earn a crust through their skill and should accept abuse because they are successful.

Two weeks of Wimbledon fucked up your summer?
Yeah, but it was never just two weeks was it? It always leaked on out into extra time, and some f ucking final knocked the movie you really wanted to see out the window. Don't mention the build up either and that crap, it was endless, I had to discover cider to get over it.

They need to change the rules. No sportsman/woman should be obliged to give press conferences, or speak to the media.
No sportsperson is obliged to speak to the media. However, if they voluntarily sign a contract (that is, accept a job) where it's a condition, then they are expected to.

Have to? Who says they have to? Oh right, fat old sweaty men who would be quite happy for their daughters to get shit from the press when all they want to do is their sport?

You just sound like a bloke who is jealous that people get of their arse, earn a crust through their skill and should accept abuse because they are successful.
I think that you will find the marketting people are more likely to be young thrusters of both sexes (and a couple of other sexes), backed up by young people of both sexes (caveat as above) who have worked out to the dime/centime/cent what they pay and what they expect in return.

I think that you will find the marketting people are more likely to be young thrusters of both sexes (and a couple of other sexes), backed up by young people of both sexes (caveat as above) who have worked out to the dime/centime/cent what they pay and what they expect in return.

The journalists tend to be as I described them and its a safe bet it describes those on here who think the press should have free reign when it comes to people who work hard to be top of their sport.

If you want lots pf people to watch and pay for what you're doing, you have to spend at least part of your life letting them know that you're doing it and making them care enough to spend time and money in your direction. Refusing to do interviews is one way to play the game but there is always the risk with that approach that everyone agrees that you've got nothing to say.

Shouting 'look at me' to the mob is the essence of entertainment but it's also an uncertain enterprise. There's a serious upside if you get it right and and serious upside if you don't.

Anyone who doesn't like the odds is at liberty to simply embrace obscurity and post on Arrse.

We're all agreed then?

1. Sponsors smother millionaire tennis player in cash and flattery.

2. Millionaire tennis player start believing own publicity and throws a strop.

3. Sponsors look for new tennis player to smother in cash and flattery.

4. @stacker1 wonders why he can't stop punching himself in the face.

5. Rest of thread participants continue to punch @stacker1 in the face with his own fist.

Do you watch this woman and her interviews?

No I havent because I also said

I support her stance on thinking that the press are *******,

&

It would be far better for her to attend the conference and call the press *******.

The truth is, I generally support anyone ******* the snidey press off, even Corbyn when he was being harassed walking down the street.

She stood up for herself, paid the fines and has now quit. She had the courage to stand by her conviction unlike some people on here.

No, I didn't watch this woman or her interviews. I don't like tennis and I'd never heard of her until all this fuss started.

I don't disagree with your views regarding the press. They are, at the best of times, a bunch of winkers. They spend time building people up with the sole intention of ripping them down again. They don't have any real interest in the subjects of their interviews, they are just a means to an end which is to fill the sports pages of their newspapers. There is nothing new in this and I'm sure we can all remember how often the word 'gutter' was inexorably linked to the word 'press'. I do think the media, both press & broadcast, need reigning in.

I did hear on the wireless on my way into work this morning that she is suffering from anxiety and depression. If this is truly genuine then that puts a different slant on things. I know mental health issues can be debilitating but although she has claimed MH issues I remain to be properly convinced that she isn't just using it as an excuse not to do interviews. She doesn't want to do interviews with the press corps but she seems quite happy to post on social media as seen up thread on her t@tter feed.

The journalists tend to be as I described them and its a safe bet it describes those on here who think the press should have free reign when it comes to people who work hard to be top of their sport.

i see John Inverdale is the BBC lead for tennis at the Roland Garos.

the same John Inverdale who reported on Marion Bertolis winning Wimbledon with

"I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14: 'Listen, you're never going to be a looker, you are never going to be somebody like a Sharapova, you're never going to be 5ft 11, you're never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that,'" he said.

Tennis and the media really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, the problem is not the young people striving to be the best in their sport and calling out the, largely middle aged entitled journalists having repeated pops at them.

it is the media and tournament organisers themselves

No, I didn't watch this woman or her interviews. I don't like tennis and I'd never heard of her until all this fuss started.

I don't disagree with your views regarding the press. They are, at the best of times, a bunch of winkers. They spend time building people up with the sole intention of ripping them down again. They don't have any real interest in the subjects of their interviews, they are just a means to an end which is to fill the sports pages of their newspapers. There is nothing new in this and I'm sure we can all remember how often the word 'gutter' was inexorably linked to the word 'press'. I do think the media, both press & broadcast, need reigning in.

I did hear on the wireless on my way into work this morning that she is suffering from anxiety and depression. If this is truly genuine then that puts a different slant on things. I know mental health issues can be debilitating but although she has claimed MH issues I remain to be properly convinced that she isn't just using it as an excuse not to do interviews. She doesn't want to do interviews with the press corps but she seems quite happy to post on social media as seen up thread on her t@tter feed.

She doesnt have to take questions from **** wits on twitter and she can use it when she wants. No problem with that.

Its a shame that it takes someone complaining about MH issues to highlight the press being cnuts though.

i see John Inverdale is the BBC lead for tennis at the Roland Garos.

the same John Inverdale who reported on Marion Bertolis winning Wimbledon with

"I just wonder if her dad did say to her when she was 12, 13, 14: 'Listen, you're never going to be a looker, you are never going to be somebody like a Sharapova, you're never going to be 5ft 11, you're never going to be somebody with long legs, so you have to compensate for that,'" he said.

Tennis and the media really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, the problem is not the young people striving to be the best in their sport and calling out the, largely middle aged entitled journalists having repeated pops at them.

it is the media and tournament organisers themselves

Meh, according to some on here, they should just put up with it.

Its a shame that it takes someone complaining about MH issues to highlight the press being cnuts though.

Don't get me wrong, I've always believed they are. That wasn't the point of my argument. My point, as you well know, and as others have also said, is about someone signing a contract and no fulfilling the terms of that contract. Especially if that person has had a hissy fit.

Don't bother mentioning Ferguson again because I don't know what he did or didn't do or why or when he did or didn't do it. And couldn't care less.

Don't get me wrong, I've always believed they are. That wasn't the point of my argument. My point, as you well know, and as others have also said, is about someone signing a contract and no fulfilling the terms of that contract. Especially if that person has had a hissy fit.

Don't bother mentioning Ferguson again because I don't know what he did or didn't do or why or when he did or didn't do it. And couldn't care less.

The terms of the contract will be something along the lines of talk to the press, not take shit from the press.

Why cant I mention Ferguson? It was alright for one of the most successful football managers to do it. Just not ok if a young woman does it.

The terms of the contract will be something along the lines of talk to the press, not take shit from the press.

Why cant I mention Ferguson? It was alright for one of the most successful football managers to do it. Just not ok if a young woman does it.
If the terms of the contract are to talk to the press then talk to the press. If the press start giving out shit then give it back. They'll soon stop when they don't get the soundbites they are looking for.

Like I said, I don't know what Ferguson did or didn't do so it's a totally wasted point on me.