Strone Camp

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, May 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hidden in a treeline in the ghastly Garelochhead Training Area was a bizarre little camp, barbed wired off, hidden by trees, but with a stream running through it. It also had an enormous industrial building in there. We used it for FIBUA.

What was Strone Camp used for in the past? To me it looked like it had been deliberately hidden, despite being in the middle of nowhere.

2. I heard it is was used to test the bouncing bomb for dam busting during WW2.

3. It was used for Torpedo Testing amongst other things, Long Loch around the corner was also used to test torpedos they were fired towards Arocher and beached there On the left Bank of Long Loch is another Disused Facility

4. See Link Royal Navy Test Range Arrocher

5. All sorts of weird and secret stuff up there. ...

6. And that was just the haverbags.

It used to get used a lot for FIBUA and KP exercises. Some unlucky sods got to use it as field accommodation when GTC turned all Garelochhead-ey on them.

Prior to that, it housed testing tanks for Naval ordnance of varying sorts, I was once told.

7. I stayed there once but I cant reveal why because I would have to kill you all afterwards.

8. I've also stayed there but it was for nothing exciting! Was just curious as to any "secret" use as it seems such a random place!