Strippers + Credit Card = £5,000 debt Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by LordVonHarley, Aug 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning Fellow Arrsers,

Last night I heard a tale of a young man who ventured into a well known London strip club, the next day he awake with no memory of the night before. He checked his online banking and found he had maxed out all of his credit cards to the sum of £5k.
    He is a little worried that he has been scammed. Other than trying to get an itemised bill and recepts of the transaction from the night. What else can he do?
    Could approach the establishment and arrange a meeting with the manger to see if it was a legitamate night out or could he head down to Charing Cross nick and ask to speak someone in freud or vice (is there still a CX vice squad?).

It maybe that he was a mong and spunked his cash ligitimately. Who know's!

Advise needed.

P.S Just to add it was was not me. Being a tight fisted Scot I refuse to pay for woman :D :D :D

2. Police issue.

Sounds like he has been drugged and robbed.

3. How did they find his card, when on the raz mine lives in the sole of my shoe, It takes a big man to knock me down but it takes a very brave one to remove my shoes

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

But only one bumbling Mick to turn you into a walking collander....

5. Bollox...sounds like he's had a f*cking great time!

6. That's more down to the smell than anything else.

7. My bold - Good thinking to head down to CX. There's hundreds of Met officers in the same predicament with Amex cards. So much so, that they're holding an 'amnesty' for them to 'fess up :D

On a serious note however, best of luck to him.

8. If he had smelt my feet he would never have been unable to get in range, with a howitzer

9. Sounds like he has spunked the cash up the wall to me.

Any evidence of assault? As for drugging him, I doubt it. Get anyone pissed enough and they won't know what happened to them and will wake up in the gutter penniless.

He should take more care in future, and don't expect the Police to take it seriously. The credit card company may accept the story if pattern matching suggests fraud, but don't bank on it.

10. That's what I advised when I was told about it.

11. For £5k I would expect the strippers to not only give me a mind blowing legendary lap dance but also come around to my house and build an extension and pave my drive way!

He might of been a gimp and spunked it up the wall he might have been scammed while drunk.

12. WTF is he doing out alone,is he Billy no mates,

13. Maybe this happened?

Source http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119646/

A very funny film BTW.

14. Firstly, your friend may not have a leg to stand on if his PIN number was used to authorise the transaction. Saying that, if he believes that he has been the victim of fraud then a chargeback might be possible. Chargebacks are the bane of merchants who accept credit cards and card issuers.

However, if your friend raises a dispute either with the merchant or the card issuer, or against both, then he'll have to prove fraud or misrepresentation. It's possible that if his PIN or signature were not provided at the time of transaction then his card was used online by those involved. This would be a clear case of fraud. However, if his PIN was used to authorise the transaction then fraud will be difficult to prove.

I recommend that he firstly takes a look at Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm

Chargeback:

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-visa-debit-cards/index.jsp

Cheers.

Edited to add:

Crikey, just realised this is the Law forum. I assumed it was the Finance forum. I'm no lawyer so shouldn't be bloody well posting here and anything I've said should be taken with a good pinch of salt.

15. Cheers for the advise. I will pass it on and see what happens.

I'm still trying to work out what he could have spend the money on.