Strikes against Iran...

Discussion in 'Syria, Mali, Libya, Middle East & North Africa' started by ScotlandsLad, Nov 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen on the news that the US and UK are going to start joint strikes against Iran...

Well we were all expecting it.
  2. The Isrealis pushing for invasion to. So, why don't do it themselves?
  3. There's a Daily Mail article here
    Iran attack 'drawn up by UK and US' as Middle East tensions rise | Mail Online

Inspired by their map of Iranian "key facilities", I thought the operation name could be HENI - Horrible Enemy Nuclear Installations.

Call me an old cynic if you will, but I take it that if Iran falls then there will be no need to bomb Syria, so this is just another cost-saving exercise.

PS I assume this will be another war where we need an invasion force of 500,000 or more, but the Daily Mail shows that we only have 151,000. Maybe (nuclear) technology will make up for the shortfall.
  4. Has anyone asked china how they feel about this?
    I seem to remember them getting a little bit edgey when this came up before.
  5. As China has large oil and gas deals with Iran, I suspect they might be a tad miffed.

From our friends over a wikipeadia…

People's Republic of China – Iran relations

China finds in Iran a permanent partner for its exports and a source for its growing energy demand. In March 2004, Zhuhai Zhenrong Corporation, a Chinese state-run company, signed a 25-year contract to import 110 million metric tons of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) from Iran. This was followed by another contract between Sinopec and Iran LNG, signed in October of the same year. The deal, worth $100 billion, adds an extra 250 million tons of LNG to China's energy supply, to be extracted from Iran's Yadavaran field over a 25-year period. In January 2009, Iran and China signed a $1.76bn contract for the initial development of the North Azadegan oil field in western Iran. In March the two countries struck a three-year $3.39 billion deal to produce liquefied natural gas in Iran's mammoth South Pars natural gas field. Because of its limited refining capacity Iran imports one third of its refined products such as petrol from China.[1][2]

In 2001, the volume of trade between Iran and China stood at $3.3 billion[3], and in 2005, the volume of Sino-Iranian trade hit US$ 9.2 billion.[4] In 2005, exports from China represented 8.3% of the total import market in Iran, giving China the second largest share of the market after Germany. China's exports to Iran have experienced particularly rapid growth in the past five years, with China replacing Japan as the world's second largest exporter to Iran. Iran's imports from China rose by 360% between 2000 and 2005. Aside from China's inexpensive products, Iran is also buying more from China for strategic reasons.[5] Iran's Deputy Minister of Commerce Mehdi Ghazanfari said trade exchanges between Iran and China will exceed $25 billion in 2008.[6] Iran is currently China's third largest supplier of crude, providing China with roughly 12 percent of its total annual oil consumption (nearly one million barrels daily).[7] Iran–China trade value reached $30 billion in 2010 and is expected to increase to $50 billion by 2015.[8]
    Ali Akbar Saheli, Iran's former representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency, said that the two countries "mutually complement each other. They have industry and we have energy resources".[9]

Iran represents a major market for China's military exports, purchasing 14% by value. Between 2005 and 2009 this represented 1,000 anti-air and anti-ship missiles and approximately 50 infantry combat vehicles.[10]
  6. Well China should be rather happy then, since Iran will soon be spending a lot more cash on Arms/tanks etc when their Army gets mullered
  7. Iran is half again as big as Iraq and Afghanistan combined and has half again as many people in it. Now that last figure is pre-Israeli nuclear strike, but still, an invasion would be foam-at-the-mouth insane. They're probably going to do airstrikes, and the Iranians are going to try to shut down Hormuz and crank up the terrorism, at which point calmer minds worldwide will be screamed out of office and there will be an invasion. Which will likely turn out half again as successful as our previous efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. In the end Europe and the US are going to be bankrupt, the world economy in the crapper, Tehran and Tel Aviv will be glowing craters - there's a silver lining to every cloud I guess -, and a bunch of people will have had bits blown off. And not a thing anyone can do to prevent it because the people in charge of deciding how much of a mess it will be are the world-reknowned paragons of levelheadedness that are the leaders of Iran and the Israel. Cracking effort!
  8. Link?
  9. Shall we get started then? :)
  10. UK military steps up plans for Iran attack amid fresh nuclear fears | World news | The Guardian

Armageddon 2012 seems to have some merit...

Then again...

In anticipation of a potential attack, British military planners are examining where best to deploy Royal Navy ships and submarines equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles over the coming months as part of what would be an air and sea campaign. credible is the reporting?
    However, when you consider how long it takes to get an American unit home,, maybe they are thinking of taking a short cut home... and with Iraq having said go home, no forward bases here, perhaps they are looking elsewhere...
  11. Iran looks to be pretty tooled up. This one will need serious thinking about. I don't think the 'figure it out as we go' approach is going to work this time.

Seems even the press are waiting for the nukes to start flying.

My approach would be polititians first, lead from the front and all that, good stuff.
  12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

13. A94

We need to be very and I mean very careful about who we're going to have a dig on next. Iran as mentioned above by some of you is an incredibly hostile place but more worryingly its the aspect of the unkown. As we all know the Iranians are tooled up good and proper however what are they tooled up with? Do we really do another Iraq and venture into the unknown again, Irans links with the Russians along with China and North Korea is enough for me to say maybe we should seriously re-consider a sufficent threat towards the Iranians and all the potential nuclear capablities they may have.However if they want a scrap....we'll give them one! Does anyone have the link which brought this whole topic up, this is the first I've heard about it?
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Do a Google. Its all over the place. The slave owning theocracy chaps are on side. Israel's Warnings On Iran Get Quiet Nods In Gulf : NPR

Nice quote from Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak talking to the BBC. "We live in a tough neighborhood. No mercy for the weak."

I feel I may rethink my plan to bring MacDonalds to Mashhad.
  15. A94

Cheers, I will further look into it. Im liking the quote, im sure Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ("ahmadinner-jacket" as quoted by bush himself) is a fan of Mac Donalds, however I don't really want to wait to find out!
    Its the fear of the unkown thats getting to me on this whole topic, along with the whole "Would a British prime minister ever refuse a plea from a US president to join America in a controversial military operation?" This movement is a movement too far! its financially un-viable and not to mention the Country we're sticking our fingers up too. We need to be very careful to how we approach this situation as Iran are incredibly volatile.