Stretching

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by moonmonkey1, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now i always stretch before and after running, but recently I have been getting a pain on my left leg to the right of my shins if that makes sense to you all.
    Just wondering if anyone knew of any stretches for this area??

2. I find the best thing to do is circle your foot round its full range of motion 20 times in each direction as part of your warm up and cool down. Those pains go away as you get more accustomed to running by the way so dont worry about it too much.

J.

3. Sound advice from JayCam there, moonmonkey! However, since you say the pain is to the right of your shin in your left leg, it wouldn't harm just to nip into a "proper" sports shop and get them to check your running style on the old band. It may well be that a pair of corresponding insoles (or even different running shoes matched more to your stride style) could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

MsG

4. I don't think it is the running shoes, as I have 'proper' running shoes, not trainers - and got the fella in the shop to check it was right for my type of foot and arch of the foot etc.
    I will try the circling the foot and see how that works - I can't see how I didn't think of it! :wink:
    It's not that I am 'new' to running, and its not the sort of pain to make me stop or slow down its just one of those niggling ones. I do 3,5 and 8 milers on alternate days so it may just be a case of rest it for longer than the weekend.

5. Sure it aint the start of shin-splints?

6. I hope not!
    Thats the thing though, i know what painfull shins are like from those first few miles of tabs till they warm up, and it feels further around than that.