Strensall

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by olleyuk, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm due to go my RSW at strensall in a couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions to ask anyone who might have been on a recent RSW there.

1) Am i likely to do the 'How many press-ups/sit-ups can you do in two minutes test?' (I Hope so cos i can do tons of them but i'm crap at pull-ups)
    2) What are the numbers like? Are there plenty taking part?

Cheers

2. Chap,

You'll probably get some comments about 'been asked/answered many times before' and 'use the search'. Both of which are correct but anyway, seeing as you asked and I'm going through phase(A) at strensall...

1, Nope....Unless the RSW tests have changed you will not have to do pressups / sit-ups. You will have to do pull-ups / heaves but it's best effort and on my selection weekend most folks were only making 6-10 anyway. You will have other strength/fitness tests but nothing too serious. The go-for-broke one is the run, which you need to do your absolute best for and run in less thn 15 minutes at worst.

2, RSW weekend just gone looked like it had about 40 odd folks on it.

Hope that helps.

3. Hi - I did RSW at Strensall last year.

Unfortunately for you there were no press ups or sit-ups but did do pull ups (or some did...).

There were plenty of people on selection - about 50 or so i would reckon.

Ta

4. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Strensall... Lovely place. You'll love the canteen.

5. SSShhhhh.......Don't spoil the suprise......

That said, the food wasn't anywhere as bad as I was expecting - Yes, I've eaten considerably worse in construction yard canteen and rig messes. It does seem to give me indigestion at times though.

Total lack of hot water in the gym showers is far more of a barsteward from my perspective, but I'm probably just a big softie!

6. Strenie IS a lovely place. Best chippy in the world there.

(Ex-Strenie resident of 14 years)

7. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I must have missed that when I was there. The chinese round the corner from the main gate was no worse than a lot of other places though.

8. Cheers everybody - run is not a prob as i'm clocking around 9 mins for that but i have done an 8.52. My prob with pull-ups is that i have big legs which weigh a fair bit (it's all muscle) so it's difficult to lift them. Press-ups are miles better for me as i can do around 80 in 2 mins. Ah well, i'll give it me best shot and see what happens.

9. I am in Strensall on Saturday on my way to Wembley for York's play off final, and the first place I am off to is the chippy. Cant wait. Love Strenie.

10. I've actually got strangely fond of the place myself but I won't miss the cold showers!

11. Are Coveralls the order of the day? I have been told by my unit that they aren't. However, someone mentioned that they were worn and had to be supplied by your unit.

My unit say it's just sports kit and numbered bib.

12. In my experience your unit is correct....

13. cheers