Strengthening Vastus Medialis

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Snoreador, Dec 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear collective wisdom of ARRSE,

I'm after suggestions for exercises which can focus specifically on the Vastus Medialis - the strength of one of mine is slightly weak, so could do with some focus in my training. I'm doing squats and lunges, any other recommendations?

2. Lots of porridge
  3. Well, that would help to keep me regular at least. I've reverted to a child's breakfast in this cold weather - weetabix with warm milk. Does that count?
  4. I presume you're talking about the muscle on the inside of each knee, that looks like a teardrop when relaxed?

If so, put a small ball (bigger than a tennis ball, smaller than a football) between knees, grip knees together and do squats. Start with small number of reps, a couple of sets and then move up.

I'm not a physio or RI, so take this with the usual internet pinch of salt....
  5. The very same... Will give it a go - thanks. At least it's easy to see if the muscle is being targeted by an exercise or not!
  6. what? What's the recommendation or proposal? While I do not disagree with you, all you have effectively done is to say "Look, the lights have been left on in the cellar". What ACTION do you suggest?
  7. I get painful knees on occasion, due to liking deadlifts and squats way too much in my leg workout, and neglecting the very same muscle you are wishing to strengthen. My Physio suggested single leg split squats with a couple of dumb bells in either hand, with the other leg up on a bench behind you. Hurts like a bitch after 4 sets of 10, and I occasionally do pull my ass cheeks when I go a bit too heavy, but the pain in the knee goes immediately. Highly recommend it, so long as your knee is otherwise generally sound.

Dumbbell Single Leg Split Squat