Strength building

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tiny_recy_mac, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have joined the REME as a Recy mac (stop laughting) and can lift the hernia bar ok but would like to know the best way to build actual usable strenght/endurance for this kind of role, not just how to bulk up.
    Cheers

2. For strength: compound exercises(Bench, Squat etc)with free weights. Heavy weights and low reps(3 - 5). This type of training builds strength/power without too much bulking up.

For muscular endurance, try Kettlebells.

3. Tis good to see someone else recommending kettlebells, an absolutly awesome training tool imo

4. Olympic lifts?

5. Very effective, but relatively complicated. They require specalist coaching before the novice lifter can perform them correctly - and safely.

6. Brute strength

Squat, deadlift, over head press, over head squats and zercher deadlift.

You bulk up through excess calories. Hypertrophy occurs if you have these and work in the 8-12 rep range.

Brute strength is 1-3 reps, going up to 5. I would throw in some 8's and 12s periodically as well if you need the endurance (body builders, while not strong for their size, do have a good strength endurance).

7. And are more likely to cause injury (in untrained althetes anyway).

8. Exactly my point. :)

You can't go far wrong if you base a program around the Big Three: Squat, Bench and Dead-Lift.

With those high-percentage lifts as you're core, you can add exercises like Pull-Ups, Dips and Kettlebells if and when you require them.

9. A lot of martial artists, particularly Grappling(BJJ and MMA)and the Krav Maga boys are using Kettlebells now.

I would'nt replace barbells and dumbells with KB, but they make a very good addition to any training program that aims to develop "functional strength". 8)

10. hmm, maybe oly lifts after they've got the squat and deadlift techniques sorted out, depending on coaching.

11. Looking at Kettlebells, their defining feature is that the centre of mass is way displaced from the handle, which means that generally you can't press them. It also means that sometimes you don't do a true lift - the handle has to be allowed to rotate through your hand - think about a curl, you are never lifting more than the weight (obviously) but you are lifting less near the top as it tucks in to your forearm.

Am I missing something? Doesn't a normal dumbell allow you to do all the flinging about momentum stuff and do "normal" training?

12. I agree with you. I fail to see the advantage of a KB over a DB because of the shifting of the centre of mass. Plus, have you seen the cost of those things.

13. I agree except for the bench. I'm more of the strict overhead press camp when it comes to pushing.

I would think pull ups should be included in that list of must do's.

I would also say after 6 months-1 year of lifting if someone can find themselves a coach, that would be a good time to try out OL. If in doubt, some dynamic lifting goes along way in conjunction with some lifts (squat, push press). The clean isn't that hard to learn, but can be awkward to get into the groove.

14. because when your flinging those things around, your body uses a tonne of muscle to try and stabilise and support the weight, more so then with a dumbell. i think?

15. Don't you find the overhead press to be limiting, since you can lift less weight than on the bench press?

I use the overhead lift as well, but I'm stronger on the bench. Most people are.