Strategic, long-range cannon.

Durandal1

Old-Salt
A video was posted a while back about WW2 German long range artillery and I can't find it to link to this interesting Facebook post about ramjet assisted shells...

Looks like the noggies have been busy...appears like it can be simply added to the stores and used in current 155mm guns.

UKTAP

LE
I thought the main reason for using conventional artillery munitions rather than rockets was cost and quantity, i.e. you can buy/manufacture and move to the battlefield more conventional munitions than you could the equivalent quantity of rockets to have the same effect.

By adding rocket engines to conventional shells, does this not negate the main cost/weight advantage, and would you not just be better off using guided rockets in the first place?

I'd ask a Gunner to comment, but they are the reason why we still seem to pursue conventional artillery over rockets.

Same goes for tanks to a lesser degree.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
I thought the main reason for using conventional artillery munitions rather than rockets was cost and quantity, i.e. you can buy/manufacture and move to the battlefield more conventional munitions than you could the equivalent quantity of rockets to have the same effect.

By adding rocket engines to conventional shells, does this not negate the main cost/weight advantage, and would you not just be better off using guided rockets in the first place?

I'd ask a Gunner to comment, but they are the reason why we still seem to pursue conventional artillery over rockets.

Same goes for tanks to a lesser degree.
IIRC that Base Bleed was a relatively cheap and easy boost to standard Arty shells to increase range and the ability to reach out and touch someone?

UKTAP

LE
IIRC that Base Bleed was a relatively cheap and easy boost to standard Arty shells to increase range and the ability to reach out and touch someone?
I get base bleed. But putting an entire jet engine into a shell doesn't strike me as cheap.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The prototype for Gerald Bull’s project HARP gun is in Barbados.

It’s just about visible on Google Maps. If you go to the eastern end of the runway at Grantley Adams airport and look at the beach you should see it.

My step grandfather lives on the island and he took me there some years back. It involved climbing a few fences and sneaking around a bit, but it’s worth the effort.

It’s a crazy place, first thing you see is a crashed plane on a beach, then there are caves just full of 1960s computer equipment, all just dumped in there. The whole place is like something from an old James Bond movie or some weird sci fi thing.

There are a few naval guns dotted around that were used for testing and ranging and then you get to the HARP gun just sat there rotting away. It is massive, you can get inside it.

He actually has one of the martlet projectiles which he found there. It’s like a big metal dart about 6ft long. They had a wooden sabot.

It’ll be nearly 20 years since we went exploring there but it was all fairly undisturbed. I believe it’s MOD (or the Bajan equivalent) land so no one goes there. Most people don’t even know it’s there.

CC627C01-67AD-4469-81B1-89BA83F30874.jpeg

Last edited:

Mufulira

Old-Salt
The prototype for Gerald Bull’s project HARP gun is in Barbados.

It’s just about visible on Google Maps. If you go to the eastern end of the runway at Grantley Adams airport and look at the beach you should see it.

My step grandfather lives on the island and he took me there some years back. It involved climbing a few fences and sneaking around a bit, but it’s worth the effort.

It’s a crazy place, first thing you see is a crashed plane on a beach, then there are caves just full of 1960s computer equipment, all just dumped in there. The whole place is like something from an old James Bond movie or some weird sci fi thing.

There are a few naval guns dotted around that were used for testing and ranging and then you get to the HARP gun just sat there rotting away. It is massive, you can get inside it.

He actually has one of the martlet projectiles which he found there. It’s like a big metal dart about 6ft long. They had a wooden sabot.

It’ll be nearly 20 years since we went exploring there but it was all fairly undisturbed. I believe it’s MOD (or the Bajan equivalent) land so no one goes there. Most people don’t even know it’s there.

View attachment 488210
IIRC some of Gerry Bull's proteges that when rejoined the lab in Canada were most respectful of Gerry as he paid them very well and delighted in the civvy projects. His outstanding rejigging of US Naval shipboard guns enabling a severe stonk on Viet Minh shore artillery, this got him a US medal of ****. Most of his team were not aware of his other potential exploits with the Iraqis namely the 210mm Israeli City Smasher gun until poorold Gerry received "3 in the back and 2 in the head" from surly operatives in Brussels. His former colleagues always sat with their backs to the wall and never near a window after that feat

Latest Threads