Strategic, long-range cannon.

Except drones are vulnerable to many things as well, and are not cheap items to procure.
The cheapest option out of the lot and reusable. As I've said, the plan is for these things to sit at about 70,000 ft in the polar region until needed and then sent on their merry way. The only limiting factor is the number of times the battery can be recharged. Commercially they will be replacing satellites. Boeing's biggest breakthrough has been to come up with a lightweight design that is able to cope with the wind speeds at these altitudes.

The cheapest option out of the lot and reusable. As I've said, the plan is for these things to sit at about 70,000 ft in the polar region until needed and then sent on their merry way. The only limiting factor is the number of times the battery can be recharged. Commercially they will be replacing satellites. Boeing's biggest breakthrough has been to come up with a lightweight design that is able to cope with the wind speeds at these altitudes.
How would these drones be able to loiter for months on end with live ordinance?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
These you mean Dover in the Crosshairs – Hitler’s Four-Year Artillery Bombardment of Southern England - MilitaryHistoryNow.com
snip

German gun emplacements like this hurled hundreds of shells across the English Channel during World War Two. (Image source: German Federal Archive)

German gun emplacements like this hurled hundreds of shells across the English Channel during World War Two. (Image source: German Federal Archive)

One of the many high-calibre guns near Calais. (Image source: WikiCommons)

"Between 1940 and 1944, some of the heaviest artillery in the Axis arsenal hurled salvo after salvo of high explosive shells at England’s southeastern coast. Britain responded in kind. The ensuing long-range duel raged intermittently for more than four years, killing hundreds. Yet to this day, the fight for control of the English Channel remains one of the lesser-known chapters of World War Two."
"The guns ranged in size from comparatively “light” 8-inch cannons capable of lobbing explosives up to 33 kilometres, to massive 16-inch radar-controlled weapons, which could hurl one-ton projectiles more than 50 kilometres."
nah not that little pop gun
this big beast

That concept would never be feasible to attack targets. Unless you can get a ramjet powered drone to sprint thousands of miles quickly, it ain’t gonna work.
Please read post #30 again!

I think many of our forum members are forgetting, that this weapon will also be purely conventional. In the coming years the US could use the Minuteman 3’s as a conventional global strike weapon. However that would cause to many people to change pants, when one of those puppies is launched.
It would only be your assurance that it was conventional and thus the opposition would have to trust you. I think there might be small problem in that area.

It would only be your assurance that it was conventional and thus the opposition would have to trust you. I think there might be small problem in that area.
Yes just like Russian cruise missiles that are nuclear capable. Some platforms don’t send the correct message.

Your concept model is something that moves slower than old people shag.
Not my concept, but why do you keep referring back to something I highlighted at the start (that it's main disadvantage was the time it would take to deploy from the polar regions to the target area). If you were prepared to pre-deploy then it will last in the target area for about 100 days (IIRC) before the batteries will need to be replaced.

I feel that you are another person who has not read the thread through. May I politely suggest that you read through all the posts from the start. It should answer all your questions and put everything in context.

Last edited:
Not my concept, but why do you keep referring back to something I highlighted at the start (that it's main disadvantage was the time it would take to deploy from the polar regions to the target area). If you were prepared to pre-deploy then it will last in the target area for about 100 days (IIRC) before the batteries will need to be replaced.

I feel that you are another person who has not read the thread through. May I politely suggest that you read through all the posts from the start. It should answer all your questions and put everything in context.
It is a design concept that will not be survivable in a highly contested environment. The only purpose this might have would be as a Quasi satellite, until it is shot down. The S-400 and 500 systems will make life extremely difficult

I have read the thread and was trying to gather as much data as I could on your high flying energizer drone. The base consensus my many is that cruise missiles and drones are the way to go etc etc. But I fear many are forgetting the cost of these items, and the fact they are one shot weapons. An M982 is about 70 grand, and a Tomahawk is closer to 2 million a pop. If the powers that be think this concept is feasible the US should pursue it.

A long range arty piece that is mobile will be hard to acquire from 900 plus miles away. If this beast can shoot and scoot, then it will be very useful. If something like an M982 could be created for it, then these things can fire preplanned missions change positions rinse and repeat. All from the safety of friendly territory. If the US Army can take out a flight line, runway, radar sites etc, it will make life easier for the the other branches.

itchy300

Old-Salt
It is a design concept that will not be survivable in a highly contested environment. The only purpose this might have would be as a Quasi satellite, until it is shot down. The S-400 and 500 systems will make life extremely difficult

I have read the thread and was trying to gather as much data as I could on your high flying energizer drone. The base consensus my many is that cruise missiles and drones are the way to go etc etc. But I fear many are forgetting the cost of these items, and the fact they are one shot weapons. An M982 is about 70 grand, and a Tomahawk is closer to 2 million a pop. If the powers that be think this concept is feasible the US should pursue it.

A long range arty piece that is mobile will be hard to acquire from 900 plus miles away. If this beast can shoot and scoot, then it will be very useful. If something like an M982 could be created for it, then these things can fire preplanned missions change positions rinse and repeat. All from the safety of friendly territory. If the US Army can take out a flight line, runway, radar sites etc, it will make life easier for the the other branches.
You mention it being a mobile platform, in what way do you see it being mobile? Railway cart, broke down into multiple loads for road or plane or something different all together?

Where do you see it being based compared to its targets (ie. Effective range)

You mention it being a mobile platform, in what way do you see it being mobile? Railway cart, broke down into multiple loads for road or plane or something different all together?

Where do you see it being based compared to its targets (ie. Effective range)
It would have to be air mobile and road mobile. The idea would be to upscale something already in the inventory, not create a German railway behemoth.

Philippines, Japan, South Korea and other places that are close to China and their instillations of importance. As close to a thousand miles as possible would be the best.

itchy300

Old-Salt
It would have to be air mobile and road mobile. The idea would be to upscale something already in the inventory, not create a German railway behemoth.

Philippines, Japan, South Korea and other places that are close to China and their instillations of importance. As close to a thousand miles as possible would be the best.
I see where you're coming from now, I had visions of a super death canon in a secret volcano base blasting the Kremlin from Hawaii hahaha

It might have a place especially in a situation where electronic warfare has shut down all our fancy gadgets and left us with boots, rifles and a load of corned beef hash in little bags.

It'd be good as a secondary to tomahawks etc. For hitting not quite top priority targets but hitting lots of them and causing disruption in depth. My concern would be how to select targets, if you put drones overhead you might aswell get the drone to fire a missile. Not sure how timely data from satellites is or how long they are over head for. Pre designating targets wouldn't be of any use as like us once it kicks off everyone would disperse.

I can see it's merits and a few sticking points but it's one of those things where (in the British army at least) we don't have the manpower or money to let people go and play then present their findings.

I see where you're coming from now, I had visions of a super death canon in a secret volcano base blasting the Kremlin from Hawaii hahaha

It might have a place especially in a situation where electronic warfare has shut down all our fancy gadgets and left us with boots, rifles and a load of corned beef hash in little bags.

It'd be good as a secondary to tomahawks etc. For hitting not quite top priority targets but hitting lots of them and causing disruption in depth. My concern would be how to select targets, if you put drones overhead you might aswell get the drone to fire a missile. Not sure how timely data from satellites is or how long they are over head for. Pre designating targets wouldn't be of any use as like us once it kicks off everyone would disperse.

I can see it's merits and a few sticking points but it's one of those things where (in the British army at least) we don't have the manpower or money to let people go and play then present their findings.
I was thinking of hitting installations that can’t be moved. Like the tiny islands the Chinese are building up. Cratering runways and dropping submunitions to deny their use to the Chinese. If you already know the grids for these locations, you don’t need to tie up other assets for extensive targeting information. The new gen Tomahawks can be retargeted in flight, so I would save those for other targets.

But the more platforms somebody has to worry about, the easier it is to overwhelm their defenses and pick them apart.

Long range arty could help kick down the door. It is worth the investment from my perspective.

Latest Threads