strange town names

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ali_Gee, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just found this - clicky it really tickled me so i looked for more.......and found this- clicky again

:D

Any more out there??

editited for mong links :roll:

2. There is a place not 20 minutes from here, called "Thong", always makes me smile when i drive past.

3. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Not so much of a strange town name, but has anyone noticed that the road to Salford from the M60 is the A666?

I thought it was kind of appropriate...

I also remember many, many, years ago an edition of the Daily Sport featured a village named Knob End. If this was a Wah or not I don't know.

4. We near Colchester there's a place called Fingringhoe!!

STILTS

P.S there is another thread on silly town/place names

5. What about Wankum, on the German/Dutch border?

Always got a giggle.

6. There used to be a Royal Naval Air Station near Lossiemouth back in the 50/60's called RNAS Twatt.

Edited to beat the system-fuck yeah! :oops:

7. Filled up there on Sunday, even after all these years I still chuckle like a big soft kid whenever I see the sign :oops:

8. Is the Schelly wagen still there?

Used to be queues back on to the autobahn at peak leave periods, cnut must have made a fortune.

9. A666 goes all the way up to Blackburn too, passing my hometown on the way, there is nothing good near it!

Driving home from Harrogate used to pass a sign for 'Fence' which generally made me giggle.

Kilmahog on the road to Crainlarich always raises a smile too (when I awake and passing through that is).

10. The one in the village is now some local company, there is an Aral garage just outside for us tax dodgers now days

The locals must have got well p*ssed off at block leave periods in the old days, people used to queue for hours to squeeze in an extra couple of Tax free Ltrs :oops:

With regards to road names I always thought the A303 was aptly named considering its location 8O

11. I was about to post just the picture - and then I realised which way the arrow is pointing! :oops:

[​IMG]

12. Check PM's mate.

13. RNAS FULMAR?

14. My personal favourite. And the newspaper article - quality!

[​IMG][​IMG]